The Sickness Racism Breeds

That being said, we will never truly eliminate racism from our society until we stop deriving our identity and self-worth from our group and begin celebrating our individuality.

Bullshit. We won't get rid of racism until whites stop making punk ass excuses like the one you just made and do what is necessary to rid racism from your communities.

How about we arrange a racist swap? I'll get to work on the lists. That ought fix things.

From where I sit -- racists of ANY color are pretty much interchangeable and use the same tactics anyways.

Apparently you sit on the floor.

When you find a racist non white that has enacted laws and policies denying whites of opportunity, then we'll talk about racists of any color.

That being said, we will never truly eliminate racism from our society until we stop deriving our identity and self-worth from our group and begin celebrating our individuality.

Bullshit. We won't get rid of racism until whites stop making punk ass excuses like the one you just made and do what is necessary to rid racism from your communities.

How about we arrange a racist swap? I'll get to work on the lists. That ought fix things.

From where I sit -- racists of ANY color are pretty much interchangeable and use the same tactics anyways.
Disagree. Only racists with power can cause large scale harm. For example white racists. All racists are not equal. We know this because of what whites have implemented world wide.

If a black person has any kind of power or authority over whites (such as a company owner or supervisor or even a police officer), they most definitely can implement racism.
There are no laws that give black people in America power or authority over whites unlike the laws that were implemented by whites when racism was lawful in the U.S.

These laws you speak of would not prevent a black employer from favoring blacks over whites in his business.

A black business owner is still required to comply with all of the civil and other employment laws which forbids discrimination, including discrimination against white people.

So is a white business owner.

A black police officer is not granted authority over others by virtue of his race, but by virtue of being an agent of the government (a law enforcement officer). That is not state sponsored discrimination.

A white officer is not granted authority over others by virtue of his race either.

If you keep flipping from institutional racism to individual acts of racism committed by racists in violation of existing law, then we'll never find any common ground from which we can begin to unravel what the actual issues are, other than individuals still engaging in unlawful racist behavior.

If you keep ignoring the fact that not every white person is guilty of racism then we'll never find any common ground from which we can begin to unravel what the actual issues are.

You must address institutional racism or you really have no place in this discussion.

I don't have to address a fucking thing. You're not even the OP so you have no place telling me what to address and what not to address.

This is not about what every white person is. It is about the fact there are whites who are racists.

No shit there are whites who are racist numbnuts. Any idiot knows that. However, if that was all that was being said here then I would have no reason to get in the discussion.

I don't get into any of these discussions to debate the fact of there being white racists. I get into these discussions because most of the other drivel you spout is unmitigated hypocritical bullshit.

And if you can't address institutional racism, you have no place in this discussion because its part of the sickness.

Institutional racism was, at one time, the law of the land. However, for some time now, it is illegal in criminal law and actionable in civil law. So, racism that you face is from individuals. The mother of racism in individuals is stupidity.

I'm not sure what can be done to eliminate stupidity.

There are no laws that give black people in America power or authority over whites unlike the laws that were implemented by whites when racism was lawful in the U.S.

These laws you speak of would not prevent a black employer from favoring blacks over whites in his business.

A black business owner is still required to comply with all of the civil and other employment laws which forbids discrimination, including discrimination against white people.

A black police officer is not granted authority over others by virtue of his race, but by virtue of being an agent of the government (a law enforcement officer). That is not state sponsored discrimination.

A white officer is not granted authority over others by virtue of his race either.

If you keep flipping from institutional racism to individual acts of racism committed by racists in violation of existing law, then we'll never find any common ground from which we can begin to unravel what the actual issues are, other than individuals still engaging in unlawful racist behavior.

If you keep ignoring the fact that not every white person is guilty of racism then we'll never find any common ground from which we can begin to unravel what the actual issues are.

You must address institutional racism or you really have no place in this discussion.

I don't have to address a fucking thing. You're not even the OP so you have no place telling me what to address and what not to address.

This is not about what every white person is. It is about the fact there are whites who are racists.

No shit there are whites who are racist numbnuts. Any idiot knows that. However, if that was all that was being said here then I would have no reason to get in the discussion.

I don't get into any of these discussions to debate the fact of there being white racists. I get into these discussions because most of the other drivel you spout is unmitigated hypocritical bullshit.

And if you can't address institutional racism, you have no place in this discussion because its part of the sickness.

Institutional racism was, at one time, the law of the land. However, for some time now, it is illegal in criminal law and actionable in civil law. So, racism that you face is from individuals. The mother of racism in individuals is stupidity.

It may be illegal in written law but the law is written to make it almost impossible to prove. You would have to be pretty stupid to admit that you are a racist and thats why you didnt hire or you fired a Black person. So basically that law is bullshit. It really only prevents white racists from bragging about what they do publicly. It still has the effect of holding Black people back. No wonder the SCOTUS admitted institutional systemic racism still exists.

Don't tell me what kind of racism I face white man.

This Is Proof That Institutional Racism Is Still Very Much A Problem
ByMia Mercado
Mar 15 2017

The roots of racism run deep. They permeate our culture beyond the existence of racial slurs and persist regardless of our first black president. To see examples of systemic racism, you don’t even need to look far. If you have gone to school, lived in a house, had a job, or been to the doctor, you’ve likely been hurt or helped by institutional racism at some point in your life.

Institutional racism, or systemic racism, is defined as the pattern of social and political systems discriminating against a group of people based on race. If you’re wondering how a school or a bank or any “thing” or “system” can be racist, ask yourself who runs those “things” and “systems.” A government or any other institution is created and run by human beings. While a building or a document cannot itself hold prejudice or beliefs (on account of...they’re made of bricks and/or paper), human beings are more than capable of holding prejudicial beliefs, and in turn, creating systems that reflect those beliefs.

My “But slavery was abolished and hate crimes are illegal” senses are tingling; this is usually the part in the conversation where laws established or struck down are used as examples of why institutional racism can’t exist. If Equal Employment Opportunity Laws make it federally illegal, how can job discrimination based on race persist? Oh, sweet, naive, hypothetical question. Making something illegal doesn’t make it go away. If that were the case, murders would never happen and even if they did, they would all be solved and the victim brought justice. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unsolved murders still very much exist. Like, there are whole basic cable channels dedicated to them.

Proof That Institutional Racism Is Still A Problem

It may be illegal in written law but the law is written to make it almost impossible to prove. You would have to be pretty stupid to admit that you are a racist and thats why you didnt hire or you fired a Black person. So basically that law is bullshit. It really only prevents white racists from bragging about what they do publicly. It still has the effect of holding Black people back.

That is why, in civil litigation, the burden of proof is 'preponderance of evidence'. Unlike criminal law, where the burden of proof is 'beyond a reasonable doubt'.

If someone is denied a job because of race, it wouldn't be difficult to prove. Does the company have any black employees? What is the ratio of qualified candidates rejected vs hired? If you make a tort case against a company you can have the court issue a subpoena duces tecum, which forces the company to provide this information.

In a tort case, you only need convince a judge or jury (depending on the monetary damages sought) there is evidence of discriminatory hiring practice to win the judgement.

That is why, in many such tort cases, the tortfeasor will settle early. The case is not difficult to prove in any company with a history of discriminatory hiring practices.

It may be illegal in written law but the law is written to make it almost impossible to prove. You would have to be pretty stupid to admit that you are a racist and thats why you didnt hire or you fired a Black person. So basically that law is bullshit. It really only prevents white racists from bragging about what they do publicly. It still has the effect of holding Black people back.

That is why, in civil litigation, the burden of proof is 'preponderance of evidence'. Unlike criminal law, where the burden of proof is 'beyond a reasonable doubt'.

If someone is denied a job because of race, it wouldn't be difficult to prove. Does the company have any black employees? What is the ratio of qualified candidates rejected vs hired? If you make a tort case against a company you can have the court issue a subpoena duces tecum, which forces the company to provide this information.

In a tort case, you only need convince a judge or jury (depending on the monetary damages sought) there is evidence of discriminatory hiring practice to win the judgement.

That is why, in many such tort cases, the tortfeasor will settle early. The case is not difficult to prove in any company with a history of discriminatory hiring practices.

Actually the process is not nearly so simple.

ByMia Mercado
Mar 15 2017

The roots of racism run deep. They permeate our culture beyond the existence of racial slurs and persist regardless of our first black president. To see examples of systemic racism, you don’t even need to look far. If you have gone to school, lived in a house, had a job, or been to the doctor, you’ve likely been hurt or helped by institutional racism at some point in your life.

Institutional racism, or systemic racism, is defined as the pattern of social and political systems discriminating against a group of people based on race. If you’re wondering how a school or a bank or any “thing” or “system” can be racist, ask yourself who runs those “things” and “systems.” A government or any other institution is created and run by human beings. While a building or a document cannot itself hold prejudice or beliefs (on account of...they’re made of bricks and/or paper), human beings are more than capable of holding prejudicial beliefs, and in turn, creating systems that reflect those beliefs.

My “But slavery was abolished and hate crimes are illegal” senses are tingling; this is usually the part in the conversation where laws established or struck down are used as examples of why institutional racism can’t exist. If Equal Employment Opportunity Laws make it federally illegal, how can job discrimination based on race persist? Oh, sweet, naive, hypothetical question. Making something illegal doesn’t make it go away. If that were the case, murders would never happen and even if they did, they would all be solved and the victim brought justice. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unsolved murders still very much exist. Like, there are whole basic cable channels dedicated to them.

Institutional racism has been the law of the land in my lifetime, not just against Blacks, but against Asians, Hispanic, Jews, and Muslims.

Have other groups suffered similar economic disparities? At what point do you tell yourself that despite an uneven playing field, success is still possible for the individual?

See? Thats gobbly gook talk. Lets break this down so you can see what I mean.

Lets say the company has a token Black? That pretty much would kill any discrimination claim based on race.
Who is making the determination on who is "qualified"?
Who is the judge and who is the jury? Are they all white? Are any of them racist?
Hate to break it to you but most cases are settled. Thats how the system is designed or else the courts would be hopelessly swamped.
Last of all how many Black people looking for employment in order to survive has the time, money or energy to go through this process knowing the odds are stacked against him/her?

I didn't intimate that it was simple, Nothing related to law is simple. Law is agonizingly complex. It is much more simple to move on and apply somewhere else than to raise a civil case. It will take time, effort, and the patience of a saint. However, compared to a criminal case, a case for discriminatory hiring practices isn't difficult to prove and the potential payoff is significant.

ByMia Mercado
Mar 15 2017

Institutional racism has been the law of the land in my lifetime, not just against Blacks, but against Asians, Hispanic, Jews, and Muslims.

Have other groups suffered similar economic disparities? At what point do you tell yourself that despite an uneven playing field, success is still possible for the individual?
At what point do you tell yourself that an uneven playing field is ok? This should be your question.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
First of all, what you describe as "practicing racism" is racial oppression, which is only one among countless ways to practice racism. Secondly, as I already pointed out, the definition I cited from Webster's - race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race - is the definition of "racism". Thirdly, saying whites are the weaker race is, in a word, racism, the qualifier "practice" notwithstanding.

Fair enough. But it goes both ways, i.e., what you think of me is none of my business, is just an opinion, and is therefore irrelevant to me. This logically entails a few immutable facts. 1. Your saying that whites are the weaker race is irrelevant. 2. Your saying that I or any white person is racist is irrelevant. 3. It naturally follows from these two facts that I or any white person are not obligated to "end racism" by white people, whatever that may look like to you.
Well all I can tell you is be smarter and break down the word according to the literal definition. Racism (race) Black white etc (ism) a system. So racism is simply a doctrine or system based on race where the people with the power to implement the system do so to the detriment of other races and the benefit of their race.

Okay, by all means, let's be smarter and break down the word according to the literal definition. The word "racism" falls under the "act: practice: process" part of the definition of the suffix -ism. "System" or "class of principles" falls under the "doctrine: theory: cult" part of the definition. In other words, according to Webster's, "racism" is an act, practice or process, not a system.

Since Blacks do not have the power to implement racism the word doesnt apply.

If a black person has any kind of power or authority over whites (such as a company owner or supervisor or even a police officer), they most definitely can implement racism.

You can however say some Blacks are racist. Even that I know is a result of watching white people fuck up for centuries. If Blacks were organically racist we wouldnt have educated europeans on two separate occasions.

Was this before or after they invaded and conquered them?
You moron. A practice or process is a system. Its even a synonym. :rolleyes:

sys·tem
/ˈsistəm/
noun
  1. 1.
    a set of connected things or parts forming a complex whole, in particular.

2. a set of principles or procedures according to which something is done; an organized scheme or method.
    "a multiparty system of government"
    synonyms: method, methodology, technique, process, procedure, approach, practice
From the same dictionary, the definition of Racism: the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race (ex. "whites are the weaker race"), especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

This was long before Blacks invaded europe and brought them back from the dark ages. This is when the greeks traveled to Africa to learn science philosophy etc.

But they did invade and conquer, correct?

You still fail to understand. White racism is based upon a belief that was never proven or displayed in any behavior by blacks. In fact it has been proven to be a lie. What we are talking about is based upon a 400 year record of observed, documented and recorded behaviors by whites. There is a difference and that difference destroys your attempt to make what we say racist based on standards set by whites. You could claim racism if whites did not exhibit such behavior but the not all whites argument you employ signifies the fact that such a behavior still exists among whites. Therefore racism is an inherent problem in white people. Now whether you act on that racism, that's another story and not all whites do that.

You truly do not think of this complex matter with the necessary depth in which it must be thought out in. And that's because you have not had to. But you need to if you think you can argue with most blacks that weak argument of blacks are racist too by using the standard used on white people as if the circumstances of why we feel as we do come from the same place as whites.

And if you don't believe me, then join an all black forum that's not conservative and try peddling that argument and see what you get.

"Because most whites have not been trained to think with complexity about racism, and because it benefits white dominance not to do so, we have a very limited understanding of it (Kumashiro, 2009; LaDuke, 2009). We are the least likely to see, comprehend, or be invested in validating people of color’s assertions of racism and being honest about their consequences (King, 1991). At the same time, because of white social, economic, and political power within a white dominant culture, whites are the group in the position to legitimize people of color’s assertions of racism.Being in this position engenders a form of racial arrogance, and in this racial arrogance, whites have little compunction about debating the knowledge of people who have thought deeply about race through research, study, peer-reviewed scholarship, deep and on-going critical self-reflection, interracial relationships, and lived experience (Chinnery, 2008). This expertise is often trivialized and countered with simplistic platitudes, such as “people just need to see each other as individuals” or “see each other as humans” or “take personal responsibility.”

White lack of racial humility often leads to declarations of disagreement when in fact the problem is that we do not understand. Whites generally feel free to dismiss informed perspectives rather than have the humility to acknowledge that they are unfamiliar, reflect on them further, seek more information, or sustain a dialogue (DiAngelo & Sensoy, 2009)."

Dr. Robin DiAngelo
+1

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

I didn't intimate that it was simple, Nothing related to law is simple. Law is agonizingly complex. It is much more simple to move on and apply somewhere else than to raise a civil case. It will take time, effort, and the patience of a saint. However, compared to a criminal case, a case for discriminatory hiring practices isn't difficult to prove and the potential payoff is significant.
"It is much more simple to move on and apply somewhere else than to raise a civil case."

Why should anyone just be ok with being discriminated against? Why cant whites just stop being racist? Wouldnt that be the simplest course of action?

Why cant whites just stop being racist?

How do you instantly make people smarter? I'd really like an answer to that. Most of the people I deal with on a daily basis are weapons-grade morons.

I don't know how they are able to turn Oxygen into CO2.

How do you instantly make people smarter? I'd really like an answer to that. Most of the people I deal with on a daily basis are weapons-grade morons.

Do you really think it has anything to do with being smart? It has more to do with being insecure. How many white scientists claim to this day that Blacks are inferior?

Do you really think it has anything to do with being smart? It has more to do with being insecure. How many white scientists claim to this day that Blacks are inferior?

As per the encyclopedia britannica, a scientific publication, a white man is equivalent to 11 black men.

As per the encyclopedia britannica, a scientific publication, a white man is equivalent to 11 black men.
I agree if they mean in a white guys ability to attract head lice. :rolleyes:

Not any scientists that are taken seriously by their peers. Don't make the mistake of trying to equate education with intelligence. They aren't very closely related.

Well at least you understand this. You'd be surprised at the number of USMB members who keep insisting that because racism/discrimination is no longer lawful in the U.S. that overnight all of the racists suddenly stopped being racist. 50 EEOC civil rights cases in which the EEOC prevailed was not enough to even make one member in particular pause and wonder who that could possibly be. In fact he all but said he didn't believe that racism had actually occurred in those case and cast aspersions on the EEOC investigators/agency.

Forum List

Back