The shooting of Philando Castile

Sixty three Police Officers were killed by gunfire in 2016. About 26 members of the Military were killed in action in the same year. Which career seems more hazardous?
Both are a choice. And I'm impressed you managed to make such a pointed deduction using just 2 mutually exclusive numbers with no context or bearing.

Try having the career of being black. I've heard accounts that discrimination or prejudice is witnessed daily. If I had a choice between being black or being a police officer....i'd probably pick the latter and that is really sad.

This is one I just don't understand. Here are two indisputable facts that the video shows:
  • The victim (Philando Castile) calmly and openly admits to having a firearm on him
  • The officer yells multiple times not to reach for the firearm and is genuinely scared/panicked
As far as I can tell, this is a case of a law enforcement officer being too afraid/twitchy to be on the job. He has another officer there with him - I just don't understand why he felt the need to unloaded like he did. But - I also don't think he was some cowboy looking for a gunfight. His actions and his voice scream fear.

Watch: Horrific dash cam footage shows fatal shooting of Philando Castile

I would never tell anyone I was carrying, and where I am they can't ask, so far as I understand it.
In some states - it isn't mandatory to inform the officer before anything else.

This is one I just don't understand. Here are two indisputable facts that the video shows:
  • The victim (Philando Castile) calmly and openly admits to having a firearm on him
  • The officer yells multiple times not to reach for the firearm and is genuinely scared/panicked
As far as I can tell, this is a case of a law enforcement officer being too afraid/twitchy to be on the job. He has another officer there with him - I just don't understand why he felt the need to unloaded like he did. But - I also don't think he was some cowboy looking for a gunfight. His actions and his voice scream fear.

He reached for his back AFTER cop told him 3 times NOT to reach for anything. Clean shoot.
I'm not necessarily saying it wasn't. It just seems (on the surface) that this was an unnecessary shoot (it's hard for any of us to really say since we can't see inside the car).

But let me play devil's advocate for a moment and ask you this: if the driver openly admits to having a firearm on him, why would you think he's reaching for it to harm you? At worst, he's reaching for it to declare it. At best, he's reaching for something else.

I think you need to watch some videos of cops being shot during traffic stops. There are far too many crazy people out there to be safe rather than sorry!

Of the 146 line of duty Police Officer deaths in 2016, 63 heroic Police Officers were killed by gunfire while protecting your ungrateful asses. They will be mourned mostly by their families and friends but in the mean time a US Warship was named after a female member of congress who was shot by a crazy person. Fair enough?
Just to be clear - I come from a long line of law enforcement officers and I am not saying that this officer should be hung out to dry. I'm just saying that from the perspective of the video, this shooting seemed avoidable. Maybe it wasn't. I have no idea what the officers point of view was and what it looked like inside of that car. This is a case where a bodycam would be useful.

He reached for his back AFTER cop told him 3 times NOT to reach for anything. Clean shoot.
I'm not necessarily saying it wasn't. It just seems (on the surface) that this was an unnecessary shoot (it's hard for any of us to really say since we can't see inside the car).

But let me play devil's advocate for a moment and ask you this: if the driver openly admits to having a firearm on him, why would you think he's reaching for it to harm you? At worst, he's reaching for it to declare it. At best, he's reaching for something else.

I think you need to watch some videos of cops being shot during traffic stops. There are far too many crazy people out there to be safe rather than sorry!
I've seen my fair share. If someone intends to shoot an officer - they aren't going to declare that they are armed. They want the element of surprise.

I've seen my fair share. If someone intends to shoot an officer - they aren't going to declare that they are armed. They want the element of surprise.

You would think that, wouldn't you? But who honestly knows what this idiot was thinking?

Always expect the unexpected.

Why is it a political issue anyway? It's kind of strange that we live in an era of a non-stop war against terrorists and the media rightfully mourns each and every member of the Military killed in action but there were only 26 members of the Military killed in action in 2016 and there were 146 Police Officers killed in action during the same time span. Leftie arm chair fans of Police "reality shows" feel free to micro manage Police Officers because that's what you do if you vote democrat.

Last edited:
I really wish more police used methods to subdue rather than kill.
I agree. A taser absolutely incapacitates. Why not tase him if he's reaching? If a citizen reacted with this kind of force, I wonder how many would be found to be "justified"? Probably 1 in 100 at best. 99 would be charged with cold-blooded murder.

That was cold blooded murder. He had no reason to unload like that.

The US justice system is stacked against citizens.

While I'm inclined to agree with you - I'm not sure we can make that statement with the certainty that you are. We can't see inside of that automobile from this video.

But this really seems like an unnecessary shooting to me.

Same scenario, but the driver is a white woman . You think the cop reacts the same ?

While I'm inclined to agree with you - I'm not sure we can make that statement with the certainty that you are. We can't see inside of that automobile from this video.

Either way... It's a tragedy.

Because the first thing you learn in CC is don't reach for anything. You tell the officer where your gun is and he takes care of that situation. You certainly don't tell him you're armed and then go digging around for an ID.

He didn't give that cop a a chance to secure the situation. And he's dead. Oops.

Of course he sounded scared because he was scared. Of what, well...we all know why but will never admit it.
The guy who said he has a gun and went digging through his saggy shorts right? Do we all not know why?

Either way... It's a tragedy.
For who? The cop went home.

The officer asked him for his license and insurance. THAT'S what he was reaching for.

The "officer" has been fired. The victim wasn't a "perp", he was a black motorist with a broken tail light and a legal weapon he had a permit to carry.

The cop should have been convicted.

Of course he sounded scared because he was scared. Of what, well...we all know why but will never admit it.
Why?

The officer asked him for his license and insurance. THAT'S what he was reaching for.

The "officer" has been fired. The victim wasn't a "perp", he was a black motorist with a broken tail light and a legal weapon he had a permit to carry.

The cop should have been convicted.
Actually he had already handed him the insurance and when you are ORDERED THREE TIMES NOT to grab something then DON'T GRAB IT! Stop,tell cop you are getting your license out.....THEN proceed.

Forum List

Back