The Shawn Bradley Case

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

Well, it doesn't look like we are going to learn anything more significant about the Shawn Bradley bicycle accident, that left him a paraplegic.

But consider the tort situation. Bradley was riding his bike where he was legally entitled to ride, and a woman comes along and hits him, knocking him over a nearby parked car. The injuries will leave him permanently in a wheelchair, if all goes well.

Her "defense," at least initially was that she "gave him plenty of room." Tort lawyers know that this is no defense at all. She negligently hit him with her car which, like it or not, is a deadly weapon. To claim that she gave him a lot of room is less than irrelevant.

While Bradley is undoubtedly wealthy enough to work through this for the rest of his natural life, one suspects that he will sue the woman for damages for negligence, which would be an open&shut case. Damages will far exceed the limits on the woman's liability policy, but will he go after her personal assets, if any?

Bradley intends to use this incident to mount a campaign to encourage bicycle safety, and bicycle awareness on the part of drivers. As a bicyclist myself, I personally avoid such situations like the plague. I have a neurotic fear of a quick door opening from a parked car, leading to my equally quick demise.

Bikes are becoming more and more popular these days, as are electric bikes, which can travel at ludicrous speeds on paved roads. Let Bradley's tragedy be a lesson to all of us, drivers and bikers alike. The best lessons learned are learned at someone else's expense, eh?

Nearly every serious bike rider I know has had a bad bike accident. In addition to vehicle accidents, many are just from losing control due to gravel, rain, train tracks or road hazards. I got a mountain bike, but ride almost exclusively on a non-motorized vehicle paved path.

I doubt Shawn Bradley will go after her personnel assets.
He's a devout Mormon as well as a return missionary.
I suppose the insurance settlement will be enough
If investigating officers don't place blame it will be impossible for Bradley to get the claims you're claiming
My best friend I golf with every day, wife was killed on her bike. Evidence showed he crossed 17 inches across the fog lane.
Ya know what my friend got? Nothing

Bicycles are a traffic menace and should not be allowed on public roads

Well, it doesn't look like we are going to learn anything more significant about the Shawn Bradley bicycle accident, that left him a paraplegic.

But consider the tort situation. Bradley was riding his bike where he was legally entitled to ride, and a woman comes along and hits him, knocking him over a nearby parked car. The injuries will leave him permanently in a wheelchair, if all goes well.

Her "defense," at least initially was that she "gave him plenty of room." Tort lawyers know that this is no defense at all. She negligently hit him with her car which, like it or not, is a deadly weapon. To claim that she gave him a lot of room is less than irrelevant.

While Bradley is undoubtedly wealthy enough to work through this for the rest of his natural life, one suspects that he will sue the woman for damages for negligence, which would be an open&shut case. Damages will far exceed the limits on the woman's liability policy, but will he go after her personal assets, if any?

Bradley intends to use this incident to mount a campaign to encourage bicycle safety, and bicycle awareness on the part of drivers. As a bicyclist myself, I personally avoid such situations like the plague. I have a neurotic fear of a quick door opening from a parked car, leading to my equally quick demise.

Bikes are becoming more and more popular these days, as are electric bikes, which can travel at ludicrous speeds on paved roads. Let Bradley's tragedy be a lesson to all of us, drivers and bikers alike. The best lessons learned are learned at someone else's expense, eh?
The biker is probably a freaked out global warming doomsday lib

Bicycles are a road hazard that should be operated on recreational road trails only

Forum List

Back