The "Redskins" crap is just that, Liberal Crap!!

I think the courts should stay out of it.

I also think that those who are offended should protest using every legal means available to them.

There are Braves, Indians, Blackhawks, Chiefs and Seminoles as well. All of them are accompanied by fans who paint their faces red and dance around or pretend to tomahawk chop someone.

These things are offensive to enough people that the teams/ programs ought to make changes. But....the fans themselves are NOT intentionally offending anyone. They are just being fans.

This is one of those changes that best occurs organically.

I also think that those who are offended should protest using every legal means available to them.

There are Braves, Indians, Blackhawks, Chiefs and Seminoles as well. All of them are accompanied by fans who paint their faces red and dance around or pretend to tomahawk chop someone.

These things are offensive to enough people that the teams/ programs ought to make changes. But....the fans themselves are NOT intentionally offending anyone. They are just being fans.

Face painting and Tomahawk chops offensive? How many people do you consider enough ?

Face painting and Tomahawk chops offensive? How many people do you consider enough ?

You want to argue that? You wish to dispute the fact that substantial numbers Native American people are offended by cartoon-like caricatures of their heritage?

That sort of shit is why you don't get anywhere in discussions with intelligent people.

I wonder....do you agree with the policy related portion of what I said? Enough for what?

Last edited:

You want to argue that? You wish to dispute the fact that substantial numbers Native American people are offended by cartoon-like caricatures of their heritage?

That sort of shit is why you don't get anywhere in discussions with intelligent people.

I wonder....do you agree with the policy related portion of what I said? Enough for what?

easy boy----I just wonder what kind of numbers you require to advocate a change that requires millions of people to alter their speech and behavior.

Do you consider the Washington Redskins patented emblem a cartoon-like caricature? Just asking.

The Seminole Nation in Florida is AOK with FSU, for now. None of the other team names are derogatory. Again, Black Hawk was an individual.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1zJeGf-gpc]Washington Redskins Fight Song: Hail to the Redskins - YouTube[/ame]

An 1871 novel spoke of "redskinned devils." The Rocky Mountain News in 1890 described a war on the whites by "every greasy redskin." The Denver Daily News the same year reported a rebellion by "the most treacherous red skins."

Daniel Snyder, who owns the Washington NFL franchise, has said the team name will never be changed because "what it means is tradition, what it means is competitiveness, what it means is honor." He said, "It is not meant to be derogatory."

Papers submitted in the case against the football team documented humiliating movie references by Hollywood icons Eddie Cantor, Bob Hope, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and others. In "Northwest Passage," Spencer Tracy, as a colonial explorer who hates Indians, importunes a subordinate to "Get a redskin for me, won't you?"

A Linguist's Alternative History of 'Redskin'

Just crap to someone who cares nothing about the history of this continent.

Such Drama-----TODAY the word Redskins means an NFL football team.
Evolve with the rest of us, Peach.

I love the United State of America enough to have learned the history of this nation; obviously, you 'evolved' beyond love of country:

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Santayana

Remembering the past and living in it are two different things. Your not telling us anything we don't know. You just happen to be talking about a people. We are talking about a football team.

I'm a liberal. I think the team ought to be free to use whatever name they want.

So...this is not liberal crap.

Try again.

BALONEY !!!!

It is absolutely liberal crap !! You may not care but the ones who are upset are liberals PERIOD !!!

Some are. Some are Native Americans. You are reacting to people who are concerned with how others are treated.....and whether or not others are offended. Not with the fact that those people are liberal.

Being liberal does not compel one to be upset about anything.

Such Drama-----TODAY the word Redskins means an NFL football team.
Evolve with the rest of us, Peach.

I love the United State of America enough to have learned the history of this nation; obviously, you 'evolved' beyond love of country:

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Santayana

Remembering the past and living in it are two different things. Your not telling us anything we don't know. You just happen to be talking about a people. We are talking about a football team.

Snyder didn't become a billionaire picking the wrong fights. He must have faith he'll win. As someone of a faith that has experienced attempts at genocide, he likely sees it as you do, "No big deal". Others view it differently. He will not enjoy the welcome FSU has had, once they chose to honor, rather than degrade. Again, Snyder's choice.

I'm a liberal. I think the team ought to be free to use whatever name they want.

Try again.

BALONEY !!!!

It is absolutely liberal crap !! You may not care but the ones who are upset are liberals PERIOD !!!

Nonsense.

You have no evidence of that.

This is solely about a private entity acting on its own concerning its image in the context of public relations, having nothing to do with ‘liberals.’

Try again.

BALONEY !!!!

Nonsense.

This is solely about a private entity acting on its own concerning its image in the context of public relations, having nothing to do with ‘liberals.’

No, its not. It has NOTHING to do with the private entity acting on its own but rather the government FORCING them to do it.

Harry Reid again calls on Redskins to change name | ProFootballTalk

In his speech today he DIRECTLY attributed the most recent ruling by a panel of 3 judges stripping the copyright for the Redskins to senatorial pressure.

Nothing to do with liberals? You must be joking.

You will never find a Redskins fan ANYWHERE who would insult a Native American by calling them a Redskin. Not because they're sensitive about the word but because no Redskin fan ANYWHERE considers it a derogatory term.

that may be. but native americans do.

Irrelevant. The government does not have the right to go stripping copyrights away over some people being offended. You have ZERO right to not be offended. The people can voice their concerns by not supporting the team and the name would change next week. The fact is that the people don't really care and a few clowns in the name of sensitivity are demanding that property rights be ignored so they can force a private entity to comply with their asinine version of PC.

It is sick.

You will never find a Redskins fan ANYWHERE who would insult a Native American by calling them a Redskin. Not because they're sensitive about the word but because no Redskin fan ANYWHERE considers it a derogatory term.

that may be. but native americans do.

Since when have you been to a reservation or conducted a poll of Native Americans to find out? You say they are offended because the government says they are.

You assume too much. Being one quarter Cherokee, I have little issue with the name of a football team. I love watching the Braves, who are named after Native Americans as well. Why aren't people going after them? We don't need overzealous liberals like you speaking for our people, we will speak for ourselves.

Ahh, but what about the Fighting Irish? Wouldn't that be offensive to Irish people? Hell if you really want to get ludicrous, you could say the New York Giants and San Francisco Giants are offensive to tall people. Do you realize how stupid this is?

Do you have any regard for the people who might actually BE offended by the Redskins name? But then again, some liberals have little regard for the free speech rights of others.

NO TC. Just no. Do not allow the liberals to take this to an absurd level. The point is NOT that the phrase is offensive. Whether or not it is offensive is completely irrelevant to the fact that this is a private entity and they should not be forced by the government to change their name for any reason at all. It is offensive to property rights.

Sinking to that level where we bicker about weather or not the phrase itself is offensive is exactly what the liberals are looking for - it gives them the grater point that they can control the language in the first place.

"By curtailing frivolous and "fighting" words, the Party seeks to narrow the range of thought altogether, such that eventually, thoughtcrime will be literally impossible."
Syme

BALONEY !!!!

Nonsense.

No, its not. It has NOTHING to do with the private entity acting on its own but rather the government FORCING them to do it.

Harry Reid again calls on Redskins to change name | ProFootballTalk

In his speech today he DIRECTLY attributed the most recent ruling by a panel of 3 judges stripping the copyright for the Redskins to senatorial pressure.

Nothing to do with liberals? You must be joking.

You don't understand.

If Redskins is a derogatory word, why would someone choose to name their own team " the Redskins " ? I think it's time that the liberals stop defining things for us.

It's the only way they can "win" a debate.

They attempt to set the parameters, frame the discussion and define (or RE define) the terms.

That way, if everything is continuously variable, they're never "wrong".

When they get cornered, they can just re define the terms and shift the parameters....and call people "racist". :doubt:

If Redskins is a derogatory word, why would someone choose to name their own team " the Redskins " ? I think it's time that the liberals stop defining things for us.

They attempt to set the parameters, frame the discussion and define (or RE define) the terms.

When they get cornered, they can just re define the terms and shift the parameters....and call people "racist". :doubt:

Who is "they"?

Who is "they"?

You...For instance.

That description above is a perfect fit.

Forum List

Back