The Real Story of the Stem Cell Debate

WryCatcher says:

Time will tell. Research is on-going on all sources for stem cells. In San Francisco, within sight of AT&T park, redevelopment has greated hundreds - maybe thousands - of jobs. Acres of science centered, high tech, construction and service related jobs.

Notwithstanding this benefit, If you were to read the links I offered above you might see that ESC research is on-going. The difference between the OP's opinion and reality is the scientific community doesn't limit its research to what the Right deems politically correct.

So now it's about jobs? Whats' $3Trill/300? Oh, that's only $10,000,000 per job. See the problem Wry was that there was a PERCEIVED limit placed on research. Based on actual ETHICAL questions. The type of ETHICAL questions that we are gonna run into MUCH more frequently in the future. So the CALI institute was really built PURELY for spite -- but NO ONE interfered with their scientific conclusions now did they?

The scientist in me doesn't see the handicap that ESC faced being out of proportion. Federal funding was DIRECTED more towards ASC research, but the private sector and the leftists loons seeking retribution out in Cali got to take a shot at it. Go down to ATT park and buy some ESC souvenirs now...

What we have here are the people that are afraid of any kind of science. Period. Unless it can be used for killing other people, of cours.

The irony of this statement is totally lost on you.

Beat me to it Daveman.. There MAY be some future advantage discovered for ESC techniques. I don't feel that govt decisions have impeded that one bit.. Nor has the right on ethical/moral grounds. Of which BTW, I'm not a formal member. But if I have to choose a foxhole in the name of science, it's not clear I want to jump in with you OldRocks either..

What we have here are the people that are afraid of any kind of science. Period. Unless it can be used for killing other people, of cours.

Beat me to it Daveman.. There MAY be some future advantage discovered for ESC techniques. I don't feel that govt decisions have impeded that one bit.. Nor has the right on ethical/moral grounds. Of which BTW, I'm not a formal member. But if I have to choose a foxhole in the name of science, it's not clear I want to jump in with you OldRocks either..
No, no ESC progress has been impeded, except by itself. But the meme that says "Bush outlawed all ESC research all over the world!" is alive and well, despite all evidence to the contrary.

But then, leftist memes rarely have anything to do with reality.

WryCatcher says:

Time will tell. Research is on-going on all sources for stem cells. In San Francisco, within sight of AT&T park, redevelopment has greated hundreds - maybe thousands - of jobs. Acres of science centered, high tech, construction and service related jobs.

Notwithstanding this benefit, If you were to read the links I offered above you might see that ESC research is on-going. The difference between the OP's opinion and reality is the scientific community doesn't limit its research to what the Right deems politically correct.

So now it's about jobs? Whats' $3Trill/300? Oh, that's only $10,000,000 per job. See the problem Wry was that there was a PERCEIVED limit placed on research. Based on actual ETHICAL questions. The type of ETHICAL questions that we are gonna run into MUCH more frequently in the future. So the CALI institute was really built PURELY for spite -- but NO ONE interfered with their scientific conclusions now did they?

The scientist in me doesn't see the handicap that ESC faced being out of proportion. Federal funding was DIRECTED more towards ASC research, but the private sector and the leftists loons seeking retribution out in Cali got to take a shot at it. Go down to ATT park and buy some ESC souvenirs now...

No it's not about jobs, that's an indirect benefit and not all of the reseach done at UCSF, Stanford, et al is on ESC's, per se. California voters passed Prop. 71 in 2004 authorizing $3 billion in funding, not 3 trillion (hyperbole, ignorance or an attempt to mislead?); about 1.5 billion has thus far been allocated.

Suggesting as you do spite and retribution motivated the people of CA to pass prob. 71 is absurd. The potential for treatments and even cures motivated the voters and curiosity and imagination motives researchers, who generally earn little and even a eureka moment won't be owned by any individual. Politics more than any ethical concern motivated Bush to restrict funding, the killing babies argument is both absurd and dishonest and the stuff demagogues thrive on.

No, no ESC progress has been impeded, except by itself. But the meme that says "Bush outlawed all ESC research all over the world!" is alive and well, despite all evidence to the contrary.

meme definition
philosophy
/meem/ [By analogy with "gene"] Richard Dawkins's term for an idea considered as a replicator, especially with the connotation that memes parasitise people into propagating them much as viruses do.
Memes can be considered the unit of cultural evolution. Ideas can evolve in a way analogous to biological evolution. Some ideas survive better than others; ideas can mutate through, for example, misunderstandings; and two ideas can recombine to produce a new idea involving elements of each parent idea.
The term is used especially in the phrase "meme complex" denoting a group of mutually supporting memes that form an organised belief system, such as a religion. However, "meme" is often misused to mean "meme complex".
Use of the term connotes acceptance of the idea that in humans (and presumably other tool- and language-using sophonts) cultural evolution by selection of adaptive ideas has become more important than biological evolution by selection of hereditary traits. Hackers find this idea congenial for tolerably obvious reasons.

From Dictionary.com

meme definition
philosophy
/meem/ [By analogy with "gene"] Richard Dawkins's term for an idea considered as a replicator, especially with the connotation that memes parasitise people into propagating them much as viruses do.
Memes can be considered the unit of cultural evolution. Ideas can evolve in a way analogous to biological evolution. Some ideas survive better than others; ideas can mutate through, for example, misunderstandings; and two ideas can recombine to produce a new idea involving elements of each parent idea.
The term is used especially in the phrase "meme complex" denoting a group of mutually supporting memes that form an organised belief system, such as a religion. However, "meme" is often misused to mean "meme complex".
Use of the term connotes acceptance of the idea that in humans (and presumably other tool- and language-using sophonts) cultural evolution by selection of adaptive ideas has become more important than biological evolution by selection of hereditary traits. Hackers find this idea congenial for tolerably obvious reasons.

From Dictionary.com
Richard Dawkins's term for an idea considered as a replicator, especially with the connotation that memes parasitise people into propagating them much as viruses do.​
Bingo.

Wait...did you think you were proving me wrong?

Whole chickens eh?? And chicken hawks.. Someone's hungry...

Oh well. You might remember when Bush allegedly "shut-down" ESC research, that my (former) leftist neighbors in California voted themselves THEIR VERY state funded Stem Cell Research facility. I was amazed at the time that we thought the state could afford such an expensive slap at Bush. But they were sooooo dam outraged -- money was no object...

California's Proposition 71 Failure - IBD - Investors.com

Bioethics: Five years after a budget-busting $3 billion was allocated to embryonic stem cell research, there have been no cures, no therapies and little progress. So supporters are embracing research they once opposed.

California's Proposition 71 was intended to create a $3 billion West Coast counterpart to the National Institutes of Health, empowered to go where the NIH could not — either because of federal policy or funding restraints on biomedical research centered on human embryonic stem cells.

Supporters of the California Stem Cell Research and Cures Initiative, passed in 2004, held out hopes of imminent medical miracles that were being held up only by President Bush's policy of not allowing federal funding of embryonic stem cell research (ESCR) beyond existing stem cell lines and which involved the destruction of embryos created for that purpose.

Five years later, ESCR has failed to deliver and backers of Prop 71 are admitting failure. The California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, the state agency created to, as some have put it, restore science to its rightful place, is diverting funds from ESCR to research that has produced actual therapies and treatments: adult stem cell research. It not only has treated real people with real results; it also does not come with the moral baggage ESCR does.

To us, this is a classic bait-and-switch, an attempt to snatch success from the jaws of failure and take credit for discoveries and advances achieved by research Prop. 71 supporters once cavalierly dismissed. We have noted how over the years that when funding was needed, the phrase "embryonic stem cells" was used. When actual progress was discussed, the word "embryonic" was dropped because ESCR never got out of the lab.

WEEEE DAAWWWGGIES that hurts -- don't it Wry? Now give P-Chick that whole chicken you promised.

The pro side of this mudtussle isn't shocked. The rest of you should go donate to the looming California LEFTIST appocalyptic relief fund...

"If you were to read the links I offered above you might see that ESC research is on-going."

Actually, I read the links you provided- while I was waiting for the chicken, I might add- and a perceptive reading would mark them as the kind of prospective issued by a start-up company looking for your investment...

...have you invested in such ventures?

Or, to put it another way,
If if's and but's
were candy and nuts
we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Real-World Successes of Adult Stem Cell Treatment
1. Adult stem cells (or, more accurately, tissue stem cells) are regenerative cells of the human body that possess the characteristic of plasticity--the ability to specialize and develop into other tissues of the body. Beginning in an unspecialized and undeveloped state, they can be coaxed to become heart tissue, neural matter, skin cells, and a host of other tissues. They are found in our own organs and tissues such as fat, bone marrow, umbilical cord blood, placentas, neuronal sources, and olfactory tissue, which resides in the upper nasal cavity.
Thiese ND and Krause DS, "Toward a new paradigm of cell plasticity", Leukemia 16, 542-548; 2002.
Jiang Y et al, "Pluripotency of mesenchymal stem cells derived from adult marrow," Nature 418 (July 4, 2002) 41-49.
2. Spinal cord injuries are one of the most severe forms of debilitation known to humanity. Many times they result in different forms of paralysis, including paraplegia and quadriplegia; other times they involve the immediate or imminent death of the patient. [O]lfactory mucosa transplantation, involves transplantation of stem cells found in the nasal region into the injured area (these cells include renewable neurons, remyelinating olfactory ensheathing cells, and progenitor stem cells).
3. Recent years have seen the emergence of successful adult stem cell treatment for those who have suffered from heart attacks and heart failure….a transplantation of their own blood and hematopoietic (blood-forming) stem cells into their heart arteries…skeletal muscle stem cells taken from a patient suffering from heart disease and implanted back into his heart successfully treated the condition….The capability of adult stem cells to regenerate a damaged and malfunctioning heart was clearly seen…
4. Another area in which adult stem cell therapy is demonstrating rapid advancement is the field of ophthalmology. A surgical procedure known as limbal stem cell transplantation offers hope to those suffering from corneal degeneration, blindness, and other ocular diseases. The procedure involves the extraction of stem cells from the limbus, the region of the eye between the epithelial layer of the cornea and the sclera, the eye's outer layer. The cells are typically extracted from a healthy eye of the patient himself, from a family member, or from cadaveric material. Once extracted, the limbal stem cells are implanted into the patient's defective eye. The stem cells then differentiate into corneal epithelial cells which improve the health of the outermost layer of the eye. Schwab IR et al., "Successful transplantation of bioengineered tissue replacements in patients with ocular surface disease," Cornea 19 (July 2000) 421-426.
Tsai RJ et al., "Reconstruction of damaged corneas by transplantation of autologous limbal epithelial cells," New England Journal of Medicine 343 (2000) 86-93.
5. Adult cell treatment has also shown significant results in the treatment of various autoimmune disorders. Researchers reported that, of 250 diabetics, 200 were able to discard their insulin needles for over a year after islet cell transplantation from cadavers. Fagan, Amy, "Adult stem cells produce treatment breakthroughs."
Shapiro AM et al., "Clinical islet transplant: current and future directions towards tolerance," Immunological Reviews 196 (2003) 219-236.
6. Another example of the success of adult stem cell utilization is found in the treatment of Crohn's disease. The disorder is characterized by an immune system that attacks the sufferer's digestive system. Sherman, Debra, "Adult Stem Cells Hold Hope for Autoimmune Patients," Gene, August 11, 2001. Accessed at: www.gene.ch/gentech/2001/Aug/msg00088.htm
7. [A] Long Beach resident who suffers from MS, has experienced some improvement in health as a result of receiving adult stem cells. He reported that the pain in his legs and hips is gone. Silber, Judy, "A Promising Weapon in the Fight Against MS," September 7, 2000. Accessed at: www.mult-sclerosis.org/news/Sep2000/LATimesMSStemCellTransplants.html.
8. Parkinson's disease is a disorder of the central nervous system in which the substantia nigra, a part of the brain, ceases to produce dopamine, a chemical that allows for effective motion….His own stem cells were extracted from his brain and subsequently transplanted into the left side of his brain in a 1999 procedure…he went four years without symptoms of the disease. Testimony of Dr. Michel Levesque, delivered at a hearing held by the United States Senate Subcommittee on Science, Technology, and Space on July 14, 2004. Accessed at: http://commerce.senate.gov/hearings/testimony.cfm?id=1268andwit_id=3670
9. Adult stem cell transplants are also widely used to treat such diseases as anemias, leukemias, lymphomas, and other cancers. Additional treatable diseases are Fanconi anemia, pure red cell aplasia, juvenile chronic myelogenous leukemia, juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia, immune deficiencies, and some genetic diseases. Camitta, Bruce M. and Slye, Rebecca Jean, "Treatment of Acquired Aplastic Anemia, Advanced," National Marrow Donor Program, September 25, 1998. Accessed at: www.marrow.org/MEDICAL/aplastic_anemia_advanced.html "Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, basic," National Marrow Donor Program. Accessed at: www.marrow.org/MEDICAL/nhl.html"Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, basic," National Marrow Donor Program. Accessed at: www.marrow.org/MEDICAL/all.html"Diseases Treatable by Stem Cell Transplants," National Marrow Donor Program. Accessed at: www.marrow.org/MEDICAL/diseases_ treatable_by_stem_cell_transplants.html

I ask you again to question the undeserved push and pump that ESC gets.

Or is said questioning only for the high-IQ folks?

meme definition
philosophy

From Dictionary.com
Richard Dawkins's term for an idea considered as a replicator, especially with the connotation that memes parasitise people into propagating them much as viruses do.​
Bingo.

Nope, evidence you're a hypocrite.

Whole chickens eh?? And chicken hawks.. Someone's hungry...

Oh well. You might remember when Bush allegedly "shut-down" ESC research, that my (former) leftist neighbors in California voted themselves THEIR VERY state funded Stem Cell Research facility. I was amazed at the time that we thought the state could afford such an expensive slap at Bush. But they were sooooo dam outraged -- money was no object...

California's Proposition 71 Failure - IBD - Investors.com

WEEEE DAAWWWGGIES that hurts -- don't it Wry? Now give P-Chick that whole chicken you promised.

The pro side of this mudtussle isn't shocked. The rest of you should go donate to the looming California LEFTIST appocalyptic relief fund...

"If you were to read the links I offered above you might see that ESC research is on-going."

Actually, I read the links you provided- while I was waiting for the chicken, I might add- and a perceptive reading would mark them as the kind of prospective issued by a start-up company looking for your investment...

If if's and but's
were candy and nuts

1. Adult stem cells (or, more accurately, tissue stem cells) are regenerative cells of the human body that possess the characteristic of plasticity--the ability to specialize and develop into other tissues of the body. Beginning in an unspecialized and undeveloped state, they can be coaxed to become heart tissue, neural matter, skin cells, and a host of other tissues. They are found in our own organs and tissues such as fat, bone marrow, umbilical cord blood, placentas, neuronal sources, and olfactory tissue, which resides in the upper nasal cavity.
Thiese ND and Krause DS, "Toward a new paradigm of cell plasticity", Leukemia 16, 542-548; 2002.
Jiang Y et al, "Pluripotency of mesenchymal stem cells derived from adult marrow," Nature 418 (July 4, 2002) 41-49.
2. Spinal cord injuries are one of the most severe forms of debilitation known to humanity. Many times they result in different forms of paralysis, including paraplegia and quadriplegia; other times they involve the immediate or imminent death of the patient. [O]lfactory mucosa transplantation, involves transplantation of stem cells found in the nasal region into the injured area (these cells include renewable neurons, remyelinating olfactory ensheathing cells, and progenitor stem cells).
3. Recent years have seen the emergence of successful adult stem cell treatment for those who have suffered from heart attacks and heart failure….a transplantation of their own blood and hematopoietic (blood-forming) stem cells into their heart arteries…skeletal muscle stem cells taken from a patient suffering from heart disease and implanted back into his heart successfully treated the condition….The capability of adult stem cells to regenerate a damaged and malfunctioning heart was clearly seen…
4. Another area in which adult stem cell therapy is demonstrating rapid advancement is the field of ophthalmology. A surgical procedure known as limbal stem cell transplantation offers hope to those suffering from corneal degeneration, blindness, and other ocular diseases. The procedure involves the extraction of stem cells from the limbus, the region of the eye between the epithelial layer of the cornea and the sclera, the eye's outer layer. The cells are typically extracted from a healthy eye of the patient himself, from a family member, or from cadaveric material. Once extracted, the limbal stem cells are implanted into the patient's defective eye. The stem cells then differentiate into corneal epithelial cells which improve the health of the outermost layer of the eye. Schwab IR et al., "Successful transplantation of bioengineered tissue replacements in patients with ocular surface disease," Cornea 19 (July 2000) 421-426.
Tsai RJ et al., "Reconstruction of damaged corneas by transplantation of autologous limbal epithelial cells," New England Journal of Medicine 343 (2000) 86-93.
5. Adult cell treatment has also shown significant results in the treatment of various autoimmune disorders. Researchers reported that, of 250 diabetics, 200 were able to discard their insulin needles for over a year after islet cell transplantation from cadavers. Fagan, Amy, "Adult stem cells produce treatment breakthroughs."
Shapiro AM et al., "Clinical islet transplant: current and future directions towards tolerance," Immunological Reviews 196 (2003) 219-236.
6. Another example of the success of adult stem cell utilization is found in the treatment of Crohn's disease. The disorder is characterized by an immune system that attacks the sufferer's digestive system. Sherman, Debra, "Adult Stem Cells Hold Hope for Autoimmune Patients," Gene, August 11, 2001. Accessed at: www.gene.ch/gentech/2001/Aug/msg00088.htm
7. [A] Long Beach resident who suffers from MS, has experienced some improvement in health as a result of receiving adult stem cells. He reported that the pain in his legs and hips is gone. Silber, Judy, "A Promising Weapon in the Fight Against MS," September 7, 2000. Accessed at: www.mult-sclerosis.org/news/Sep2000/LATimesMSStemCellTransplants.html.
8. Parkinson's disease is a disorder of the central nervous system in which the substantia nigra, a part of the brain, ceases to produce dopamine, a chemical that allows for effective motion….His own stem cells were extracted from his brain and subsequently transplanted into the left side of his brain in a 1999 procedure…he went four years without symptoms of the disease. Testimony of Dr. Michel Levesque, delivered at a hearing held by the United States Senate Subcommittee on Science, Technology, and Space on July 14, 2004. Accessed at: http://commerce.senate.gov/hearings/testimony.cfm?id=1268andwit_id=3670
9. Adult stem cell transplants are also widely used to treat such diseases as anemias, leukemias, lymphomas, and other cancers. Additional treatable diseases are Fanconi anemia, pure red cell aplasia, juvenile chronic myelogenous leukemia, juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia, immune deficiencies, and some genetic diseases. Camitta, Bruce M. and Slye, Rebecca Jean, "Treatment of Acquired Aplastic Anemia, Advanced," National Marrow Donor Program, September 25, 1998. Accessed at: www.marrow.org/MEDICAL/aplastic_anemia_advanced.html "Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, basic," National Marrow Donor Program. Accessed at: www.marrow.org/MEDICAL/nhl.html"Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, basic," National Marrow Donor Program. Accessed at: www.marrow.org/MEDICAL/all.html"Diseases Treatable by Stem Cell Transplants," National Marrow Donor Program. Accessed at: www.marrow.org/MEDICAL/diseases_ treatable_by_stem_cell_transplants.html

When, and post the evidence, did I ever write ASC treatments were failures? You suggest without evidence that ESC's are and always will be failures. To borrow a phrase "it's really that simple".

ASC's are not the be all end all of such theraphy's, hopefully. Suggesting funding for ESC's is based on graft or greed, as I infer from your posts, would be uber ignorant; though I suspect it is not ignorance which motivates your obsessions. You still don't get it and continue with childish personal attacks. That's quite sad, really.

If if's and but's
were candy and nuts

When, and post the evidence, did I ever write ASC treatments were failures? You suggest without evidence that ESC's are and always will be failures. To borrow a phrase "it's really that simple".

ASC's are not the be all end all of such theraphy's, hopefully. Suggesting funding for ESC's is based on graft or greed, as I infer from your posts, would be uber ignorant; though I suspect it is not ignorance which motivates your obsessions. You still don't get it and continue with childish personal attacks. That's quite sad, really.

"...did I ever write ASC treatments were failures?"
No, that is not the point....
...the point is that ASC does not, in general discourse, received the acclaim it deserves...
and ESC gets far more interest than it deserves.

Why?

And he answer is not about science.

But you've run out of any arguments that would allow you to obviate the essence of the thread, i.e. that the are no good reasons to keep spending the time and funds on a failed technology.

how do you know it is a failed technology. If you were around in the stone age you would've called rubbing two sticks together to create fire a failed technology.

meme definition
philosophy

From Dictionary.com
Bingo.

Nope, evidence you're a hypocrite.
Oh, I'm sure it is in your mind, involving the tortured mangling of more than one definition. :lol:

Undeserved is something you haven't proven. Just because soomething is difficult and takes a while doesn't make it unworthy of study. It's still going to take a while before fusion power is a reality, which some say will never be achieved. Should we abandon the research?

I thought I'd let the real argument play out here before telling y'all what I've learned.

I've learned the left has no f'in clue of the scientific damage that they've done by opposing nanotechnology and biotechnology and nuclear power and the space program (for instance). ALL of these endevours could have positioned the US as leader in 21st century technology and filled a lot of the job gap... They "feel" as if they are in a totally objective and superior moral/intellectual position to ATTEMPT to indict the right for PERCEIVED interference with science. An attempt that in the case of ESC -- didn't quite get traction..

I've also learned that govt intervention in picking winner/losers in the science fields is extremely meddlesome and that if you can't lead towards innovation -- you should stay the heck out of the way.

I thought I'd let the real argument play out here before telling y'all what I've learned.

I've learned the left has no f'in clue of the scientific damage that they've done by opposing nanotechnology and biotechnology and nuclear power and the space program (for instance). ALL of these endevours could have positioned the US as leader in 21st century technology and filled a lot of the job gap... They "feel" as if they are in a totally objective and superior moral/intellectual position to ATTEMPT to indict the right for PERCEIVED interference with science. An attempt that in the case of ESC -- didn't quite get traction..

I've also learned that govt intervention in picking winner/losers in the science fields is extremely meddlesome and that if you can't lead towards innovation -- you should stay the heck out of the way.

What a load of crap. The U.S. is number one in innovation. Why do you think our universities and industry draw people from all over the world? I'd also like to see your evidence that "leftisis" have opposed bio- and nanotechnology and the space program. I'll give you nuclear.

What a load of crap. The U.S. is number one in innovation. Why do you think our universities and industry draw people from all over the world? I'd also like to see your evidence that "leftisis" have opposed bio- and nanotechnology and the space program. I'll give you nuclear.

You snooze -- you lose.. Those kids in our graduate schools are NOT OURS. How long do you think that leadership is gonna last at that rate? They won't NEED our schools in 10 years. We will LOSE in 10 years.

And you haven't been following the eco-left campaigns against FrankenFoods?? Against genetic engineering of all kinds? Not my job to wake you up here.. Same deal with spreading far-fetched scenarios about self-replicating micro machiines that might derive from nanotech research.. Oh OK -- I'll give you a one clue..

Nanotechnology and Its Dangers

See --- my premise is secure. The left has no f'in idea of the scientific damage they've caused due to emotional opposition to KEY technology and science ventures REQUIRED for this country to compete for jobs and exports.

You snooze -- you lose.. Those kids in our graduate schools are NOT OURS. How long do you think that leadership is gonna last at that rate? They won't NEED our schools in 10 years. We will LOSE in 10 years.

And you haven't been following the eco-left campaigns against FrankenFoods?? Against genetic engineering of all kinds? Not my job to wake you up here.. Same deal with spreading far-fetched scenarios about self-replicating micro machiines that might derive from nanotech research.. Oh OK -- I'll give you a one clue..

Nanotechnology and Its Dangers

See --- my premise is secure. The left has no f'in idea of the scientific damage they've caused due to emotional opposition to KEY technology and science ventures REQUIRED for this country to compete for jobs and exports.

You seem to believe the left has a monopoly on kooks; wrong. Simply listen to Bachmann, or read posts by dittoheads.

New Topics

Forum List

Back