The real Popeye the sailer.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
Thought I'd share something that surfaced on Facebook today.

His real name was Frank "Rocky" Fiegel. He was born in 1868 in Poland and, as a child, immigrated to the United States with his parents, who settled down in a small town in Illinois. As a young man, Rocky went to sea. After a 20-year career as a sailor in the Merchant Marines, Fiegel retired. He was later hired by Wiebusch's Tavern in the city of Chester, Illinois as a ‘Bouncer’ to maintain order in the rowdy bar.

Rocky quickly developed a reputation for always being involved in fighting ( and usually winning). As a result, he had a deformed eye ("Pop-eye"). He also ‘always’ smoked his pipe, so he always spoke out of one side of his mouth. In his spare time as a Bouncer, Rocky would entertain the customers by regaling them with exciting stories of adventures he claimed to have had over his career as a sailor crossing the ‘Seven Seas.’

The creator of Popeye, Elzie Crisler Segar, grew up in Chester and, as a young man, met Rocky at the tavern and would sit for hours listening to the old sailor’s amazing ‘sea’ stories.’ Years later, Segar became a cartoonist and developed a comic strip called ‘Thimble Theater.’ He honored Fiegel by asking if he could model his new comic strip character, ‘Popeye the Sailor Man,’ after him. Naturally Fiegel was flattered and agreed.

Segar claimed that ‘Olive Oyl,’ along with other characters, was also loosely based on an actual person. She was Dora Paskel, owner of a small grocery store in Chester. She apparently actually looked much like the Olive Oyl character in his comics. He claimed she even dressed much the same way.

Through the years, Segar kept in touch with Rocky and always helped him with money; giving him a small percentage of what he earned from his ‘Popeye’ illustrations.
1621701793742.png

1621700494644.png

1621700523164.png

1621700555680.png

Last edited:

His real name was Frank "Rocky" Fiegel. He was born in 1868 in Poland and, as a child, immigrated to the United States with his parents, who settled down in a small town in Illinois. As a young man, Rocky went to sea. After a 20-year career as a sailor in the Merchant Marines, Fiegel retired. He was later hired by Wiebusch's Tavern in the city of Chester, Illinois as a ‘Bouncer’ to maintain order in the rowdy bar.

Rocky quickly developed a reputation for always being involved in fighting ( and usually winning). As a result, he had a deformed eye ("Pop-eye"). He also ‘always’ smoked his pipe, so he always spoke out of one side of his mouth. In his spare time as a Bouncer, Rocky would entertain the customers by regaling them with exciting stories of adventures he claimed to have had over his career as a sailor crossing the ‘Seven Seas.’

The creator of Popeye, Elzie Crisler Segar, grew up in Chester and, as a young man, met Rocky at the tavern and would sit for hours listening to the old sailor’s amazing ‘sea’ stories.’ Years later, Segar became a cartoonist and developed a comic strip called ‘Thimble Theater.’ He honored Fiegel by asking if he could model his new comic strip character, ‘Popeye the Sailor Man,’ after him. Naturally Fiegel was flattered and agreed.

Segar claimed that ‘Olive Oyl,’ along with other characters, was also loosely based on an actual person. She was Dora Paskel, owner of a small grocery store in Chester. She apparently actually looked much like the Olive Oyl character in his comics. He claimed she even dressed much the same way.

Through the years, Segar kept in touch with Rocky and always helped him with money; giving him a small percentage of what he earned from his ‘Popeye’ illustrations.
View attachment 492201
View attachment 492202

View attachment 492203
Splice the main brace me hearty., inclement weather. Brace the scuppers, the ship is underway. Brace for heavy rolls to port and starboard.

Last edited:
From another source...

POPEYE the Sailor Man really existed.....

1621701097787.png

His real name was Frank "Rocky" Fiegel. He was born in 1868 in Poland and, as a child, immigrated to the United States with his parents, who settled down in a small town in Illinois. As a young man, Rocky went to sea. After a 20 year career as a sailor in the Merchant Marines, Fiegel retired. He was later hired by Wiebusch's Tavern in the city of Chester, Illinois as a ‘Bouncer’ to maintain order in the rowdy bar.

Segar claimed that ‘Olive Oyl,’ along with other characters, was also loosely based on an actual person. She was Dora Paskel, owner of a small grocery store in Chester. She apparently actually looked much like the Olive Oyl character in his comics. He claimed she even dressed much the same way..

WHO didn't love the cartoons??? We watched them religiously... so funny, so moral... each story had a good ending... wonder if kids these days even KNOW who Popeye is??? who knew he was a real man?? awesome!!!

1621701172931.png

1621701324470.png

From another source...

View attachment 492206

His real name was Frank "Rocky" Fiegel. He was born in 1868 in Poland and, as a child, immigrated to the United States with his parents, who settled down in a small town in Illinois. As a young man, Rocky went to sea. After a 20 year career as a sailor in the Merchant Marines, Fiegel retired. He was later hired by Wiebusch's Tavern in the city of Chester, Illinois as a ‘Bouncer’ to maintain order in the rowdy bar.

Segar claimed that ‘Olive Oyl,’ along with other characters, was also loosely based on an actual person. She was Dora Paskel, owner of a small grocery store in Chester. She apparently actually looked much like the Olive Oyl character in his comics. He claimed she even dressed much the same way..

WHO didn't love the cartoons??? We watched them religiously... so funny, so moral... each story had a good ending... wonder if kids these days even KNOW who Popeye is??? who knew he was a real man?? awesome!!!

View attachment 492207

View attachment 492208
Thanks ! I added that pic to the op.

I read about this long before the internet or cell phones, or computers, or word processors back when we used to type in triplicate carbon paper in the army...

From another source...

View attachment 492206

View attachment 492207

View attachment 492208
Thanks ! I added that pic to the op.
The Navy told me save my DD-214 only to find out it's worthless for an ID.

I read about this long before the internet or cell phones, or computers, or word processors back when we used to type in triplicate carbon paper in the army...
I used to watch Popeye on a black and white television, before I learned to read.
The leftists pukes here say I still don't know how.
Losers always try to make others look bad in an attempt
to improve their own image.

Where does Wimpy fit in?

Last edited:

Where does Wimpy fit it?
Hamburgers.

I used to watch Popeye on a black and white television, before I learned to read.

They still show Popeye on TV here six days a week. The original cartoon in the 1930s was state of the art and to this day one of the best drawn cartoons of all time.

They still show Popeye on TV here six days a week. The original cartoon in the 1930s was state of the art and to this day one of the best drawn cartoons of all time.
They were amazing.
You know, Who Framed Roger Rabbit took forever to make - it was the most advanced pre-digital animation at the time it came out.

They were amazing.
You know, Who Framed Roger Rabbit took forever to make - it was the most advanced pre-digital animation at the time it came out.

Roger Rabbit has a gorgeous human gf but forget her name, at the moment.

Forum List

Back