The Power of Inertia in "Education"

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
As a retired person, I often find myself getting trapped behind school buses, and having to go 15mph through "school zones" when they are starting for the day and ending the school day.

And it occurs to me that this 15mph limit made sense and maybe still does make sense in school districts where at least some of the kids WALK TO SCHOOL. Kids run out into traffic, and whatnot, and you wouldn't want to endanger the little bastards unnecessarily.

But in my school district, and in every adjacent school district NOT ONE KID walks to school. Kids who can SEE THE SCHOOL from their front porches take the bus. It has become a part of school life.

So why are we still forced to drive at half the normal speed limit during those times...and are subject to stratospheric fines if we fail to do so? Is it the safety of the CHEEEEEEELDRUN? Or is it just stupid inertia, with no one having the balls to say, "This is stupid and we should stop it"?

As a retired person, I often find myself getting trapped behind school buses, and having to go 15mph through "school zones" when they are starting for the day and ending the school day.

And it occurs to me that this 15mph limit made sense and maybe still does make sense in school districts where at least some of the kids WALK TO SCHOOL. Kids run out into traffic, and whatnot, and you wouldn't want to endanger the little bastards unnecessarily.

But in my school district, and in every adjacent school district NOT ONE KID walks to school. Kids who can SEE THE SCHOOL from their front porches take the bus. It has become a part of school life.

So why are we still forced to drive at half the normal speed limit during those times...and are subject to stratospheric fines if we fail to do so? Is it the safety of the CHEEEEEEELDRUN? Or is it just stupid inertia, with no one having the balls to say, "This is stupid and we should stop it"?

In my city is is because there still are "crossing guards" that direct traffic in these zones in the am and pm whether or not kiddies are walking. I avoid the closest elementary school area to me during flashing light school zone hours if at possible because the traffic is insane. Parents dropping off/picking up will be backed way out into the main road trying to get in or out with their little ones.

I am always careful either way.

One of my worst fears is turning someone's F trophy into a hood ornament.

I WISH I could catch that cocksucker in my neighborhood who is hitting all of the squirrels.

WHO intentionally drives over a small woodland creature?

I hope not one, not one of these children risks the vaccine to preserve your hide. Which is what you WANT and EXPECT them to do. I mean, heaven forfend you have to drive slowly to "keep them safe". But by golly those "little bastards" can sure enough inject themselves with an untested vaccine for a disease that barely makes them sick to extend your already long life, amirite?

Ok

Boomer

Cranky old man yells at cloud

I am always careful either way.

One of my worst fears is turning someone's F trophy into a hood ornament.

I WISH I could catch that cocksucker in my neighborhood who is hitting all of the squirrels.

WHO intentionally drives over a small woodland creature?
??????????????????????????????

??????????????????????????????
Well he was talking about speed limits.

I said I was worried about hitting someone's brat.

ALSO there is a guy/girl in my neighborhood who likes running over squirrels.

My point, kids are a lot slower than squirrels...so somebody is driving like a maniac trying to smoosh them.

Previous three years...no dead squirrels...this year...like 20.

Populations do not expand that quickly.

This, my dear Watson...is intentional.

How do you know that?

Because, as I stated, the incidence of dead squirrels on the street has gone up 2K%.

While the population has not risen 2K%.

So the incidence of squirrels entering roads has not increased in kind.

Therefore we should not be seeing the number of dead squirrels on the street.

Logically.

How do you know?
I have not taken an official census, but it is absolutely insane to think that a squirrel population can increase 2000% in one year.
I do not see 2000% more squirrels in the neighborhood.
I see pancaked squirrels everyday on the same streets.

I have not taken an official census, but it is absolutely insane to think that a squirrel population can increase 2000% in one year.
I do not see 2000% more squirrels in the neighborhood.
I see pancaked squirrels everyday on the same streets.
How did you come up with the "2000%" figure?

How did you come up with the "2000%" figure?
Well, in the previous three years I think I have seen two, maybe three dead squirrels on the streets.

This year, there are literally three per week

Now, have I had to slow down for the little guys from time to time?

Yeah...we have a few squirrels...but I have seen like 20 dead squirrels over the past three months.

Well, in the previous three years I think I have seen two, maybe three dead squirrels on the streets.

This year, there are literally three per week

Now, have I had to slow down for the little guys from time to time?

Yeah...we have a few squirrels...but I have seen like 20 dead squirrels over the past three months.
You understand that none of that amounts to "evidence," right? You understand that is merely your personal impression, right?

Forum List

Back