The Politics of Policing

Trump.Stamped

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2016
As an officer, it is frustrating to see my profession under attack. There are many things about what cops do that people just don't understand. Of course, politicians don't give a shit about facts, or educating themselves. Sadly, neither does much of the public.

The mental health and drug and alcohol abuse we deal with thousands, hundreds of thousands of times a day would make your head spin. You only understand if you have done this job. The "system" continuously lets repeat violent offenders back out on the street because keeping them in jail "costs too much money." So who deals with them? We do. Over and over. Multiple times a day we each deal with situations that would make the majority of the public shit themselves. Then, the next day, we do it again.

The point here is this: We deal with dangerous, violent situations hundreds of thousands of times a day, and almost every time we resolve it without the criminal getting so much as a scratch. Do you hear about when we use the less lethal or taser on the armed suspect and avoid shooting them? Nope. When we use only verbal to talk the suspect down? No. When we physically fight with the person, often resulting in injury to us, does that make the news? No. To the uneducated, a traffic stop or some other "routine" call may not seem like a big deal. What you don't know is ANY traffic stop, ANY call can turn deadly. I know, I was shot during one of those "routine" stops. Why? Because the repeat criminal had a couple felony charges coming and decided he wasn't going back to prison, where he never should have been let out of in the first place. I almost didn't go home that night to my wife and children.

When cops do wrong, we need to be held accountable. We need to be held to a high standard. Absolutely. However, remember all the good things we do every day to keep our communities safe, because THAT is why we do this job. We are protectors.

Alright. Sometimes y'all do what you are supposed to. That's great.

Pedophiles may always slow down when they drive by children playing, but I'm not about to give them a medal for it.

Pedophiles may always slow down when they drive by children playing, but I'm not about to give them a medal for it.

Sometimes? How about 99.9% of the time, in situations where people like you would curl up in the fetal position and pee themselves.

We aren't looking for medals, just shut the f*ck up until you have all the information on an incident.

And your driving habits are not the subject of this thread.

Sometimes? How about 99.9% of the time, in situations where people like you would curl up in the fetal position and pee themselves.

We aren't looking for medals, just shut the f*ck up until you have all the information on an incident.

Video evidence = all the information anyone needs.

As an officer, it is frustrating to see my profession under attack. There are many things about what cops do that people just don't understand. Of course, politicians don't give a shit about facts, or educating themselves. Sadly, neither does much of the public.

The mental health and drug and alcohol abuse we deal with thousands, hundreds of thousands of times a day would make your head spin. You only understand if you have done this job. The "system" continuously lets repeat violent offenders back out on the street because keeping them in jail "costs too much money." So who deals with them? We do. Over and over. Multiple times a day we each deal with situations that would make the majority of the public shit themselves. Then, the next day, we do it again.

The point here is this: We deal with dangerous, violent situations hundreds of thousands of times a day, and almost every time we resolve it without the criminal getting so much as a scratch. Do you hear about when we use the less lethal or taser on the armed suspect and avoid shooting them? Nope. When we use only verbal to talk the suspect down? No. When we physically fight with the person, often resulting in injury to us, does that make the news? No. To the uneducated, a traffic stop or some other "routine" call may not seem like a big deal. What you don't know is ANY traffic stop, ANY call can turn deadly. I know, I was shot during one of those "routine" stops. Why? Because the repeat criminal had a couple felony charges coming and decided he wasn't going back to prison, where he never should have been let out of in the first place. I almost didn't go home that night to my wife and children.

When cops do wrong, we need to be held accountable. We need to be held to a high standard. Absolutely. However, remember all the good things we do every day to keep our communities safe, because THAT is why we do this job. We are protectors.

I think that's the whole argument is that police often aren't held to account at all. I don't think anyone questions the fact that police do a fantastic job the majority of the time. It's how those rare instances are handled that raise questions.

That's part of the problem is that they often don't release the information. It often goes to a grand jury where the proceedings and evidence is not publicly available.

Absolutely not true. Anyway, you all had Michael Brown tagged as an innocent victim and hero, and how did that turn out for you?

That's part of the problem is that they often don't release the information. It often goes to a grand jury where the proceedings and evidence is not publicly available.

The state AG should, and probably does, release the report when it is completed. If not, that should be remedied. What usually happens is that people have already made their judgement, moved on, and don't care about the facts anymore.

Like this:

Like this:

It's really amazing how the fascist mind works. Any cop that believes that he or any other cop should get to act as judge and executioner because of his own moralistic feelings is not a real American, and deserves any bad thing that happens to him.

Like this:

It's really amazing how the fascist mind works. Any cop that believes that he or any other cop should get to act as judge and executioner because of his own moralistic feelings is not a real American, and deserves any bad thing that happens to him.

it's more fascinating how the liberal mind works. Nowhere did I say anything near what you just typed. In fact, I have said just the opposite. You put ZERO responsibility on the criminal. ZERO. It is all the cops fault, every time. Good luck with that kind of thinking. it's what continues to get minorities killed.

Like this:

it's more fascinating how the liberal mind works. Nowhere did I say anything near what you just typed. In fact, I have said just the opposite. You put ZERO responsibility on the criminal. ZERO. It is all the cops fault, every time. Good luck with that kind of thinking. it's what continues to get minorities killed.

In the two most recent cases, the victims were armed legally. In the many others the victims were unarmed. There is nothing to suggest that there was any threat made by either recent defendant. Are we supposed to take the word of the trigger happy cops? Why would we do that? Our own experience is that cops lie about the small things like why they stopped you? There is certainly no reason why we would trust them about matters of life and death. They are never a trustworthy source unless there is camera footage to back up their assertion. Period.

Like this:

In the two most recent cases, the victims were armed legally. In the many others the victims were unarmed. There is nothing to suggest that there was any threat made by either recent defendant. Are we supposed to take the word of the trigger happy cops? Why would we do that? Our own experience is that cops lie about the small things like why they stopped you? There is certainly no reason why we would trust them about matters of life and death. They are never a trustworthy source unless there is camera footage to back up their assertion. Period.

but you find the criminals credible...interesting....

Like this:

but you find the criminals credible...interesting....

The SUSPECTS in these cases are DEAD.

That is what we mean when we say fascist. We mean the presumption of guilt, and the despicable belief in circumventing due process. Any person who believes that way is a traitor to this country.

[...]

The point here is this: We deal with dangerous, violent situations hundreds of thousands of times a day, and almost every time we resolve it without the criminal getting so much as a scratch.

[...]

I've been watching the tv "ride-along" documentary series, COPS, for quite some time now. For those who are not familiar with it, this production covers police departments, big and small, all over the U.S., by having a camera crew ride along with cops during their tour of duty. Based on what I've seen, and what anyone who cares to watch this series will see, the vast majority, I estimate about 80% or more, of the activity American cops engage in involves petty drug offenses and domestic issues.

Any neutral individual who is willing to invest the time in following the COPS series will soon come to realize that no less then 50% of the activity American cops engage in is absolutely unnecessary and much of it is counterproductive. Very little of it comes close to the kind of hyper-macho, melodramatic, nonsensical police fiction served to the American tv viewer on a daily basis.

But don't take my word for it -- watch COPS.

As a veteran and FORMER cop, I just want to say your life matters. Thank you for what you do.

[...]

The point here is this: We deal with dangerous, violent situations hundreds of thousands of times a day, and almost every time we resolve it without the criminal getting so much as a scratch.

[...]

I've been watching the tv "ride-along" documentary series, COPS, for quite some time now. For those who are not familiar with it, this production covers police departments, big and small, all over the U.S., by having a camera crew ride along with cops during their tour of duty. Based on what I've seen, and what anyone who cares to watch this series will see, the vast majority, I estimate about 80% or more, of the activity American cops engage in involves petty drug offenses and domestic issues.

Any neutral individual who is willing to invest the time in following the COPS series will soon come to realize that no less then 50% of the activity American cops engage in is absolutely unnecessary and much of it is counterproductive. Very little of it comes close to the kind of hyper-macho, melodramatic, nonsensical police fiction served to the American tv viewer on a daily basis.

But don't take my word for it -- watch COPS.

And how often were the cops called by the public to go deal with that situation? Pretty much every time? Are you suggesting we just ignore when the public calls? Cause that sure would make the job a lot easier.

I like your idea. Let's do it! I'll sit in the donut shop for 8 hours or chase Pokemon.

Absolutely not true. Anyway, you all had Michael Brown tagged as an innocent victim and hero, and how did that turn out for you?
How many participants in this forum regarded Michael Brown as anything other than the bullying scumbag he was? Maybe two or three Black racists did, but that's all.

"Big Mike" Brown deserved what he got.

Forum List

Back