The North Pole Vs. The South Pole

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
Okay, I was just watching a documentary posted in my twenty-five days till Christmas thread and I had a few questions because some things didn't make sense to me about it. I think I remember learning in school that the reason the north pole is so cold is because it's far away from the equator. Yet, it's the closest to the sun so wouldn't it be the warmest? Of course if the legend of Santa Claus was true then he would probably have to live somewhere else considering the fact that his reindeer probably wouldn't be able to handle the tropical climate.

Second of all, I recently googled how cold the north pole was and surprisingly enough the south pole is colder than the north pole in the winter time. Now, I think that's because it's even farther from the equator than the north pole is, but our southern hemisphere is usually rather warm and that doesn't make a lot of sense either because you would think that the further down south away from the sun you would go that the colder it would get. However, I think it's because states like Florida and California are closer to the equator than states like Alaska and Montana. Can somebody please help clear up my confusion about all of this?

Consider that both poles are colder depending on the time of year.

From Winter's solstice to Summer, in the Northern Hemisphere, the North Pole is NOT further from the sun, but the tilt of the Earth's angle keeps the North Pole in the shadow of the Earth. This means that the Sun will arc along the horizon when the sun rises, but just above.

The opposite is true for the South Pole.

Then from the Summer Solstice to the Winter, the North Pole will be tilted toward the sun, and thereby always in the light and when the sun sets, it sets just below the horizon.

Now consider this.

The North Pole is surrounded mostly by land.

The South Pole is surrounded by Ocean

Which would you consider to hold more heat?

ETA: In truth, it is the Spring and Autumnal equinox that determines when the Pole move from more or less sunlight.

• Banned
Consider that both poles are colder depending on the time of year.

From Winter's solstice to Summer, in the Northern Hemisphere, the North Pole is NOT further from the sun, but the tilt of the Earth's angle keeps the North Pole in the shadow of the Earth. This means that the Sun will arc along the horizon when the sun rises, but just above.

Then from the Summer Solstice to the Winter, the North Pole will be tilted toward the sun, and thereby always in the light and when the sun sets, it sets just below the horizon.

Now consider this.

The North Pole is surrounded mostly by land.

The South Pole is surrounded by Ocean

Which would you consider to hold more heat?

ETA: In truth, it is the Spring and Autumnal equinox that determines when the Pole move from more or less sunlight.

Oh, I see what you're saying a little bit as the spin of the earth's axis still causes a temperature change for both the north and the south pole, but then you lost me after that part. And I already said that the north pole is closest to the sun, not farther. That's why I said it really should be the warmest climate on earth.

Oh, I see what you're saying a little bit as the spin of the earth's axis still causes a temperature change for both the north and the south pole, but then you lost me after that part. And I already said that the north pole is closest to the sun, not farther. That's why I said it really should be the warmest climate on earth.
Because it isn't actually closer. It is just facing the sun more during the period from Spring to Autumn.

To be closer, it would have to be outside the circumference of the equator.

Or the Earth would have to turn 90 degrees north toward the sun.

The South Pole is colder because it is surrounded by a larger heat sink than the North Pole.

Summer in the Northern Hemisphere

summer-solstice-large.jpg

Winter in the Northern Hemisphere

images

• Banned
Because it isn't actually closer. It is just facing the sun more during the period from Spring to Autumn.

To be closer, it would have to be outside the circumference of the equator.

Or the Earth would have to turn 90 degrees north toward the sun.

The South Pole is colder because it is surrounded by a larger heat sink than the North Pole.

Interesting. So are you saying that everything on earth is the same amount of distance from the sun?

Interesting. So are you saying that everything on earth is the same amount of distance from the sun?
Those places on the Equator are the closest points to the Sun.

Consider how the Earth rotates around the sun.

images

Take note of the position of both poles and their relationship to the sun during differing points of the year.

An interesting side note is that on the Equator, sunlight and dark are exactly equal. Each is 12 hour long.

• Banned
Those places on the Equator are the closest points to the Sun.

Consider how the Earth rotates around the sun.

images

Take note of the position of both poles and their relationship to the sun during differing points of the year.

An interesting side note is that on the Equator, sunlight and dark are exactly equal. Each is 12 hour long.

So the equator actually moves with the earth's axis. That explains why Australia has their summertime when we have our wintertime.

So,.. either what I was taught in elementary school of the north pole being closest to the sun was a lie,.. or I was remembering it incorrectly. It has some truth to it, but it has to do with the earth's axis, not where it is on the globe.

So,.. either what I was taught in elementary school of the north pole being closest to the sun was a lie,.. or I was remembering it incorrectly. It has some truth to it, but it has to do with the earth's axis, not where it is on the globe.
It's all about the tilt.

:biggrin: :eek2yum::eek2yum:

It's all about the tilt.

:biggrin: :eek2yum::eek2yum:

Yeah, but it's also sort of funny that we don't generally feel the earth moving except for when there's an earthquake. I'm going to go off topic for a moment because now I'm wondering,.. I can understand how gravity can keep us weighted down and not go flying all over the place as the earth continues to rapidly spin,.. but I can't seem to understand why we don't feel it.

Never mind,.. I found out the answer to my question. We don't feel the earth spinning due to its constant speed and gravity comes from the earth's mass was my second question that I had been thinking of.

Forum List

Back