The "new Jim Crow"

TheParser

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2017
I've just read a thought-provoking article in a serious, respected, and liberal British magazine.

I. The author feels that racial inequality still exists in our country. He calls it the "new Jim Crow."

a. He says that the "barefaced cruelties of segregation's distant past had been softening since the 1960s into subtle exclusions and injustices."

2. The author says that it is a fantasy to say "that the end of de jure racial inequality ushered in a new era of opportunity and mobility for African Americans. In reality, even the black people admitted into the networks of prosperity and privilege remained vulnerable compared to those who had enjoyed the inherited advantages of income and opportunity over several generations."

3. The author says that to white liberals, President "Obama seemed to guarantee instant redemption from the crimes of a democracy built on slavery and genocide."

Whether or not you agree with the author, the article will make you think. (I certainly did.)

Author: Pankaj Mishra
Title of article: Why do white people like what I write?
Publication: London Review of Books, print edition of February 22, 2018.

The author is reviewing a new book entitled We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy by Ta-Nehisi Coates.

(This computer-illiterate senior citizen cannot link. I assume the article is available online.)

Subtle exclusions and injustices belong to everyone. That blacks THINK that it applies only to them is a type of racism that only blacks are permitted to exhibit.

There is a book called "The New Jim Crow," which was a large part of two of my grad courses last semester.

It is true that slavery has been systematically replaced by slavery through a revolving door of incarceration that targets minorities, and even more specifically young Black males.

It went from slavery to convict leasing, which included situations where land owners would basically buy convicts through paying off their debts to the state with the promise of freedom after the convict worked off that debt... however the land owner would charge for shelter and food while the convict worked, and often times that cost would be listed as more than the labor value being worked off, so that the convict could never actually work off their freedom. What was worse, is that if a convict felt they had worked off their debt and decided to leave, the state would capture them and return them to the landowner just like they would if they were still a slave.

That has now evolved to where the prison industrial complex in the United States needs people locked up in order to give jobs to some people, and make money for some government agencies and investors in private prisons.

The New Jim Crow book by Michelle Alexander goes through this time line from slavery to the current situation. It is a good read.

The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness (eB00k) | eBay

Subtle exclusions and injustices belong to everyone. That blacks THINK that it applies only to them is a type of racism that only blacks are permitted to exhibit.

Wrong.

I've just read a thought-provoking article in a serious, respected, and liberal British magazine.

I. The author feels that racial inequality still exists in our country. He calls it the "new Jim Crow."

a. He says that the "barefaced cruelties of segregation's distant past had been softening since the 1960s into subtle exclusions and injustices."

2. The author says that it is a fantasy to say "that the end of de jure racial inequality ushered in a new era of opportunity and mobility for African Americans. In reality, even the black people admitted into the networks of prosperity and privilege remained vulnerable compared to those who had enjoyed the inherited advantages of income and opportunity over several generations."

3. The author says that to white liberals, President "Obama seemed to guarantee instant redemption from the crimes of a democracy built on slavery and genocide."

Whether or not you agree with the author, the article will make you think. (I certainly did.)

The author is reviewing a new book entitled We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy by Ta-Nehisi Coates.

(This computer-illiterate senior citizen cannot link. I assume the article is available online.)
It simply does not make sense that 300 years of deep overt racist beliefs and the consequences of discrimination, just dissipate because laws changed. America has deeply held beliefs in the inferiority of black people. However, what gets in the way of them freely arguing black inferiority is all the history of the negative things this society has done to black people that can be used to explain the black condition of socioeconomic inferiority. Thus, this society has sought to prematurely claim the end of racism so that it can blame the inequality on the nature of blacks. They like to assume that racism ended when laws changed and hence blacks have "No excuses" past that point. I like pointing out that this nation is crime free also, given all the laws against crime.

The bottom line is white racism is the enemy, ironically, of the argument of black inferiority, because white racism can clearly be used to explain the condition of black inferiority. Hence, white racist must FIRST pretend that they are not racist. The DENIAL of racism is critical to propagating the argument of black inferiority.

It simply does not make sense that 300 years of deep overt racist beliefs and the consequences of discrimination, just dissipate because laws changed. America has deeply held beliefs in the inferiority of black people. However, what gets in the way of them freely arguing black inferiority is all the history of the negative things this society has done to black people that can be used to explain the black condition of socioeconomic inferiority. Thus, this society has sought to prematurely claim the end of racism so that it can blame the inequality on the nature of blacks. They like to assume that racism ended when laws changed and hence blacks have "No excuses" past that point. I like pointing out that this nation is crime free also, given all the laws against crime.

The bottom line is white racism is the enemy, ironically, of the argument of black inferiority, because white racism can clearly be used to explain the condition of black inferiority. Hence, white racist must FIRST pretend that they are not racist. The DENIAL of racism is critical to propagating the argument of black inferiority.

Sounds like no one is arguing for such a supposed inferiority more than YOU.

That is part of the rouse. In order to make it appear that blacks are indeed inferior in nature, whites cannot overtly show their racism or it gives credence to the argument that racism is still hindering black progress. Thus, whites do not come out overtly, usually, and say blacks are inferior.

I like to use the example of a guy walking down the street and walking through a swarm of gnats. No one can see the gnats but him and he is swinging his arms widely and behaving abnormally for a person simply walking down the street. In this example the person is a metaphor for blacks and the gnats are a metaphor for white racism. The racist don't want you to see them.....just the abnormal behavior of blacks.

And once again you show yourself to be a dumb ass. He has not argued for anything of the sort, but everything he stated is displayed in this one sentence you posted.

Forum List

Back