The movie, "Alien," why would a commercial freighter have a self destruct system?

Probably for the exact reason they blew it up- hostile alien life form gets on board and threatens to spread to Earth or some other planet.

These things were also far more massive than any spacecraft we had, and filled with ore. they were effectively giant meteors, and if one was on a impact course, it would have to be destroyed.

These things were also far more massive than any spacecraft we had, and filled with ore. they were effectively giant meteors, and if one was on a impact course, it would have to be destroyed.
Yes, as I said earlier. Further, to meet the speeds and times mentioned, they have to be travelling at FTL for at least a portion of those trips. Imagine that monster hitting the earth at 20x the speed of light.

The movie "Galaxy Quest" answers that question when they were caught in the chompers while they were trying to find the button that saves the ship. "Why did they write this stuff"?

I was always mystified why in a future where we have mastered interstellar travel, the only weapon the space crew has is a flamethrower. C’mon!

I was always mystified why in a future where we have mastered interstellar travel, the only weapon the space crew has is a flamethrower. C’mon!

Yeah...good point. They likely would have had at least small arms of some sort in a weapon locker somewhere on the ship...

I dont think they encountered any aliens up to that point that would warrant a self destruct.
Ash was secretly assigned by the company to bring the alien back at any cost. The company knew about the alien from a previous mission by the vessel Prometheus.

Alien was playing on one of the cable channels as I was surfing.......and it occurred to me, after all these years.....why would a commerical freighter have a self destruct system that blew up the entire ship?

Even today, our military aircraft and ships don't have something like that, at most, the crew destroys all the computers and sensitive data.......

Just wondering....
To account for interesting plots. Bombs are also given an LCD countdown display in films.

First, as someone said, to destroy the ship if it was on a collision course with a populated planet.

Second, to prevent a competing company from getting the load of ore (and the ship's records) if something happened.

Third, to prevent the contamination by an alien life form. (I'm sure they were thinking more like something small and contagious)

2aguy

I fully agree
And how can a tiny creature turn into a massive beast in a few days . Complete contradiction to the laws of “conservation of matter and energy “

That is assuming it did not find any food.
It is did find food and had a high metabolism, then it is possible.

We have no current need on earth for "self destruct".
But a huge space ship, with hundreds of tons of cargo, depending on how fast it was supposed to be flying, and depending on the potential for contamination, would definitely need a "self destruct".

Yeah...good point. They likely would have had at least small arms of some sort in a weapon locker somewhere on the ship...

No, projectile weapons would be banned on space ship.
Cause too much potential damage to the pressurized ship.

Alien was playing on one of the cable channels as I was surfing.......and it occurred to me, after all these years.....why would a commerical freighter have a self destruct system that blew up the entire ship?

Even today, our military aircraft and ships don't have something like that, at most, the crew destroys all the computers and sensitive data.......

Just wondering....
in case democrats wanted to hijack them and steal or tax their cargo,,,

Forum List

Back