The most important Jewish woman of medieval England recognized with statue

There was actually a Jew in England in 1200?....................Learned something today
Yeah they have been money lending there and running British foreign policy for phucking long time.....like 1066 AD.

I think it was 1290 that England tossed out the Jews. AND i think it was the ninth of Av. Tisha B'AV. Spain through them out on the eve of Columbus sailing out from spain...days....Ninth of Av also. That's an interesting topic in itself.

I am skeptical of these late comers to history> Especially history concerning women.

They were experts at extorting peasants and the bourgeoisie, so yes, Kings loved them and hired them for their expertise. And like all contractors and mercenaries, they were let go and replaced by other contractors with less political baggage, the Lombards and other Italians, the wool trade becoming the biggest export business over time and thus the biggest lenders.

God told the jews, when he sent them into exile to be loyal to the nations that they were in servitude to. They were blessed when they did that and they prospered. Not saying that there weren't some bad apples....don't forget the tax collectors in Jesus' time, not to mention that the Jews ignored God's rule about letting the land rest every seventh year and freeing the slaves, cancelling debts. That determined the amount of time that the jews were exiled from israel/Judah.

They were the only group that was able to circumvent the "Christian" laws on the ability to charge interest. Had other professions been open then there might have been a different story. Jews could not charge interest on other Jews.

Forum List

Back