The Minimum Force Bill

I just completed my training for the concealed pistols license for Michigan .

You shoot to stop the threat which means shooting center mass until the person is no longer a threat.

If you shoot the person in the leg and the person has a gun he's still a threat.

Police also have tasers and pepper spray so I don't see why they would shoot someone they knew wasn't armed.

Last edited:
Police have a "continuum of force" responsibility. They don't shoot people they know are unarmed. Ever. It might turn out later the perp was unarmed but at the time the police would have reasonable belief they were armed.

Completely different mindset.
THe LE is there to apprehend the malfeasor. He is backed up by other officers, SWAT, and a police union.
The private citizen is there to get away and get home safe. He is on his own in any court situation.
I had an LE trained (and military)guy tell me, "if we go face to face someone is going down."
Bzzt. Fail. If you could get away and didnt, you've got a big problem. I know in many states you can stand your ground and all, but do you really want to be a test case?

Actually my concealed permit license court was taught partly by a police officer.

He even helped us as far as what to tell the police if we were caught in a gunfire.

Actually my concealed permit license court was taught partly by a police officer.

He even helped us as far as what to tell the police if we were caught in a gunfire.

The answer is "nothing without my lawyer present." That's what cops do, btw.

Actually I did what I needed to do to stop the threat, and that's all I remember.

If such an incident occurs because of adrenaline and the panic, it would be very hard to get the details correct.

This is from '09.

The NYPD has ordered city cops not to shoot Tasers at suspects' chests, the Daily News has learned. The directive comes after manufacturer Taser International Inc. issued a warning that jolts to the chest can affect the heart.

The Arizona-based company suggested that officers should instead target backs, legs or abdomens.

Tasers carry about 5,000 volts, have a range of 21 feet and weigh about 16 ounces. The NYPD issues them to sergeants and Emergency Service Unit cops.

Read more: No Taser shots to chest: NYPD order

Handcuffing the good guys. Soon the criminals will be the only ones allowed weapons.

City cops are livid over a legislative proposal that could handcuff the brave officers involved in life-and-death confrontations every day -- requiring them to shoot gun-wielding suspects in the arm or leg rather than shoot to kill, The Post has learned.

The "minimum force" bill, which surfaced in the Assembly last week, seeks to amend the state penal codes' "justification" clause that allows an officer the right to kill a thug if he feels his life or someone else's is in imminent danger.

The bill -- drafted in the wake of Sean Bell's controversial police shooting death -- would force officers to use their weapons "with the intent to stop, rather than kill" a suspect. They would be mandated to "shoot a suspect in the arm or the leg."

Read more: City cops oppose bill that would require them to shoot to wound - NYPOST.com

Sean Bell deserved to die.

Who the fuck are YOU to make that determination? Sean Bell was UNARMED, yet you determine he deserved to die?

What is totally mind-boggling is that you right wing scum bags constantly accuse liberals of 'Statism' and you claim 'government' can never get anything right...YET, when it comes to arresting, incarcerating and exterminating human beings, you morons suck the tit of 'government' and embrace the right wing nanny state...

britannica_prison.jpg

Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
Edmund Burke

And you leftwing pussies give criminals more rights than the people responsible for apprehending them.

Rightwing Nanny state? Dude, put the crack pipe down, huh? The only nanny state around here is because of pussies like YOU. YOU and YOUR ilk need the police and expect them to protect your pussy little ass. What do you think the police are for, dimbulb? To protect the weak.

If I have a gun and you come at me, gun or no, you're dead. THAT simple. Just like you.

This is from '09.

The NYPD has ordered city cops not to shoot Tasers at suspects' chests, the Daily News has learned. The directive comes after manufacturer Taser International Inc. issued a warning that jolts to the chest can affect the heart.

The Arizona-based company suggested that officers should instead target backs, legs or abdomens.

Tasers carry about 5,000 volts, have a range of 21 feet and weigh about 16 ounces. The NYPD issues them to sergeants and Emergency Service Unit cops.

Handcuffing the good guys. Soon the criminals will be the only ones allowed weapons.

If the manufacturer is telling you something is going to go horribly wrong if you taser someone in the chest, you probably shouldn't do it. Usually, when the creator of something says not to do something with a object, it's probably best not to do it.

What's next? Not listen to gun companies when they say you should probably keep the safety on your gun? :cuckoo:

This is from '09.

If the manufacturer is telling you something is going to go horribly wrong if you taser someone in the chest, you probably shouldn't do it. Usually, when the creator of something says not to do something with a object, it's probably best not to do it.

What's next? Not listen to gun companies when they say you should probably keep the safety on your gun? :cuckoo:

Yeah. Glocks all say that.
Here the warning is a CYA measure. Generally when bad guys croak from a Taser it is because their systems are already amped up on drugs.

Here the warning is a CYA measure. Generally when bad guys croak from a Taser it is because their systems are already amped up on drugs.

Or have bad hearts. The whole point of using the taser is to stop a suspect without killing them.

Or have bad hearts. The whole point of using the taser is to stop a suspect without killing them.

No. The whole point is that the Taser has less of a probability of doing that. But that's all it is. The Taser is often used where a gun would have been.
You can hit someone with a billy stick and they might still die. Nothing is certain.

The reason the criminal is usually tasared is because they did actions that made it necessary.

If they they just surrendered they wouldn't be tasared.

Simple.

The reason the criminal is usually tasared is because they did actions that made it necessary.

If they they just surrendered they wouldn't be tasared.

Simple.

There are so many cases of police abusing tasers though it's not funny.

Forum List

Back