CDZ The merits of mask wearing in these covid times

But I don't see the harm in humouring people who feel safer if I'm wearing it.
why can't they humor you? I'm always keeping my mouth shut and letting sheeple speak their nonsense rather than create a chaotic moment, but masks, nope, not giving them that as well. sorry. It's stupid.

I tell them I don't think it works. But some of them believe it does and I don't want to argue with them. So I just wear the thing when I'm around them.
that's a better answer, but for me, I tell them I like to breathe, so I'm not wearing them.

The thin cotton masks are thin enough that I can breathe more or less. Honestly, if I'm in my own building where I live, I frequently find myself taking it off to talk better, before putting it back. There is a part of me that wishes I could just ditch the things, but it is so complicated with how it makes others feel.

The thin cotton masks are thin enough that I can breathe more or less. Honestly, if I'm in my own building where I live, I frequently find myself taking it off to talk better, before putting it back. There is a part of me that wishes I could just ditch the things, but it is so complicated with how it makes others feel.
they're my rights, and no one can take them from me.

Last edited:
But I don't see the harm in humouring people who feel safer if I'm wearing it.
why can't they humor you? I'm always keeping my mouth shut and letting sheeple speak their nonsense rather than create a chaotic moment, but masks, nope, not giving them that as well. sorry. It's stupid.

I kind of do the reverse, -if- the person speaking nonsense is a friend. If not, I just let them carry on, last thing I want to do is get someone who I don't even know upset with me. As to the masks, when in public indoor areas in my own building, I tend to wear it. One time, I was half wearing it in a stairwell in my building (mouth covered, nose out) and a cop came down the stairs. I pulled it over my nose quick and he said thanks, that he'd just been talking to some other guy for not wearing one. So there you have it.

they're my rights, and no one cant take them from me.

Yeah, that doesn't work so well here in Canada...

Some posters started talking about masks and their merits in another thread of mine, I thought it might be good to have a thread here dedicated to this subject. For my part, I wear masks where I have to, which is mainly stores and hospitals (they generally have someone checking to see if you have a mask on), when I don't have to, I tend not to. I also wear it around people who I'm friends with who think it will protect them. They generally know I don't believe that, but I do it for them. I wear the thinnest masks possible, thin cotton so that I can breathe as normally as possible through them. Hospitals require wearing one of those plastic masks that is messing up the environment and are hard to breathe from, I have at least persuaded them that I need to wear my cotton one underneath it. I have breathing issues and I have heard that the plastic particles in the plastic masks can be inhaled. Anyway, I'll start off with a quote from an article that links to many other articles on the science of masks:

While the COVID-19 crisis rages on, the science against and in support of wearing masks accumulates daily. On the one side, proponents argue that masks save lives and stop the spread of the virus. The other side contends that wearing masks is complicated and suggests masks are ineffective and may even be harmful.

Recently, yet another angle has emerged asserting that regardless of whether masks work or not, government shouldn’t mandate that people must wear them, especially by children where the risks of contracting, spreading and exhibiting symptoms from COVID-19 are very low.

CHD is glad to provide dozens of studies/articles/videos we have accumulated, including meta-analyses. And, we will continue to post mask information on this page. (Some items appear under multiple headings depending on their content.)

The links can be seen here:
Masks work.

There's the science. Videos next.

Some posters started talking about masks and their merits in another thread of mine, I thought it might be good to have a thread here dedicated to this subject. For my part, I wear masks where I have to, which is mainly stores and hospitals (they generally have someone checking to see if you have a mask on), when I don't have to, I tend not to. I also wear it around people who I'm friends with who think it will protect them. They generally know I don't believe that, but I do it for them. I wear the thinnest masks possible, thin cotton so that I can breathe as normally as possible through them. Hospitals require wearing one of those plastic masks that is messing up the environment and are hard to breathe from, I have at least persuaded them that I need to wear my cotton one underneath it. I have breathing issues and I have heard that the plastic particles in the plastic masks can be inhaled. Anyway, I'll start off with a quote from an article that links to many other articles on the science of masks:

While the COVID-19 crisis rages on, the science against and in support of wearing masks accumulates daily. On the one side, proponents argue that masks save lives and stop the spread of the virus. The other side contends that wearing masks is complicated and suggests masks are ineffective and may even be harmful.

Recently, yet another angle has emerged asserting that regardless of whether masks work or not, government shouldn’t mandate that people must wear them, especially by children where the risks of contracting, spreading and exhibiting symptoms from COVID-19 are very low.

CHD is glad to provide dozens of studies/articles/videos we have accumulated, including meta-analyses. And, we will continue to post mask information on this page. (Some items appear under multiple headings depending on their content.)

Masks work.

There's the science. Videos next.

Thanks Crepitus. We needed someone on the other side of this to make this discussion work long term.

Simple video explanations for conspiracy theorists who have difficulty with the science.

Let me know if you need any more help getting your head on straight.

I have a group of friends that believe that wearing a strap on dildo on your head will protect you from unicorns. Another group also believes that but only if the dildos are worn with a condom on them.

I feel more protected in the latter group.

I also wear it around people who I'm friends with who think it will protect them.
question, are you sick? protect them from what if you aren't?

I don't think so, but you know what they say:
what would the mask protect anyone from? you realize they don't actually prevent your water droplets from releasing in the air right? If they did, you'd be dead from no oxygen.
I surrounded my house with chain link fence--Now I won't have to worry about mosquitoes. Just as effective as covid masking.

I have a group of friends that believe that wearing a strap on dildo on your head will protect you from unicorns. Another group also believes that but only if the dildos are worn with a condom on them.

I feel more protected in the latter group.

Come on guys, no point in going on like this. You know the irony is I made this thread, but I don't actually want to go through all the studies I've read. I mean, the OP links to a bunch of articles on the subject. And crepitus put up his links in post 28. So I think that's where people should go to get their material, whatever side they're on. I was thinking I could just watch and see if anyone really wants to be serious about it or whether we just want to talk about unicorns and such instead. I mean, don't get me wrong, one of my favourite movies as a kid was The Last Unicorn, but it's not exactly what this thread is about :p.

is there a law in canada you'd be violating?

Simple video explanations for conspiracy theorists who have difficulty with the science.

Let me know if you need any more help getting your head on straight.

naw, it seems it is you that doesn't get it. Dude, if you can't see that as much shit comes through the mask as without one that's your loss. I can't help you. See, the droplets in the air are still there, do you need me to draw where for you, or can you admit they're there?

Additionally, most normal folks cover their mouths when they sneeze. So technically that's an errored side as well.

The pandemic is over

Its time to return to normalacy

Apparently it depends where you are. I looked to find some hard evidence of fines up to $2,500. I could only find one for $500:
Nearby Cote St-Luc, a municipality on the island of Montreal was the first jurisdiction to mandate mask-wearing in public businesses back on June 12.
The bylaw applies to all public stores and municipal buildings. People have the option to wear a face shield if they are unable to wear a mask due to health reasons. Residents will face fines up to $500 if they aren’t wearing a mask.

Source:

Fines may be imposed in Toronto, where I live, as well, but I haven't yet been able to find out just how high the fines can be:

Apparently it depends where you are. I looked to find some hard evidence of fines up to $2,500. I could only find one for $500:
Nearby Cote St-Luc, a municipality on the island of Montreal was the first jurisdiction to mandate mask-wearing in public businesses back on June 12.
The bylaw applies to all public stores and municipal buildings. People have the option to wear a face shield if they are unable to wear a mask due to health reasons. Residents will face fines up to $500 if they aren’t wearing a mask.

Source:
I'd be the one stepping out to challenge that unconstitutional mandate. you have rights and he's stepping on them with no authority.

The pandemic is over

Its time to return to normalacy
no, it's more like, people have gotten sick for all your lifetimes, all this pandemic shit ain't gonna change that unless they euthanize them all.

Source:
I'd be the one stepping out to challenge that unconstitutional mandate. you have rights and he's stepping on them with no authority.

I'm saving my challenges against the possibility of them restricting me in some way because of my refusal to get vaccinated. I've learned to pick my battles.

Again with this? You never answered my questions concerning what you have against actual medical websites, all of which state clearly that masks help reduce viral spread. That is 100% of actual, legitimate medical websites.

Again with this? You never answered my questions concerning what you have against actual medical websites, all of which state clearly that masks help reduce viral spread.
because the words there you ignore are reduce, reduce by how much? Reduce does not mean prevent. If masks actually worked, you would be dead. Why do you need me to wear one so badly? I'm not ill or sick or any other rational thing you could invent, you think you are so self righteous. Why don't you live in your basement and let us normal folks live our lives without your germaphobic tendencies?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back