The Jeff Saturday hire

Couchpotato

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2021
There has been much screaming and gnashing of teeth over the hiring of Jeff Saturday as the interim HC of the Colts. There have been complaints regarding the fact that he's not black, or at least because no one who was black was given an interview or seemingly considered. There have been complaints because he's never been a coordinator or even an assistant in the NFL or even College.

I dont understand why the job of NFL HC is seen as some sort of barometer of racial or social equality. There are only 32 of these jobs on the planet. Other than President is there a smaller job field in the US? There are more Senators, Governors, CEO's, etc. The NBA only has 30 HC spots so there's that I guess, but to the point it's a ridiculously small community so the racial/ethnic makeup seems to a degree irrelevant. Also, whoever is getting hired by the owner of the team has to mesh with that owner. Whether you like Irsay or not I find it hard to believe he's a racist. 2 of the 5 coaches he's hired have been black men.

But here's the biggest thing for me. What coach who is a serious candidate for a HC job wants the Interim job in the first place? There have been 42 interim HC's since 2000. 10 have gotten the full time job the next year, and with the exception of Jason Garrett none lasted very long. It's not like you're taking over a SB contender in Indy this year. Saturday will be lucky to win 2 or 3 of their remaining games, and it's very unlikely he's the HC next year and that's not necessarily an indictment of his coaching acumen. They are just a bad team.

Part of me wants the Colts to run the table and win a SB, just to throw it in the face of guys like Bill Cowher (who is the former HC of my Steelers) who's stance on this is ridiculous. Last I checked Bill doesn't have a broadcasting degree, or a degree in journalism, but he was fine with taking a high paying job to talk on TV. He didnt start as a local broadcaster either, went right to the top of the food chain. Why does he get to cut in front of all the broadcasters who worked their ass off in the trenches for years?

In the end Saturday will likely coach 8 games, have a losing record, and will not be the HC of the Colts next year so Im not sure what all the crying is about.

Better than hiring some black coach that they can't get shed of in a timely manner.....Lovie Smith comes to mind.

16 seasons as a HC between the NFL/college and he's a under .500 coach.

There has been much screaming and gnashing of teeth over the hiring of Jeff Saturday as the interim HC of the Colts. There have been complaints regarding the fact that he's not black, or at least because no one who was black was given an interview or seemingly considered. There have been complaints because he's never been a coordinator or even an assistant in the NFL or even College.

I dont understand why the job of NFL HC is seen as some sort of barometer of racial or social equality. There are only 32 of these jobs on the planet. Other than President is there a smaller job field in the US? There are more Senators, Governors, CEO's, etc. The NBA only has 30 HC spots so there's that I guess, but to the point it's a ridiculously small community so the racial/ethnic makeup seems to a degree irrelevant. Also, whoever is getting hired by the owner of the team has to mesh with that owner. Whether you like Irsay or not I find it hard to believe he's a racist. 2 of the 5 coaches he's hired have been black men.

But here's the biggest thing for me. What coach who is a serious candidate for a HC job wants the Interim job in the first place? There have been 42 interim HC's since 2000. 10 have gotten the full time job the next year, and with the exception of Jason Garrett none lasted very long. It's not like you're taking over a SB contender in Indy this year. Saturday will be lucky to win 2 or 3 of their remaining games, and it's very unlikely he's the HC next year and that's not necessarily an indictment of his coaching acumen. They are just a bad team.

Part of me wants the Colts to run the table and win a SB, just to throw it in the face of guys like Bill Cowher (who is the former HC of my Steelers) who's stance on this is ridiculous. Last I checked Bill doesn't have a broadcasting degree, or a degree in journalism, but he was fine with taking a high paying job to talk on TV. He didnt start as a local broadcaster either, went right to the top of the food chain. Why does he get to cut in front of all the broadcasters who worked their ass off in the trenches for years?

In the end Saturday will likely coach 8 games, have a losing record, and will not be the HC of the Colts next year so Im not sure what all the crying is about.
Picking anyone for a job because of their skin color is textbook systemic-racism. :iagree:

It was funny to see rightwinger come in here are attempt to portray this as just some over-reaction by you.... no, the leftist sports world absolutely freaked out about it.

And yes, applying the CRT thinking to NFL coaches, and merely counting them and dictating that if the numbers aren't enough there's an injustice, is either tragically or purposefully dumb. Who is going for head coaching gigs? What defines someone who "deserves" an opportunity?

Basically, we yet again have woke sports talking heads screaming about a mythical boogeyman of racism that they can't define but demand we acknowledge and act against.

It was funny to see rightwinger come in here are attempt to portray this as just some over-reaction by you.... no, the leftist sports world absolutely freaked out about it.
Suuuuuuuuuuuuure they did.

Back in reality, the only people here making this about politics are right-wing cranks.

Is it too much to ask that the righties here stop making every single thing entirely about racism? Just put your decks of race cards away.

No one saw Jeff Saturday being a coach lol

Apparently he’s friends with the owner. My guess is he’ll find out coaching in the nfl will be a lot harder than dishing out hot takes on ESPN

Suuuuuuuuuuuuure they did.

Back in reality, the only people here making this about politics are right-wing cranks.

Is it too much to ask that the righties here stop making every single thing entirely about racism? Just put your decks of race cards away.

You're aware that a ton of sports analysts cried foul that Saturday got this job because he's not black right?

Steven A
Shannon Sharpe
Skip Bayless
Joy Taylor
Ian Rapport
Kimberly Martin
Mike Wilbon

The list goes on and on.

And yes, applying the CRT thinking to NFL coaches, and merely counting them and dictating that if the numbers aren't enough there's an injustice, is either tragically or purposefully dumb. Who is going for head coaching gigs? What defines someone who "deserves" an opportunity?

Basically, we yet again have woke sports talking heads screaming about a mythical boogeyman of racism that they can't define but demand we acknowledge and act against.
What's interesting with the bitching about this hire is that I think this opens up HC opportunities for minority coaches. Former players start way behind the power curve with regard to "coaching experience" if they had a decent career in the NFL. Is a mid 30’s former star NFL player really going to go through the NUG work even mid level NFL assistants have to do? By and large the answer is no that guys isn’t, so that eliminates large portions of the coaching pool with in the minority community.

Forum List

Back