The Impeachment Trial of Donald Trump: Can He be Convicted?

BY RALPH NADER

Texas Congressman Joaquin Castro ... asked his colleagues: “If inciting a deadly insurrection is not enough to get a president impeached, then what is?” Ten Republicans voted for Impeachment, but 197 House Republicans disagreed....

Congressional Republicans have aided and abetted, for four years, Trump’s assertion that ... “I can do whatever I want as president.” Dangerous Donald did just that. He finally incited a massive, homicidal street crime against the very Congress that let him get away with everything, day after day ...

The GOP speakers who defended Trump in the House Impeachment debate will go down in history as unsurpassed political cowards ... Trump’s Congressional protectors, however, failed. The House of Representatives voted for Articles of Impeachment that are on their way to the Senate for a certain trial. The Senate should convict treacherous unrepentant Trump and ban him from ever seeking federal office again....

Trump’s business allies and supporters are not waiting for any verdicts. Major corporations such as Disney, Coca-Cola, and J.P. Morgan Chase have suspended campaign contributions to the GOP. Last week, the powerful National Association of Manufacturers demanded that Trump be removed from office under the 25th Amendment. Trump’s banks, to whom he owes hundreds of millions of dollars, are distancing themselves from their insatiable borrower....

McConnell ... is turning against Trump by declining to oppose Impeachment and signaling that he may unleash his Republican Senators to convict Trump, if only for their own political survival. The GOP polls are slipping and will slip more as the toxic stench of what occurred before and during the January 6th attack increases....

McConnell does not want Trump either to run or threaten to run again in 2024. The only way that yoke can be lifted is to free 17 or more Republican Senators to vote for conviction followed by a simple majority vote banning Trump from future federal office...

What are the probabilities that a conviction in the Senate will be achieved? Better than 50/50, given the survival instincts of the politicians wanting ... Trump off their backs.

The Impeachment Trial of Donald Trump: Can He be Convicted? - CounterPunch.org

I think Trump will be convicted.. Not only for what he's done, but because the Republican party needs to purge the Trumps. The GOP made a mistake when they supported the dumbest and most corrupt man we have ever had in the WH.

That's why you are quickly becoming known on this message board as complete and total mental case! Keep up the good work!

Trump and his sons have threatened the GOP.. including and specifically the Republicans in Georgia. He's out for revenge because he lost the election. They need to get rid of him ..

Threatened? This must be another one of your mental excursions where no man has gone before. You are pathetic!

The Impeachment Process in the Senate (congress.gov)

" When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present. The Senate enjoys broad discretion in establishing procedures to be undertaken in an impeachment trial. "

Lots of luck finding 17 votes.
If one republican doesn't show up for the vote, then you only need 16.

If 10 republicans don't show up, then you only need 10.

They can subtract their way to conviction. until not a single republican needs to vote guilty.

BY RALPH NADER

Texas Congressman Joaquin Castro ... asked his colleagues: “If inciting a deadly insurrection is not enough to get a president impeached, then what is?” Ten Republicans voted for Impeachment, but 197 House Republicans disagreed....

Congressional Republicans have aided and abetted, for four years, Trump’s assertion that ... “I can do whatever I want as president.” Dangerous Donald did just that. He finally incited a massive, homicidal street crime against the very Congress that let him get away with everything, day after day ...

The GOP speakers who defended Trump in the House Impeachment debate will go down in history as unsurpassed political cowards ... Trump’s Congressional protectors, however, failed. The House of Representatives voted for Articles of Impeachment that are on their way to the Senate for a certain trial. The Senate should convict treacherous unrepentant Trump and ban him from ever seeking federal office again....

Trump’s business allies and supporters are not waiting for any verdicts. Major corporations such as Disney, Coca-Cola, and J.P. Morgan Chase have suspended campaign contributions to the GOP. Last week, the powerful National Association of Manufacturers demanded that Trump be removed from office under the 25th Amendment. Trump’s banks, to whom he owes hundreds of millions of dollars, are distancing themselves from their insatiable borrower....

McConnell ... is turning against Trump by declining to oppose Impeachment and signaling that he may unleash his Republican Senators to convict Trump, if only for their own political survival. The GOP polls are slipping and will slip more as the toxic stench of what occurred before and during the January 6th attack increases....

McConnell does not want Trump either to run or threaten to run again in 2024. The only way that yoke can be lifted is to free 17 or more Republican Senators to vote for conviction followed by a simple majority vote banning Trump from future federal office...

What are the probabilities that a conviction in the Senate will be achieved? Better than 50/50, given the survival instincts of the politicians wanting ... Trump off their backs.

I think Trump will be convicted.. Not only for what he's done, but because the Republican party needs to purge the Trumps. The GOP made a mistake when they supported the dumbest and most corrupt man we have ever had in the WH.

That's why you are quickly becoming known on this message board as complete and total mental case! Keep up the good work!

Trump and his sons have threatened the GOP.. including and specifically the Republicans in Georgia. He's out for revenge because he lost the election. They need to get rid of him ..

Threatened? This must be another one of your mental excursions where no man has gone before. You are pathetic!

Yep.. Trump is recorded threatening the GA SOS and claiming he was a smuck for backing Kemp.. Its was an hour's worth of insults and intimidation. Trump's son Don junior told the Republicans in DC that if they didn't back Trump he was going to be working against them in their back yards. You must have seen him on the news or on video. Eric is mostly incoherent but he also threatened the GOP.

The GOP can do better.. They need to run someone smart and decent like Evan McMullen.. Trump was a horrible mistake.

BY RALPH NADER

Yep.. Trump is recorded threatening the GA SOS and claiming he was a smuck for backing Kemp.. Its was an hour's worth of insults and intimidation. Trump's son Don junior told the Republicans in DC that if they didn't back Trump he was going to be working against them in their back yards. You must have seen him on the news or on video. Eric is mostly incoherent but he also threatened the GOP.

The GOP can do better.. They need to run someone smart and decent like Evan McMullen.. Trump was a horrible mistake.

Oh, STFU! You take a lame stream media fake new headline are write your own narrative. A state Secretary of State is like being a school board member. It's not exactly a power position, and the asshole admitted he fucked up!

" When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present. The Senate enjoys broad discretion in establishing procedures to be undertaken in an impeachment trial. "

They can subtract their way to conviction. until not a single republican needs to vote guilty.

2/3s means 67 votes to convict.

not 66, not 57.

not 66, not 57.
2/3rds of the members present. Not 2/3rds of the entire senate.
They only need 51 members to form a quorum. So if only 25 republicans boycott the trial. Trump would be a guaranteed conviction.

BY RALPH NADER

No. Impeachment cannot be triggered until he;s re-elected in 2024,

not 66, not 57.
He's black. Don't confuse him.

How do you "impeach a citizen? I tire of idiots.
Maybe I have to speak slower.
They already impeached president Trump.
As such due process requires a trial during which the impeached can prove their innocence.
They don't need to be an officer of the government to be tried by the senate.

I'm afraid the Senate can do whatever they want ... there's no one to say they can't hold this trial and symbolically "remove him from office" ... and he'll be prohibited from holding elective office ever again ... the courts have been loath to interfere with the internal operations of Congress ...

As such due process requires a trial during which the impeached can prove their innocence.

I'm afraid the Senate can do whatever they want ... there's no one to say they can't hold this trial and symbolically "remove him from office" ... and he'll be prohibited from holding elective office ever again ... the courts have been loath to interfere with the internal operations of Congress ...
If Trump was such a pariah, why would Dems worry?

Sorry! This is a Constitutional issue and will require they issue a decision.

There will be no trial.

Can the object of the hatred of the Reich be convicted without a trial?

Of course. It's not like we have a functional system of government.

I love how the Reich quotes Nazi fuck Joaquin Castro who openly incited riots and violence all summer.

------------------------------

Then in 2019, Texas Rep. Joaquin Castro said Democrats would “fight [Trump] and challenge him in every way that we can in the Congress, in the courts, and in the streets and protests,” regarding if Trump declared a national emergency.

In 2019, when Trump was considering declaring a “national emergency” over the then-gov’t shutdown, Rep. @JoaquinCastrotx said if he did, Democrats would “fight him … in the streets” pic.twitter.com/rxSnSKhhLn
There will be no trial.? How will there be no trial. THe Democrats has the Senate . You must have a tnuous grip on reality just like your saviour T-Rump

A trial after Trump has left office?

I suspect the Nazis are that petty, but one dissenter from the Nazi party and it fails. There is ZERO chance of conviction - there will be no trial.

The senates own rules require they hold a trial, with no mention of the persons status as an officer of the government.

VIII. Upon the presentation of articles of impeachment
and the organization of the Senate as hereinbefore provided,
a writ of summons shall issue to the person impeached,
reciting said articles, and notifying him to appear before
the Senate upon a day and at a place to be fixed by the
Senate and named in such writ, and file his answer to said
articles of impeachment, and to stand to and abide the
orders and judgments of the Senate thereon;

What you of the Nazi party don't grasp is that even if you did hold a show trial, you would need two-thirds to convict.

You'll get mitt the bitch, but that's about it.

A trial after Trump has left office?

I suspect the Nazis are that petty, but one dissenter from the Nazi party and it fails. There is ZERO chance of conviction - there will be no trial.

As long as articles of impeachment are delivered to the senate, their rules require they schedule and hold a trial.

Trump might conceivably want to use the Senate trial like Castro used his “History Will Absolve Me” speech after he and his men on the “Grandma” really did launch an armed attempt to take power that failed. Hitler was also imprisoned after his “Beerhall Putsch.” Not making any comparisons. Just pointing out there is a propaganda angle.

Also, the Democratic leadership was aware of these issues when they impeached, but decided it was worth continuing.

Lastly, this will of course be a “political trial” and will not require any specific violation of law on the part of Trump. That, at least, is my understanding of the matter.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back