The hype and misunderstanding of AI

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Artificial Intelligence often congers up images of Skynet and the Terminator but what is it really based on today's applications.

AI is a buzzword primarily for marketers and the press, AI doesn't even exist yet. What we have is ML, Machine Learning or what some have labeled as "Augmented Intelligence", learning that requires a lot of "tweaking" from human sources to allow the machine to "learn". This allows the machine to learn to accomplish specific tasks without a programmer having to write tons of code.
The Sci-Fi AI is actually referred to as General Intelligence and will be a looooooong time in the future if we ever are able to build it. To put it in perspective;

Teaching computers to learn for themselves is a brilliant shortcut. And like all shortcuts, it involves cutting corners. There’s intelligence in AI systems, if you want to call it that. But it’s not organic intelligence, and it doesn’t play by the same rules humans do. You may as well ask: how clever is a book? What expertise is encoded in a frying pan?
So when you hear AI being touted by marketers and the media realize that it's really ML not AI in the true sense.
The state of AI in 2019

True AI doesn't exist yet...it's augmented intelligence

Artificial Intelligence often congers up images of Skynet and the Terminator but what is it really based on today's applications.

AI is a buzzword primarily for marketers and the press, AI doesn't even exist yet. What we have is ML, Machine Learning or what some have labeled as "Augmented Intelligence", learning that requires a lot of "tweaking" from human sources to allow the machine to "learn". This allows the machine to learn to accomplish specific tasks without a programmer having to write tons of code.
The Sci-Fi AI is actually referred to as General Intelligence and will be a looooooong time in the future if we ever are able to build it. To put it in perspective;

Teaching computers to learn for themselves is a brilliant shortcut. And like all shortcuts, it involves cutting corners. There’s intelligence in AI systems, if you want to call it that. But it’s not organic intelligence, and it doesn’t play by the same rules humans do. You may as well ask: how clever is a book? What expertise is encoded in a frying pan?
So when you hear AI being touted by marketers and the media realize that it's really ML not AI in the true sense.
The state of AI in 2019

I agree, and I tried to make that same point this morning in a discussion with my toaster, but since it is just a toaster, and not capable of more complex thought, it just took my remarks as an insult and ran out of the room crying.

The term has become tiresome.
It takes intelligence to create intelligence and to this point humans haven't shown they are intelligent.
But the rubes buy it hook line and sinker.

Now if you said AI was made from plants and organic, you could sell a lot of devices.

It takes intelligence to create intelligence and to this point humans haven't shown they are intelligent.

Now if you said AI was made from plants and organic, you could sell a lot of devices.
I'm surprised our resident conspiracy wackos aren't all over this telling us we're just tools of the State, sheeple to believe there is no AI......... :eusa_whistle:

I'm surprised our resident conspiracy wackos aren't all over this telling us we're just tools of the State, sheeple to believe there is no AI......... :eusa_whistle:
If the programmers are the same folks who programmed my vehicle, AI is currently under a recall.:rolleyes:
I would define true AI as having consciousness. We can't even define that ourselves.

I sincerely doubt the term is being used to "foil us." It's just a colloquialism at this point, and I'm not sure there's a single person I've met that's under the impression that AGI exists. I've never met one or heard testimony on the airwaves that it does...so this "misleading" we're talking about here seems to be missing the mark.

Should the only person that thinks AGI exists come forward, the OP (not you ringel, just what you wrote) would have some sort of merit. If nobody is under that impression, then you're merely quibbling over the misuse of terms. Oh well?

Anyhoo, anyone who wants to take a deep dive into AI, or sorry AGI don't hurt me, Lex Fridman's channel on youtube is a great, great resource. He's got interviews, at length, with many of the leading researchers, world-wide, from the world of AGI. Also other interviews ABOUT AGI, and its implications, etc

Humans are clearly intelligent.

If you weren't intelligent, you'd be a lousy judge of intelligence.

Once we have true AI technology will progress faster than the mind can comprehend. Imagine a computer that's capable of having and testing original thoughts. It could do 20,000 years of human intellectual work over the weekend. The ramifications are incalculable.

Once we have true AI technology will progress faster than the mind can comprehend. Imagine a computer that's capable of having and testing original thoughts. It could do 20,000 years of human intellectual work over the weekend. The ramifications are incalculable.
There's some pretty evocative advancements already being made. All we can do is stay tuned! If the skynet sort of thing comes to fruition, I'm not sure there's anything we could do about it - but there's many great minds working on that very problem. We shall see!~

The state of AI in 2019

So the terminator has not been created yet but they are working on it?

There, that makes me feel much better, thanks.

I sincerely doubt the term is being used to "foil us." It's just a colloquialism at this point, and I'm not sure there's a single person I've met that's under the impression that AGI exists. I've never met one or heard testimony on the airwaves that it does...so this "misleading" we're talking about here seems to be missing the mark.

Should the only person that thinks AGI exists come forward, the OP (not you ringel, just what you wrote) would have some sort of merit. If nobody is under that impression, then you're merely quibbling over the misuse of terms. Oh well?

Anyhoo, anyone who wants to take a deep dive into AI, or sorry AGI don't hurt me, Lex Fridman's channel on youtube is a great, great resource. He's got interviews, at length, with many of the leading researchers, world-wide, from the world of AGI. Also other interviews ABOUT AGI, and its implications, etc
I was relaying that the usage had become generic as was stated in the linked articles and showing the true difference as also stated in the articles.
I have run into a very few who think that the AI will turn into the sentient Sci-Fi monsters as depicted in movies and that it will happen sooner than later.

The state of AI in 2019

AI can only be as good or bad as we make it.

I was relaying that the usage had become generic as was stated in the linked articles and showing the true difference as also stated in the articles.
I have run into a very few who think that the AI will turn into the sentient Sci-Fi monsters as depicted in movies and that it will happen sooner than later.
You're out of the loop, then. Perhaps you should listen to the folks at MIT that are literally working on developing AGI.

The "sky net" sort of thing is an actual concern, not a crack-pot one.

The state of AI in 2019

Your comfort knows no boundaries does it.

Yea, I'm sure people will just naturally do the right thing.

Thanks for that.

You could be right, but what if you're not? Do you want to wake up some day when this is the number one song on the radio?

You could be right, but what if you're not? Do you want to wake up some day when this is the number one song on the radio?

I wouldn't underestimate AGI at all. I'm actually following the conversation among the physicists pretty closely, and so-far, none of them have any real fail-safe to propose. That, too is being worked on though...and humans are pretty fuckin awesome. Some say they're not while they walk around on a wireless device that's able to reach any other human on the planet.

The state of AI in 2019

Your comfort knows no boundaries does it.

Yea, I'm sure people will just naturally do the right thing.

Thanks for that.
That's what you get out of what I'm saying? Of course you conspiracy nutjobs are always right even when you aren't and that's 99% of the time....... :rolleyes:

New Topics

Forum List

Back