The Harley Mystique

I was talking about the OP and your knee jerk reaction. Oh and I never once criticized Harleys, even stated I liked them, just can't afford em. Looks like you're the one with sand in your vagina.........
My first bike was a 1969 xlch 900
My buddy smoked me on a cb750
Soooo. I solved that by pre-ordering a 1972 H2 triple :th_BlackHelicopter:

Not surprising, I've read that the CB750 was the birth of the super bike.
I had a CB750 before I bought one of these 2nd hand. They too would smoke a lot of things.

965040466755fbfc0b6805054f1e8c64.jpg

I had a CB750 before I bought one of these 2nd hand. They too would smoke a lot of things.

965040466755fbfc0b6805054f1e8c64.jpg
Never was a sport bike fan for two reasons, first it hurt my back to ride one and second I couldn't plant both feet firmly on the ground. Other than that there's nothing wrong with them, good bikes even if some of the riders appear to have a death wish.

1653397063677.png

Just bought one of these yesterday ('07 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe). I had looked at just about everything of this type, going from a Heritage Softail to various Japanese V-twin clones of the Harley's. Ultimately, I like the idea of a V-4, the sound, and how it drives. I like having factory cruise and a power outlet for...whatever. It's not "fast," but it is fast enough. Passing on the highway is not an issue.

At 72 y.o., this is undoubtedly my last MC. Hope I don't get myself killed on it.

View attachment 648895

Just bought one of these yesterday ('07 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe). I had looked at just about everything of this type, going from a Heritage Softail to various Japanese V-twin clones of the Harley's. Ultimately, I like the idea of a V-4, the sound, and how it drives. I like having factory cruise and a power outlet for...whatever. It's not "fast," but it is fast enough. Passing on the highway is not an issue.

At 72 y.o., this is undoubtedly my last MC. Hope I don't get myself killed on it.

Cool. What did it end up settin' you back?

The only people I see riding Harleys are the ones who trailer their bikes to a place drive up and down the street and then trailer them back home.

Harley is more expensive but it has more resale value. Harley is not for me personally. i am not that old so the nostalgia does not do anything for me.

I've had all kinds of bikes, I ride an '09 Ultra. I can switch it from one-up to two-up in about ten minutes. I can carry everything I need for a week, including raingear and a tire patch kit and it's not overweight on the bags and suspension. It's smooth and comfortable all day long. It's got tunes and cruise control. Not super fast, but it pulls through all the gears easily and puts the torque to the rear wheel.

The only time it's too big is when it's stopped. You have to pay attention to your footing. It is not a light bike to pick up. It's a lot more nimble than they get credit for. If you stay in the powerband and use the gearbox, it's plenty of fun in the windies and perfectly happy to scrape the floorboards. Goldwings are the same way- they can be sportier than they look.

There is a "Harley Tax". They come from the factory all choked down, and they need a stage 1 upgrade. Intake, exhaust, remap the A/F ratio. Some people complain about that, you can buy a CVO and it's already done. Not that they can't be left stock, but fixing that helps them run cooler in the summer and improves the throttle response.

If you like chrome plated plastic buy a Japanese bike. I like that I can interchange a lot of parts from different year touring frames, there is an unlimited amount of customization you can do. Harleys are made to be taken apart and put back together with normal tools and techniques. e.g. You can work on them. The fuel tank really is a fuel tank- it's not a piece of plastic hiding a mass of computers and electronics underneath. Call me a purist.

bike.jpg

My Royal Star cost about $5,900.

It is functionally the same as a Road King, which with similar miles and condition would have been a couple thousand more. But that 88 motor is a problem looking to happen. My 1300 will last longer than I will.

Harley is more expensive but it has more resale value. Harley is not for me personally. i am not that old so the nostalgia does not do anything for me.
You like Nostalgic?

00V0V_jSSRPMtjnaOz_1320MM_600x450.jpg

If I didn't already have a bike I'd buy this (which a guy is selling locally). Nope, not an Indian Chief but the 2006 Kawasaki 800 Drifter built to look like an Indian Chief.

The only people I see riding Harleys are the ones who trailer their bikes to a place drive up and down the street and then trailer them back home.

You should come down to Daytona in October, or follow us to Sturgis in August.

Sure, many people trailer their bikes to rallies.

Most don't...

I like the Indian FTR. With 120 horsepower it should hold its own with a 600 Ninja. I would love to ride winding mountain roads on it.

I live in an area that pre-covid had dozens of bikes every week park nearby. I would say a modded Harley sound not the small engine 883 version is tough to beat. New cam, new exhaust, etc. is required though which means hundreds of dollars. The thing is even then they are slow and handle poorly. That said, the scariest bike I ever rode was a Moto Guzzi 1000. At slow, parking lot speed, you could feel the weight of it. It wanted to go down in either direction if you did not fight with it. :laugh:

Today, I would get a BMW NineT, the Triumph Bobber, or Indian Scout. If Yamahas had more comfortable seats, that would be an obvious choice consideration also.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back