Victory Motorcycles

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Well, I sold my Goldwing a month or so ago, and kinda decided that at 72 it's time I got my first Harley. I've ridden Harley's several times, renting them when on vacation in Florida, New York State, Colorado, and elsewhere. They are OK. No nicer than my Japanese bikes have been, but OK.

What I basically want is a substitute for my Goldwing. I want a "touring" bike that carries two humans in reasonable comfort. I like cruise control, but that's not essential. In the Harley line, I've been thinking that would be either a Road King or a Heritage Softail, suitably equipped, and these can be had for $8k or less with relatively low miles. I don't think I want "full dress" like an Ultra. I want something a little bit more manageable.

If I abandon the Harley thought, there are a ton of Japanese bikes that fit the bill. In fact, I like the Royal Star model right below the Venture, which has an excellent reputation. But Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Honda make a lot of similar bikes that can be equipped the way I want. I looked at a BMW K1200LT, and they are extremely cheap, but there are simply too many nightmare stories out there about common problems, expensive maintenance, and special tooling requirements (not that I'm Mr. Fix-it). I would be pissed if I encountered a couple thousand dollar "surprises" with my next bike, and I really don't even know where I would take a BMW for service.

Then, doing a generic search today, a couple of Victory models popped up.

While Victory MC's are no longer made, they have an interesting history. They were created by Polaris - a very reputable company it its own right - in order to try to steal some market share from Harley. Their engineers focused on Harley's well-known "issues," and designed their bikes to address them. Many people agree that model-for-model, Victory's were actually better motorcycles than Harley, considering torque, comfort, performance, and longevity. And they were made in the U.S.

When they dropped the Victory line in favor of the new Indian's, Polaris promised Victory owners that they would continue to make replacement parts available for ten years, presumably through Indian dealers, and there is an Indian dealer less than a mile from my house.

Victory bikes are a little more stylized than Harley's; they really grab one's attention visually. This one really caught my eye, but there are a few others that are comparable, for anywhere from $6-8 thousand. Seems worth a closer look.

1644253446499.png

A buddy of mine used to have a Victory. Some chick, who was all jacked up on meth, rear-ended him and his passenger at a stop light during Bike Week. The front end of the car actually wrapped around the ass-end of the bike. It threw his passenger about 80'. She's now paralyzed from the waist down.

Bryan doesn't ride anymore because of that accident, but I remember him saying that, if he was going to replace the bike, it wouldn't be with another Victory. It wasn't any one thing about the Victory; it is a good bike. But he said he didn't feel it was as substantial a bike, physically, as Harley or Indian. I rode his bike a couple of times and it was fine, but I'd have to find a really good deal on one before I bought one. I( don't recall thinking it was anything special, especially in the comfort department.

I've got and ride Harleys. My "every day" bike is a 2016 Street Glide. I got a very nice deal on it, and could easily sell it for what I paid for it. At 72, you may not ever find yourself in the position of wanting or having to sell whatever it is you end up buying but, if you did, Harleys hold their value better than just about anything else out there...

Last edited:
Well, I sold my Goldwing a month or so ago, and kinda decided that at 72 it's time I got my first Harley. I've ridden Harley's several times, renting them when on vacation in Florida, New York State, Colorado, and elsewhere. They are OK. No nicer than my Japanese bikes have been, but OK.

What I basically want is a substitute for my Goldwing. I want a "touring" bike that carries two humans in reasonable comfort. I like cruise control, but that's not essential. In the Harley line, I've been thinking that would be either a Road King or a Heritage Softail, suitably equipped, and these can be had for $8k or less with relatively low miles. I don't think I want "full dress" like an Ultra. I want something a little bit more manageable.

If I abandon the Harley thought, there are a ton of Japanese bikes that fit the bill. In fact, I like the Royal Star model right below the Venture, which has an excellent reputation. But Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Honda make a lot of similar bikes that can be equipped the way I want. I looked at a BMW K1200LT, and they are extremely cheap, but there are simply too many nightmare stories out there about common problems, expensive maintenance, and special tooling requirements (not that I'm Mr. Fix-it). I would be pissed if I encountered a couple thousand dollar "surprises" with my next bike, and I really don't even know where I would take a BMW for service.

Then, doing a generic search today, a couple of Victory models popped up.

While Victory MC's are no longer made, they have an interesting history. They were created by Polaris - a very reputable company it its own right - in order to try to steal some market share from Harley. Their engineers focused on Harley's well-known "issues," and designed their bikes to address them. Many people agree that model-for-model, Victory's were actually better motorcycles than Harley, considering torque, comfort, performance, and longevity. And they were made in the U.S.

When they dropped the Victory line in favor of the new Indian's, Polaris promised Victory owners that they would continue to make replacement parts available for ten years, presumably through Indian dealers, and there is an Indian dealer less than a mile from my house.

Victory bikes are a little more stylized than Harley's; they really grab one's attention visually. This one really caught my eye, but there are a few others that are comparable, for anywhere from $6-8 thousand. Seems worth a closer look.

View attachment 598385
I am considering selling my Goldwing as well. Living in the northern tier, we don't get as much riding time in as we used to and the idea of a cross country ride is out of the question. I have been toying with the idea of getting a late model two seater car--something similar to the old Triumph TR6 or MGB. I haven't done much looking, but it seems the Mazda MX5 Miata or the BMW Z4 might be a couple of possibilities.

I rented one of those Indian touring bikes in Colorado once. Very nice.

Victory is American. Made in Iowa. Probably more American content than Harley in many cases.

The Victory picture above has an aftermarket Corbin seat, which is a significant consideration. I love those seats.

...on the other hand, it is possible to find a low-mileage Heritage softail for under $8k, and they are very nice.

Yeah, probably.

I've never seen a Harley that didn't eventualy leak oil like a sieve, though.

Really, the Goldwing is probably the best touring bike.
I'll attest to that. I've put about 210K miles between three of them, 79 w/vetter fairing and samsonite bags, 87, and a 99 that I'm still riding. They don't call 'em road sofas for nothing.

You can come look at mine.

Not a drop, ever...

Oh, I believe you. I was just saying that I've never seen one that didn't spring a leak at some point. I obviously haven't seen all of em. Just the ones my friends have or have had.

Forum List

Back