The Green energy Price gougers emerge...update on electric car travel....pay attention....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So It's been a month now with the leaf. I got the 40kwh package which has a marginal range but I can't complain too much since the total cost was good for me as I have free charging on both ends of my commute. Recently I joined EV GO..... a charging station network, and I have some interesting stuff to report. Now EV go sends you an RF card with one of you credit card accounts tallied into the info so you simply hold it up to the charger and you're off to the races right? OK....but....you don't buy KWH at the charging station you buy time. Ahhhh........there's the rub. So with the very same model of fast charging equipment at the dealers and at the retail charging center I decide to do a little experiment all other things being equal. Since the battery pack has a progressive resistance to charging it charges slower at the top end then at the bottom end. I picked a specific percentage ...between 70 and 71 percent for both episodes. Using a stop watch I timed the charging between 70 and 71 percent which produces a certain amount of total KWH passed over to the pack.....at the dealer's charger which has no ulterior profit motive...it took exactly 2 minutes. Stopping at the EV go charger that was identical make and model to the dealer's machine it took exactly 4 minutes ( $1.20 ) ...hmmmm.....very interesting no? Now can anyone think of any reason why that should be? I can.

With those new numbers the price for a 1KWH ( four miles of travel on most electric cars) of charge jumps up to about. so lets see now..... my former gas powered vehicle was getting 27 mpg... dived by 4 and multiply by $1.20 and suddenly it costs me $8.10 to travel the same 27 miles that I previously paid only $4.00 for ( one gallon of 89 octane) ...WOW! There's an eye opener for ya..... I have a feeling this is just the beginning.

Stay tuned folks...

I will continue to add to this series as I gain experience with this new vehicle.

JO

My son bought a Tesla mostly because it is a status symbol in the upscale community where he lives. I told him he was an idiot buying it but he did it anyway.

He had to put in a charging plug in his home garage. Cost him $1200.

After having the stupid vehicle for three months he has a good feel for his increased electrical bill.

If you use the Trump era price of gas then his increased electrical bill is about 85% of what he use to pay for gas. A small savings but not really that much.

However, if you use the President Potatohead's cost of gas then it is much bigger savings.

In other words it is only because of the piss poor energy policy of Potatohead that makes it more viable to charge an EV than to buy fuel.

You are right about the fact that the charging stations will become a way to gouge the public the more EVs that get on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back