Discussion has been closed? Wow.....that's amazing.

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
anyone who wants the numbers on the growing price gouging going on at the EV charge stations can PM me. I did mess up the numbers a little in that post but I now have the accurate ones and they are still very eye opening.

Thanks

JO

Last edited:
That seemed a bit odd of a lock sure enough.

I had a exchange the other day about the whole charging station thing. I never even thought about the cost of installing one in your home.

Last edited:
Did you douche nozzles think you were always going to escape 'gas prices'?

You dumb farm animals just willingly went into the same pen they are gonna force EVERYONE into over the next 20 years.

Nothin worse than a smug, holier than thou, 'do gooder' asshole.

That's electric car people in a nutshell.

I had a exchange the other day about the whole charging station thing. I never even thought about the cost of installing one in your home.
Yeah...if you're going to charge frequently you don't want to do it at a retail charger that's for sure. I just looked at my EV GO account
it charged me $3.19 cents for 1.523 kwh....due to the fact that I am not actually buying the KWH but instead am renting time on the charger. This is very deceptive. $3.19/1.523 = $2.09 per KWH at the retail as opposed to 50.29 cents at home for the same amount of juice calculated at my true cost of 32 cents per KWH. That's definitely price gouging. so that's a 400 percent increase from home charging...wow. So If I pay 4 bucks for 27 miles in my gas vehicle that's about 15 Cents per mile but if I charge at the commercial charging station I pay over 50 cents per mile. If I charge at home at 32 cents per KWH it's about 8 cents per mile. Home charging wins....but that's only if Hydrocarbons stay artificially inflated and only until electric cars start to develop a monopoly which will sky rocket the cost per KWH.

beware

JO

Last edited:
Did you douche nozzles think you were always going to escape 'gas prices'?

You dumb farm animals just willingly went into the same pen they are gonna force EVERYONE into over the next 20 years.

Nothin worse than a smug, holier than thou, 'do gooder' asshole.

That's electric car people in a nutshell.
Bingo.....

Apparently they are sensitive to the issue .... it may have been that the moderator spotted my math errors which I did not see until after I reread it though,. Not sure. But it is becoming apparent that all we are really doing is trading out one group of thieves for another group called green.

They want all you proles off the roads and crammed into public transportation sardine cans and high crime zones. It will make the elites' drives around town much more pleasant and convenient.

They want all you proles off the roads and crammed into public transportation sardine cans and high crime zones. It will make the elites' drives around town much more pleasant and convenient.
yep

anyone who wants the numbers on the growing price gouging going on at the EV charge stations can PM me. I did mess up the numbers a little in that post but I now have the accurate ones and they are still very eye opening.

Thanks

JO
If you cannot charge from home, you're in the hands of price gougers. Charging bays cost twice as much at our local supermarkets and up to four times the price at others. Once tax per mile kicks in and subsidies dry up when you buy a new car, people will be stuck driving around in expensive battery machines.

If you cannot charge from home, you're in the hands of price gougers. Charging bays cost twice as much at our local supermarkets and up to four times the price at others. Once tax per mile kicks in and subsidies dry up when you buy a new car, people will be stuck driving around in expensive battery machines.
Yep

Yeah...if you're going to charge frequently you don't want to do it at a retail charger that's for sure. I just looked at my EV GO account
it charged me $3.19 cents for 1.523 kwh....due to the fact that I am not actually buying the KWH but instead am renting time on the charger. This is very deceptive. $3.19/1.523 = $2.09 per KWH at the retail as opposed to 50.29 cents at home for the same amount of juice calculated at my true cost of 32 cents per KWH. That's definitely price gouging. so that's a 400 percent increase from home charging...wow. So If I pay 4 bucks for 27 miles in my gas vehicle that's about 15 Cents per mile but if I charge at the commercial charging station I pay over 50 cents per mile. If I charge at home at 32 cents per KWH it's about 8 cents per mile. Home charging wins....but that's only if Hydrocarbons stay artificially inflated and only until electric cars start to develop a monopoly which will sky rocket the cost per KWH.

beware

JO
And you didn't include the time factor.
Time for charging starts at $50/HR....that's the retail minimum cost for your time. Doesn't matter if you are twiddling your thumbs or surfing the internet or collating accounts.

You have to add that to the cost of time for filling a vehicle.

And you didn't include the time factor.
Time for charging starts at $50/HR....that's the retail minimum cost for your time. Doesn't matter if you are twiddling your thumbs or surfing the internet or collating accounts.

You have to add that to the cost of time for filling a vehicle.

Actually it's the time that kills you.
Reason for that is that they control the speed of the charging. There is definitely a difference between the retail charger that I have to pay for and the charger I use at the dealer that came with a certain number of free hours. The dealership's charger, even though it's the exact same model right down to the last detail, is much faster than the retail one.

So they can control the price of a kilowatt hour by controlling the speed of the charging. I'd say it's a pretty good idea to avoid those things all together unless it's an emergency.

They don't even have the system set up quite yet and already the thieves are in.

Last edited:
Actually it's the time that kills you.
Reason for that is that they control the speed of the charging. There is definitely a difference between the retail charger that I have to pay for and the charger I use at the dealer that came with a certain number of free hours. The dealership's charger, even though it's the exact same model right down to the last detail, is much faster than the retail one.

So they can control the price of a kilowatt hour by controlling the speed of the charging. I'd say it's a pretty good idea to avoid those things all together unless it's an emergency.

They don't even have the system set up quite yet and already the thieves are in.
Now that charger you have at the house has to have a cost for the unit plus the cost of installation and any repairs over the years you use it. That has to be spread out over the charges you use it to recharge your car too.

Then you have the expected lifespan of the batteries which is usually expressed in number of charges and you have to spread that cost out as well for each recharge.

Even with home charging...I'm thinking that the cost is roughly equal to ICE but with a significantly increased hassle factor and reduced range. The pollution is roughly the same as the aluminum in the EV and other specialized parts for it are initially more than any ICE will have.

Now that charger you have at the house has to have a cost for the unit plus the cost of installation and any repairs over the years you use it. That has to be spread out over the charges you use it to recharge your car too.

Then you have the expected lifespan of the batteries which is usually expressed in number of charges and you have to spread that cost out as well for each recharge.

Even with home charging...I'm thinking that the cost is roughly equal to ICE but with a significantly increased hassle factor and reduced range. The pollution is roughly the same as the aluminum in the EV and other specialized parts for it are initially more than any ICE will have.
Yeah I wired up my juice box ($600.00) myself with a 6 gauge lead from the breaker box. Installation was roughly two grand if I had a pro do it. Oddly the pro only intended to use 10 gauge. After talking with an electrical engineer and work he encouraged me to go down to six. I fully agree with you on the carbon footprint... When will the left learn that no energy transactions can be had for free.

Forum List

Back