The greatest songwriters and composers.

Nice thread idea, Angelo. The greatest pop/rock music composers, at least to my mind are - 1) Lennon and McCartney, perhaps THE greatest songwriting duo ever. 2) Bob Dylan, say what you want about his vocals, he was/is a brilliant songwriter. 3) Paul Simon, just a fantastic songwriter. I love many songs he wrote for himself and Art Garfunkel, and also many songs he wrote after going solo. 4) Willie Dixon, he's my favorite blues music songwriter. He wrote many classics for both Muddy Waters AND Howlin' Wolf. 5) Warren Zevon, a brilliantly quirky and very descriptive songwriter. If you know his work only for his "Werewolves of London", please check out virtually any of his other work. You'll be glad you did. The songwriting team of Elton John and Bernie Taupin just misses my top 5.

Last edited:
George M Cohan - The Man Who Owned Broadway

Roosevelt presented him with the Congressional Medal of Honor for his patriotic songs during and after WWI.

one person you wont see on this list is the so called king of rock n roll...
That, of course, is because Elvis Presley wasn't a songwriter. His brilliant interpretations of OTHER people's music is what made him a legend. And deservedly so. The OTHER Elvis, Elvis Costello, IS a brilliant songwriter.
he did not create he was just a good looking white kid who could sing.....if it wasnt for Scotty Moore he would not have sounded so good.....Rick Nelson was the same way......good looking white kid who could sing,James Burton made him sound good......but thats just me.....

one person you wont see on this list is the so called king of rock n roll...
That, of course, is because Elvis Presley wasn't a songwriter. His brilliant interpretations of OTHER people's music is what made him a legend. And deservedly so. The OTHER Elvis, Elvis Costello, IS a brilliant songwriter.
Same with Whitney Houston. Amazing voice but not much creativity wise really,

Forum List

Back