The Great RW myth about the Founders' meaning of 'Republic'.

Conservatives hate majority rule. Conservatives hate the judiciary overruling the majority.

Conservatives hate it either way.

Paul Ryan on abortion rights:

“We don’t think that unelected judges should make this decision,” he said. “We think that people through their elected representatives should make this determination.”

IOW, 'mob rule' is bad unless we like the outcome. That is how the Right thinks.

Ryan: Elected officials - not judges - should decide on the legality of abortion - MedCity News
Funny how the leftards want individual states rights circumvented by liberal mandate..
The far right fooks want popular democracy on civil rights, like abortion or gay marraige, but the EVs on the presidency. :lol:. They are fooks because they cannot think straightly. Billy_boob is but one example. Shakles is another.

"Think straightly"??? Really Jake Does this basically summarize your personal knowledge on the subject? When exactly ARE you going to finally start contributing something of knowledge on one of these threads exactly, beyond just the usual bloviated commentaries of course? You know, a well thought out discussion with substance and links would sure be a shock to many of us here.
Far and objective discussions with evidence is something you can never do, Shaklestool. You want whatever furthers your insidious schemes, whether republicanism or mass democracy. You simply want power by any means that works.

We hear it all the time. The founders didn't want democracy; they wanted a 'republic'. The distinction is usually made by conservatives to defend any undemocratic aspects of our system of government -

those that just so happen to suit the conservative agenda.

Well, how about we hear what a real founding father really said about this thing 'republic'.

Thomas Jefferson:

"It must be acknowledged that the term republic is of very vague application in every language... Were I to assign to this term a precise and definite idea,

I would say purely and simply it means a government by its citizens in mass, acting directly and personally according to rules established by the majority; and that every other government is more or less republican in proportion as it has in its composition more or less of this ingredient of direct action of the citizens.

Such a government is evidently restrained to very narrow limits of space and population. I doubt if it would be practicable beyond the extent of a New England township." --Thomas Jefferson to John Taylor, 1816. ME 15:19

Get it? Jefferson EQUATES 'republic' to 'direct democracy', with only the caveat that a direct democracy becomes impractical in larger areas of space and population.

Never does he say that democracy and republic are distinct or separate entities.

Jefferson again:

"A democracy [is] the only pure republic, but impracticable beyond the limits of a town." --Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1816. ME 15:65

.Once again, he does NOT differentiate between democracy and republic,

he equates them.

And Jefferson continues:

"The first shade from this pure element which, like that of pure vital air cannot sustain life of itself, would be where the powers of the government, being divided, should be exercised each by representatives chosen either pro hac vice, or for such short terms as should render secure the duty of expressing the will of their constituents. This I should consider as the nearest approach to a pure republic which is practicable on a large scale of country or population.

There he explains how a representative democracy, or republic, should function, when a pure (direct) democracy, aka a republic, is impractical.

And one more...

"We may say with truth and meaning that governments are more or less republican as they have more or less of the element of popular election and control in their composition..." Thomas Jefferson to John Taylor, 1816. ME 15:23

I suggest that before certain people spout off about what the founders believed, they actually find out what the founders believed.

Jefferson on Politics & Government: Republican Principles

Stupid shit like this is why you have no credibility... no not you personally, but your regressive gang. You don't have credibility because your IQ is smaller than that of a potato. Admittedly, typical in the group.
Norman, when are you going to grow up and talk like an adult. The founders were republican in political philosophy, in that they did not trust the hordes of revisionist poorly educated right wingers in the states.

We hear it all the time. The founders didn't want democracy; they wanted a 'republic'. The distinction is usually made by conservatives to defend any undemocratic aspects of our system of government -

Well, how about we hear what a real founding father really said about this thing 'republic'.

Thomas Jefferson:

"It must be acknowledged that the term republic is of very vague application in every language... Were I to assign to this term a precise and definite idea,

I would say purely and simply it means a government by its citizens in mass, acting directly and personally according to rules established by the majority; and that every other government is more or less republican in proportion as it has in its composition more or less of this ingredient of direct action of the citizens.

Such a government is evidently restrained to very narrow limits of space and population. I doubt if it would be practicable beyond the extent of a New England township." --Thomas Jefferson to John Taylor, 1816. ME 15:19

Get it? Jefferson EQUATES 'republic' to 'direct democracy', with only the caveat that a direct democracy becomes impractical in larger areas of space and population.

Never does he say that democracy and republic are distinct or separate entities.

Jefferson again:

"A democracy [is] the only pure republic, but impracticable beyond the limits of a town." --Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1816. ME 15:65

he equates them.

And Jefferson continues:

"The first shade from this pure element which, like that of pure vital air cannot sustain life of itself, would be where the powers of the government, being divided, should be exercised each by representatives chosen either pro hac vice, or for such short terms as should render secure the duty of expressing the will of their constituents. This I should consider as the nearest approach to a pure republic which is practicable on a large scale of country or population.

There he explains how a representative democracy, or republic, should function, when a pure (direct) democracy, aka a republic, is impractical.

And one more...

"We may say with truth and meaning that governments are more or less republican as they have more or less of the element of popular election and control in their composition..." Thomas Jefferson to John Taylor, 1816. ME 15:23

I suggest that before certain people spout off about what the founders believed, they actually find out what the founders believed.

Stupid shit like this is why you have no credibility... no not you personally, but your regressive gang. You don't have credibility because your IQ is smaller than that of a potato. Admittedly, typical in the group.
Norman, when are you going to grow up and talk like an adult. The founders were republican in political philosophy, in that they did not trust the hordes of revisionist poorly educated right wingers in the states.

This person, kind of like you, isn't mentally on adult level. I address you at your appropriate level.

Thomas Jefferson:

Jefferson again:

he equates them.

And Jefferson continues:

And one more...

I quoted Jefferson verbatim. He believed democracy and republic were interchangeable terms.

Thomas Jefferson:

Jefferson again:

he equates them.

And Jefferson continues:

And one more...

I quoted Jefferson verbatim. He believed democracy and republic were interchangeable terms.

No, he did not say that. You are just dumb and can't pick up the nuance. We already knew you were dumb.

Regardless of what he thought, they are not interchangeable.

Conservatives hate majority rule. Conservatives hate the judiciary overruling the majority.

“We don’t think that unelected judges should make this decision,” he said. “We think that people through their elected representatives should make this determination.”

IOW, 'mob rule' is bad unless we like the outcome. That is how the Right thinks.

Ryan: Elected officials - not judges - should decide on the legality of abortion - MedCity News
Funny how the leftards want individual states rights circumvented by liberal mandate..
The far right fooks want popular democracy on civil rights, like abortion or gay marraige, but the EVs on the presidency. :lol:. They are fooks because they cannot think straightly. Billy_boob is but one example. Shakles is another.

As the country polarizes more and more, the electoral college system becomes a distinct advantage for Republicans.
In two out of the last three GOP presidential wins, they've needed the electoral college (that disaster for democracy as Trump called it) to overcome their loss of the popular vote.

Thomas Jefferson:

Jefferson again:

he equates them.

And Jefferson continues:

And one more...

No, he did not say that. You are just dumb and can't pick up the nuance. We already knew you were dumb.

Ok, who wrote the letters then?

As the country polarizes more and more, the electoral college system becomes a distinct advantage for Republicans.
In two out of the last three GOP presidential wins, they've needed the electoral college (that disaster for democracy as Trump called it) to overcome their loss of the popular vote.

As suspected, your argument against the system is that it's better for republicans than a more puritarian democracy.

Similar to you every argument made ever. If it advances democrats = good, if not = bad. How dumb is that...

Thomas Jefferson:

Jefferson again:

he equates them.

And Jefferson continues:

And one more...

It's not who wrote them, it's about the fool who decided to interpret them.

We didn't need it the country needed it.

Thomas Jefferson:

Jefferson again:

he equates them.

And Jefferson continues:

And one more...

Jefferson said:

"We may say with truth and meaning that governments are more or less republican as they have more or less of the element of popular election and control in their composition..."

IOW, he is saying that a government is more 'republican' the more that 'popular election' controls its composition.

That is contrary to the idea that the electoral college, for example, which is not a 'popular election' represents a more 'republican' government.

Jefferson is saying that represents a less 'republican' government.

Thomas Jefferson:

Jefferson again:

he equates them.

And Jefferson continues:

And one more...

Ok, then you interpret the quote:

"We may say with truth and meaning that governments are more or less republican as they have more or less of the element of popular election and control in their composition..."

It sure as hell doesn't mean that "republic" is completely interchangeable with "democracy". And even if it did, you have no case, as these are two DIFFERENT concepts.

Pure democracy is mob rule, republic is a much more restricted with guaranteed rights for all, by the constitution. But please go on pretending...

This person, kind of like you, isn't mentally on adult level. I address you at your appropriate level.
In fact, you were addressing at your highest level of understandng is the point.

In fact, you were addressing at your highest level of understandng is the point.

Well, then it's not much of a point, given that it's not true. Of course, truth is something you haven't ever come in contact with.

"A Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding on what's for dinner" - often accredited to Benjamin Franklin

Federal Republic (n)
a form of government made up of a federal state with a constitution and self-governing subunits

Example
The United States of America is a federal republic on the continent of North America.

the definition of federal republic

A federal republic is a type of government made up of smaller areas such as states or provinces where the central government cedes certain powers to the individual areas for self-government purposes. The citizens of the federal republic elect their own representatives to lead them.

What is a federal republic?

"An Important Distinction: Democracy versus Republic

It is important to keep in mind the difference between a Democracy and a Republic, as dissimilar forms of government. Understanding the difference is essential to comprehension of the fundamentals involved. It should be noted, in passing, that use of the word Democracy as meaning merely the popular type of government--that is, featuring genuinely free elections by the people periodically--is not helpful in discussing, as here, the difference between alternative and dissimilar forms of a popular government: a Democracy versus a Republic. This double meaning of Democracy--a popular-type government in general, as well as a specific form of popular government--needs to be made clear in any discussion, or writing, regarding this subject, for the sake of sound understanding.

These two forms of government: Democracy and Republic, are not only dissimilar but antithetical, reflecting the sharp contrast between (a) The Majority Unlimited, in a Democracy, lacking any legal safeguard of the rights of The Individual and The Minority, and (b) The Majority Limited, in a Republic under a written Constitution safeguarding the rights of The Individual and The Minority; as we shall now see."

more

An Important Distinction: Democracy versus Republic

Burned again NYCarbineer. Aren't you getting tired of it yet?

Last edited:

Well, then it's not much of a point, given that it's not true. Of course, truth is something you haven't ever come in contact with.
Of course it's true. Your lack of reasoning skills, similar to Shakles' inability to reason, is self evidenced in your confirmation bias. The following is true: "The founders were republican in political philosophy, in that they did not trust the hordes of revisionist poorly educated right wingers in the states." The right wing Shay's Rebellion documents my point.

Last edited:

It sure as hell doesn't mean that "republic" is completely interchangeable with "democracy". And even if it did, you have no case, as these are two DIFFERENT concepts.

Pure democracy is mob rule, republic is a much more restricted with guaranteed rights for all, by the constitution. But please go on pretending...

Who guarantees the rights in a republic? Who decides that free speech will be a right?

Are you part of the mob or not?

Why can't a pure democracy protect rights?

Forum List

Back