The GOP's Genius Plan to Beat Obama in 2012

In 1800, when some states actually divvied up their electoral votes like this, Thomas Jefferson wrote to James Monroe with his thoughts about the relative fairness of vote-split plans:
All agree that an election by districts would be best, if it could be general, but while ten States choose either by their legislatures or by a general ticket, it is folly and worse than folly for the other six not to do it. In these ten States the minority is certainly unrepresented, and their majorities not only have the weight of their whole State in their scale, but have the benefit of so much of our minorities as can succeed at a district election. This is, in fact, ensuring to our minorities the appointment of the government.
Jefferson didn't hate the idea of assigning electoral votes by district. "To state it in another form," he wrote, "it is merely a question whether we will divide the United States into sixteen or one hundred and thirty-seven districts. The latter being more chequered, and representing the people in smaller sections, would be more likely to be an exact representation of their diversified sentiments." The problem: If every state didn't divide its votes this way, the system would be a mess, random and unfair. "Representation of a part by great, and part by small sections, would give a result very different from what would be the sentiment of the whole people of the United States, were they assembled together."

Blast from the past time.

Pennsylvania's Electoral College reform plan: dastardly, or just dumb? - By David Weigel - Slate Magazine

Still, which ever way it goes, It is a State Issue. Either All States conform to a Uniform Federal Format, or Each State get's to make it's own Rules. Your problem at this point is with the will of the People.

By Nick Baumann

If Pennsylvania Republicans and their buddies in other states execute a plan to change election rules, Obama has a one-way ticket to Losertown.

Republican state legislators in Pennsylvania are pushing a scheme that, if GOPers in other states follow their lead, could cause President Barack Obama to lose the 2012 election—not because of the vote count, but because of new rules. That's not all: There's no legal way for Democrats to stop them.

The problem for Obama, and the opportunity for Republicans, is the electoral college. Every political junkie knows that the presidential election isn't a truly national contest; it's a state-by-state fight, and each state is worth a number of electoral votes equal to the size of the state's congressional delegation. (The District of Columbia also gets three votes.) There are 538 electoral votes up for grabs; win 270, and you're the president.

Here's the rub, though: Each state gets to determine how its electoral votes are allocated. Currently, 48 states and DC use a winner-take-all system in which the candidate who wins the popular vote in the state gets all of its electoral votes. Under the Republican plan—which has been endorsed by top GOPers in both houses of the state Legislature, as well as the governor, Tom Corbett—Pennsylvania would change from this system to one where each congressional district gets its own electoral vote. (Two electoral votes—one for each of the state's two senators—would go to the statewide winner.)

More: The GOP's Genius Plan to Beat Obama in 2012 | Mother Jones

Holy shit, now changing the electoral college (a perfectly legal and moral thing to do) to POPULAR vote, as it should be, is a republican conspiracy!!! Were you not all hollering about the 2000 election when popular vote did not nominate Bush but he won anyway because the asinine electoral college. Now someone is talking about changing it to an actual vote of the people and your upset about it. BULLSHIT. How does that make it impossible for Obama to win? What is so wrong with the concept that even if you live in a state that is predominantly of one party and you are of the other you can still have your vote count?

My vote is pointless, I will vote for Obama no matter who I put down on the damn paper because I am ina democrat state. How is that right? Why is my vote meaningless? I cheer for a system like that. As a matter of fact, we should can the entire electoral college as its original purpose no longer stands. We should vote for the president directly, one person one vote. There is nothing wrong with that and no conservative conspiracy behind it. You, sir, are an asshole.

You guys just lost a seat that has been safely Democrat for 90 Years, By 11 points.

I don't think we even need a plan to Defeat Obama, his star has fallen.

We could run the " orange juice can," and the orange juice can would win.:lol:

I am still trying to find the one ONE jobs bill the republicans even attempted to pass.

ONE!
??

Im still trying to find out why there are people like you who think Government should do everything for you including wipe your @$$.

Here's the strategy

Are you better off now then you were 3 years ago?
yes, bush and Cheney are out of office.. everything else is cake.

So basically, you don't give a fuck if the nation is in a depression, if unemployment is through the roof, and if our credit rating is downgraded because spending is insane. All that matters to you is partisan politics.

Got it. Thanks for sharing. Now go die, you anti-American Obama-jock-sniffing dipshit.

Kerry won Ohio in 2004.
Right...The Bushies knew ahead of time exactly which voting machines that they and their minions from Diebold needed to manipulate. :rolleyes:

Don't the wackaloon conspiracy theories ever get a tad old?

a3897551-113-tinfoil_hat_antenna.jpg

Well, I know I never stop being entertained by them.

Rules mean nothing to the GOP. If they can't win fairly - change the rules. Right out of Karl Rove's playbook.
if Lincoln were alive today his size14's would be square in the ass the party.

why do u think Lincoln left the republican party?

Lincoln was killed by a democrat, he had no choice but to leave but when he left he took everything including his lasty breath. THANKS DNC.

Last edited:
there is going to be massive cheating on the right this time.

every time they get caught the media shys away from the story

There is going to be massive cheating on the Left this time.

Every time they get caught the Media Shields them and Government Agencies refuse to do their job.

This isnt fantasy hour.

Democrats are the ones with the rich histroy of voter fraud. A fact you can not refute.

Forum List

Back