The German POWs Who Lived, Worked, and Loved in Texas.

The Germans captured by Americans were shocked they weren't served steak every day. As for the problems in the aftermath, there was a massive famine going on, and getting Europe in recovery mode was tough going; same all over the world; it could have been a lot worse if we had been as callous and treated both Germany and Japan like they did their on captives and conquered countries. so much for the idiots whining about Evul Amerika n stuff. SAme with the sniveling about racism; if we were so awful there wouldn't be any 'minorities' around to cry and demand 'reparations', whihc most have already gotten anyway, they just let their pols piss them away and mismanaged them.

Ironic that German POW's apparently had more freedom than Japanese American citizens who were incarcerated behind barbed wire and armed watch towers under FDR's E.O. #9066

Stupid rubbish. The Japanese in the Midwest and east coast weren't bothered, and besides over a third of those interned weren't American citizens in the first place,

The German officers the Brit's caught were housed in an estate which was bugged from top to bottom. I guess the U.S. got the enlisted end of the stick.

There are a few towns in south central Texas where German is the main language among the families; they were settled by German colonists, and a bigger swathe of Texas, roughly along I-35 from around Waco down to east of Austin, where Czech was the main language; some of the local newspapers are still printed in Czech. One of my great uncles in Fredricksburg had German POWs working on his farm for a while. Texas had the largest Czech newspaper outside of Czechoslavakia at one time; don't know if it still does or not.
Some of those 1800's German immigrants in Texas served in the Civil War:

2021-08-07 19.02.19.jpg

Forum List

Back