The fleecing of the American working class - SSDI, SSI, SNAP run amok.

SmokeALib

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
I'm getting tired of working my ass off so others don't have to. Maybe it's time to quit and join up....

Wow, welcome to the party:

From 2013:

I'm getting tired of working my ass off so others don't have to. Maybe it's time to quit and join up....

Yep.

In my husband's extended family are two people on "extended disability" who are absolutely able to work. It's infuriating. Meanwhile, our daughter called with first professional paycheck in hand. 1/4 of it was taken by the government, of course. She was liberal in high school; she is a permanent conservative now.

People like to think that those programs are like super easy clubs to get in and there is some sort of welcome mat. Not true. There is a specific set of criteria that someone needs to meet and that criteria is designed to screen you out. If you are a single male then, it's going to be even more difficult. The "qualified aliens" that can apply is relatively new. At least to me as I have not seen it. That could be the increase.

One of the hardest things that I have tried to accomplish is to get several people with significant disabilities into SSI. That process takes over 2 years on average with adults. I was never successful with an adult. Ever. It was educational. When the pandemic came, any children applications came to a halt. No response from them. If you have someone that has a significant cognitive disability and/or mental illness, and no one is available to help navigate the system, then they don't get it. SSI will try to reject the claim about 3 times at a minimum. These people can't keep track of the paperwork.

If it's a physical disability then you need an updated medical evaluation that may include lab results, x rays, medication lists and medical records from everyone that you have had treatment from. Those records aren't free. If it stems from an accident or something then you have to get those records from the hospital. Also, not free. If it's mental then you need a psychological evaluation that was completed in the last year. That's about $2500.

Submit all your paperwork and then wait. Check on it. You will be contacted and told to go to an appointment at any number of doctors and/or psychologists that the Social Security Administration utilizes to be evaluated. Sometimes you get a little notice in the mail saying that you need to respond within 10 days from the date that was listed and it took 5 days to get to you. I would get a phone call from someone and then take a 3 hour trip to fill out the paperwork and then run back to the office and fax it so that I had a record of it being sent and it was done on time. I did that up until I was told I couldn't do that anymore but without a damn good reason why. Anyway. You can see the number of ways that people get jacked around.

I actually had a guy lie through his teeth on why he was on SSI and claim that it was for his back when it was actually for his intellectual disability or at the minimum included it. He would scream and yell at me for not helping him but if you aren't going to shoot straight with me then I can't.

Sometimes people don't know. I don't know if it's changed now but children with an intellectual disability were categorized as "special education" which could have been a number of things as well. Right? That is a nightmare to figure out if you are trying to back track to help someone and HIPAA or the individual graduated some 10-15+years ago. If you don't have anyone that can help navigate SSI then it's cut off at 18.

Forum List

Back