The End of Cable TV

I have had cable since the 1980's, nearly 40 years. It has been the backbone of my family's Entertainment. A few years ago I started streaming movies from Netflix and Prime. The picture quality, the sound, the reliability was far better than cable. So I though why do I still have this archaic technological. The cable box/dvr is 10 years old and it is the latest thing the cable company has to offer. There have been no real enhancements in 5 years. It is slow responding to commands, it freezers up every day or so, and customer service just tells me to unplug it, wait 10 secs and plug it in. After about 5 or 10 mins, it is up and running. Some times the problems are fixed and sometimes not. After several call to customer service and a talk with my neighbor who has the same problems, I decided I was done. I was going to cut the cord.

The first thing I learned in my journey away from cable was that are many entertainment options with the Internet unlike the choice of 4 package of channels offered by my cable company. I signed up with an Internet Provider for $20 for 3 mos then $40. I have prime and added Netflix for $15 a month. So for $55 a month I have more movies and series than I can watch in a life time. I was paying a $160 a month for cable.

In spite or all the streaming, I found I missed having TV channels and weekly shows. DirectTV and other providers offer TV channel streaming. You get a box like cable, a remote, and a choice of channels.. So I got a small package of channels. For me it is the best of all worlds, streaming movies and series and live TV channels. It is cheaper than cable, faster, and no problems. I believe cable will not last another decade. I expect cable companies will offer their packages of TV channels over the Internet like DirectTV and the cable will be used to connect customers to the Internet as most are doing now.
Good for you.

I buy Disney+ and HBO. Rarely watch either, mostly they are for my kids. <$30

3 lines on Boost Mobile : $120

500 Mbps Internet: $80

All this for less than most families' cell phone service alone.

Forum List

Back