The Electoral College is as outdated as the 2nd Amendment

After we have nationwide voter ID, boot 20 million illegal aliens, secure the border, stop all other forms of Dem vote fraud, end income tax withholding and hold all elections the day after taxes are due in one lump sum....
then we can discuss using the popular vote.

Even if we achieve all that, the Electoral College will remain the way the President is elected. Only a Constitutional amendment can change it.
Capt Obvious to the rescue :thup:

Presidents should be elected based on national popular votes - not electoral votes based on acreage and just rubber-stamped by partisans!

Popular vote - not acres!

electorl.gif

In each state, whichever party garners a majority of popular votes, regardless of how narrow the margin, wins all the electoral votes. By forcing residents in each state ultimately to vote as a block, the system is supposed to ensure that small states' interests are not drowned out by those of larger states.

U.S. Electoral Vote Map

Yo stupid fuck

Venezuela has neither a right to bear arms nor an EC

Hasta la Vista, dude.

So, thanks to the founders' lack of foresight - we're going to get fucked tomorrow!
BTW, ya left wing moon bat radical, the process worked as it was intended to work.

No, it doesn't.
Yeah....It did.
Now for the last time. Get this through your peyote fogged liberal skull.
The intended purpose for the use of an Elector system is so that each of the 50 states has a voice in deciding the leader of the country. Period.
You don't like it because this time it did not work to your side's advantage. So you screech "NO FAIR! We want it CHANGED!!!!"
Go stand in a corner and cry. Please do it quietly. Nobody wants to hear your complain and bellyache.

The Reason for the Electoral College

Q: Why does the U.S. have an Electoral College?

A: The framers of the Constitution didn’t trust direct democracy.

The reason that the Constitution calls for this extra layer, rather than just providing for the direct election of the president, is that most of the nation’s founders were actually rather afraid of democracy. James Madison worried about what he called “factions,” which he defined as groups of citizens who have a common interest in some proposal that would either violate the rights of other citizens or would harm the nation as a whole. Madison’s fear – which Alexis de Tocqueville later dubbed “the tyranny of the majority” – was that a faction could grow to encompass more than 50 percent of the population, at which point it could“sacrifice to its ruling passion or interest both the public good and the rights of other citizens.” Madison has a solution for tyranny of the majority: “A republic, by which I mean a government in which the scheme of representation takes place, opens a different prospect, and promises the cure for which we are seeking.”

As Alexander Hamilton writes in “The Federalist Papers,” the Constitution is designed to ensure “that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications.” The point of the Electoral College is to preserve “the sense of the people,” while at the same time ensuring that a president is chosen “by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice.”

In modern practice, the Electoral College is mostly a formality. Most electors are loyal members of the party that has selected them, and in 26 states, plus Washington, D.C., electors are bound by laws or party pledges to vote in accord with the popular vote. Although an elector could, in principle, change his or her vote (and a few actually have over the years), doing so is rare.

The Reason for the Electoral College - FactCheck.org

So, the framers of the Constitution didn't trust democracy. How nice. In reality, the Electoral College doesn't protect us from anything - since it is mostly a formality and most electors are loyal members of the party that selected them.

Presidents should be elected based on national popular votes - not electoral votes based on acreage and just rubber-stamped by partisans!

electorl.gif

In each state, whichever party garners a majority of popular votes, regardless of how narrow the margin, wins all the electoral votes. By forcing residents in each state ultimately to vote as a block, the system is supposed to ensure that small states' interests are not drowned out by those of larger states.

U.S. Electoral Vote Map
Lakhota, under a Trump tyranny, the 2nd amendment is more important than ever. If he decides to come for you, your best bet is to be armed.

I am.

This illustrates the astounding ignorance of your statement...
  • The purpose of the Electoral College is to prevent regional candidates from dominating national elections.

• Hillary’s margin of victory in [California] was 4.3 million votes – or 61.5%

• And therein lies the rub. The purpose of the Electoral College is to prevent regional candidates from dominating national elections.

• If you take California out of the total, Donald Trump won the popular vote by 1.4 million.

Want more evidence that Clinton was a “regional candidate?” Look at these numbers compiled by IBD:

Number of states won:

Trump: 30

Clinton: 20

Trump: +10

Number of electoral votes won:

Trump: 306

Clinton: 232

Trump: + 68

Ave. margin of victory in winning states:

Trump: 56%

Clinton: 53.5%

Trump: + 2.5 points

Popular vote total outside California:

Trump: 58,474,401

Clinton: 57,064,530

Trump: + 1.4 million

Hillary's Popular Vote Win Came ENTIRELY From Just One State

The reason that the Constitution calls for this extra layer, rather than just providing for the direct election of the president, is that most of the nation’s founders were actually rather afraid of democracy. James Madison worried about what he called “factions,” which he defined as groups of citizens who have a common interest in some proposal that would either violate the rights of other citizens or would harm the nation as a whole. Madison’s fear – which Alexis de Tocqueville later dubbed “the tyranny of the majority” – was that a faction could grow to encompass more than 50 percent of the population, at which point it could“sacrifice to its ruling passion or interest both the public good and the rights of other citizens.” Madison has a solution for tyranny of the majority: “A republic, by which I mean a government in which the scheme of representation takes place, opens a different prospect, and promises the cure for which we are seeking.”

As Alexander Hamilton writes in “The Federalist Papers,” the Constitution is designed to ensure “that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications.” The point of the Electoral College is to preserve “the sense of the people,” while at the same time ensuring that a president is chosen “by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice.”

In modern practice, the Electoral College is mostly a formality. Most electors are loyal members of the party that has selected them, and in 26 states, plus Washington, D.C., electors are bound by laws or party pledges to vote in accord with the popular vote. Although an elector could, in principle, change his or her vote (and a few actually have over the years), doing so is rare.

So, the framers of the Constitution didn't trust democracy. How nice. In reality, the Electoral College doesn't protect us from anything - since it is mostly a formality and most electors are loyal members of the party that selected them.

We need to repeal the so-called 17th "Amendment"

The senators should be elected by the individual states.

Lakhota, under a Trump tyranny, the 2nd amendment is more important than ever. If he decides to come for you, your best bet is to be armed.

I am.
Folks....this is astounding, repulsive progressive hypocrisy. The little girl who rails against the 2nd Amendment 24x7 claims she is "armed".

I am a guy who has been a hunter and gun enthusiast my entire life. I cherish my guns - but the 2nd Amendment is obsolete. So is the NRA gun nutter mentality.

How NRA’s true believers converted a marksmanship group into a mighty gun lobby

Lakhota "logic" - laws against rape are like, oh my Gawd, so outdated! It's time to move past that antiquated ideal and make it legal to rape women. :eusa_doh:

I am.
Folks....this is astounding, repulsive progressive hypocrisy. The little girl who rails against the 2nd Amendment 24x7 claims she is "armed".

I am a guy who has been a hunter and gun enthusiast my entire life. I cherish my guns - but the 2nd Amendment is obsolete. So is the NRA gun nutter mentality.
Wow...way to double-down, stupid. If the 2nd Amendment is "obsolete" then why haven't you surrendered your firearms and had them destroyed?

And here is the PoS ToS once again advocating violence against Donald Trump and the federal government. I really hope the Secret Service brings this nutjob in before he kills someone.

I am.

Wow...way to double-down, stupid. If the 2nd Amendment is "obsolete" then why haven't you surrendered your firearms and had them destroyed?

Because the 2nd Amendment allows me not to - even though I'm not in a militia.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Is the Second Amendment obsolete?

Last edited:

The electoral college provided by the founders guarantees us a 100% United States when electing a president. What the hell did your Indian founders guarantee your people?

Wrong! The electoral college guarantees us a 100% United States when electing a president.

EXACTLY..

Otherwise , NY and California, the most leftist states , will be the ones electing a president.

Forum List

Back