The electoral college is a disaster for democracy

We are a constitutional republic that elects representatives. An extent of that republicanism is that our EC elects the presidents. An amendment would have to change the process, and neither party wants such, despite what certain members of those parties may say.
Neither party wants it so far. We lost the election in 2000 because of the EC. The Democrats need to push for abolition of the EC. I predict Trump will be a one term president and that in 2020 the presidency, the House and the Congress will go to the Democrats, and then we can get rid of the EC, as we should have done 40 or more years ago.
But, of course, if Trump had won the popular vote, and lost the EC vote, then all would have been fine as wine - right?
I have believed and stated so on countless occasions that I think the EC should be abolished. It is not something new with me.
America rejected mob rule at its founding.....

The left everyone. They have no clue. They just whine and cry and have no clue really about anything. If you want peace, you will not get it from me. You can all go fuck yourselves. Your fucking tears are delicious.

Take your mobocracy and cram it far and deep inside your pathetic spoiled American hating asses.

Said Donald Trump in 2012.

I betcha he wishes he could take that one back.
I have to agree that it is a disaster, And even though this time it worked out for the good of the country, I will not take back my opinion that it has to go.
The thing is that when I brought this up in the past, the liberals were quick to point out that without the EC, the small less populated states could be controlled by the larger more populated states, Which still makes no sense to me. If EC votes are supposed to make it so the majority cannot dictate to the minority, then why would the number of EC votes be based on the number of citizens, with each vote covering X number of citizens opinions.

The left everyone. They have no clue. They just whine and cry and have no clue really about anything. If you want peace, you will not get it from me. You can all go fuck yourselves. Your fucking tears are delicious.

Take your mobocracy and cram it far and deep inside your pathetic spoiled American hating asses.
Why are you being so nice to them?

I have to agree that it is a disaster, And even though this time it worked out for the good of the country, I will not take back my opinion that it has to go.
The thing is that when I brought this up in the past, the liberals were quick to point out that without the EC, the small less populated states could be controlled by the larger more populated states, Which still makes no sense to me. If EC votes are supposed to make it so the majority cannot dictate to the minority, then why would the number of EC votes be based on the number of citizens, with each vote covering X number of citizens opinions.
Do you know what mobocracy means? Most of the country's population is concentrated in cities. In order to prevent MOB RULE and giving voice to those OUTSIDE of those concentrated areas, the EC is there.

Understand what would happen if we gave way to mob rule.

Last edited:
SUDDENLY 'The electoral college is a disaster for democracy' because Hillary won the Popular but not electoral...

:p
And you would be saying the same if the situation were reversed. Don't be a hypocrite. And it isn't a sudden belief for me. I have believed this for 40 years.
Actually I wouldn't. In life there are winners and losets, and I've learned 1) you can't win 'em all, & 2) when you don't win you don't sit around whining and complaining about it.

SUDDENLY 'The electoral college is a disaster for democracy' because Hillary won the Popular but not electoral...

And you would be saying the same if the situation were reversed. Don't be a hypocrite. And it isn't a sudden belief for me. I have believed this for 40 years.
Actually I wouldn't. In life there are winners and losets, and I've learned 1) you can't win 'em all, & 2) when you don't win you don't sit around whining and complaining about it.
But she did win. You just won't acknowledge it. More people voted for her than for Trump. The Electoral College is antiquated and just plain wrong for a modern democracy.

The Troubling Reason the Electoral College Exists

But she did win. You just won't acknowledge it. More people voted for her than for Trump. The Electoral College is antiquated and just plain wrong for a modern democracy.
Our founders rejected your mob rule at the country's founding....

Our founders rejected your mob rule at the country's founding....
They were white people who owned slaves, so they don't count.

I mean Natives owned slaves and Africans owned the slaves they traded to America, but since they were not whites, they are perfectly free to have done that.

But she did win. You just won't acknowledge it.
Thank you for demonstrating how liberals are devoid of reality.

Funny, liberals were demanding Republicans accept the outcome of the election....but after Hillary loses...well, we have people like you.

Hillary has been REJECTED by the American people for a 2nd and FINAL time.

Have fun the next 4 years supporting 'President' Hillary, especially after she goes to jail as 'promised'. :p

View attachment 97773

Yeah because mob rule works so well... Like it did recently in Portland, Oakland, Baltimore, Ferguson, Dallas, Baton Rouge, and the list goes on...

*****SMILE*****

:)
Again, such stupidity. No wonder you voted for a stupid man to be president. Protesting is not mob rule. What an idiot.

images

Then you should have no problem with DOMA being the rule of the land in California and other places since you desire to go by the rule of the majority.

*****SMILE*****

Do you know what mobocracy means? Most of the country's population is concentrated in cities. In order to prevent MOB RULE and giving voice to those OUTSIDE of those concentrated areas, the EC is there.

Once in a while you oughta read through your own post before it goes up to see if it actually makes sense.

Cities don't have electoral votes. STATES do.

In this case -- for example -- Clinton got more votes in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, the cities, while Rump got more votes in the "Alabama in the middle" rest of the state. And yet --- only the latter were counted.

The EC is designed to imagine that the states --- not the people --- elect the President.
That means your states vote matters, but your individual one..... doesn't .

Think about it.

So you've been wrong all that time. The whole point of having a republic is to mitigate the tyranny of a small majority.

I have too. It's indefensible.

It may have been kinda-sorta defensible when slavery -- the whole reason for its existence in the first place -- actually meant that without it the North (all dem blue states the other day) would have dominated over the South (all dem red states the other day) since slaves by definition could not vote. As your link notes:

>> If the system’s pro-slavery tilt was not overwhelmingly obvious when the Constitution was ratified, it quickly became so. For 32 of the Constitution’s first 36 years, a white slaveholding Virginian occupied the presidency.

Southerner Thomas Jefferson, for example, won the election of 1800-01 against Northerner John Adams in a race where the slavery-skew of the electoral college was the decisive margin of victory: without the extra electoral college votes generated by slavery, the mostly southern states that supported Jefferson would not have sufficed to give him a majority. As pointed observers remarked at the time, Thomas Jefferson metaphorically rode into the executive mansion on the backs of slaves. <<
So when we think of the EC we should also think "three-fifths of a person". Because that, the infamous Three-Fifths Compromise, was part of the same structure to attempt to balance the competing factions of North and South, where the latter was allowed to count its slaves as three-fifths people for the purpose of counting population ---- but of course that three-fifths had no vote and the whites voted FOR them, which was called Slave Power. That is the added power the South was alloted owing to its use of slaves.

This was a shaky band-aid slapped on the continuous tension of the slavery question until the Civil War ended it and forced the country to start over from a position far worse than when it started.

That's what the Electoral College should remind us of and should be mentioned every time the EC is. And that's how we get rid of it.

America rejected mob rule at its founding.....

Cool story bruh. But as just laid out -- what America rejected at its founding was its own precept that "all men are created equal". Which also excluded women.

And it wasn't "at its founding"; it was the 12th Amendment.

Last edited:
If we didn't have the EC, Trump would have simply used a different strategy and would still have won. Get over it, libs, Hillary lost. Deal with it. :lol:

This has nothing to do with this week's election -- as post 27 noted, a lot of us have been saying the EC needs to go for years.

Although it does have to do with Rump. You see Skippy .... that's what he tweeted four years ago on a different election night. And guess what --- he was right.

Are you calling His Rumpitude WRONG? There are penalties coming for that yanno. Starting with waterboarding just for fun.
Go back and read my post again, only slower so you don't miss anything, loser.

Already did. And already addressed it. Yesterday.

Catch up when you can.

Are we playing the game where we bring up what people said in the past? Hillary was against gay marriage, for border control, and she called the inner city thugs super predators. Or are we just going to pick on one person?

Doesn't matter.

I never supported Hillary Clinton.

Actually that has no relevance.

The popular vote does not discriminate on whether you are living in an urban area or a rural area. On the contrary, it does actually steal representation away from those living in populous states. In this election, there were tens of millions that had no voice at all.

Actually that has no relevance.

The popular vote does not discriminate on whether you are living in an urban area or a rural area. On the contrary, it does actually steal representation away from those living in populous states. In this election, there were tens of millions that had no voice at all.

upload_2016-11-10_15-28-57.jpeg

So what you're really saying is that the EC Electoral College should be a good thing because it should encourage those voiceless millions to move into rural areas where they'll have more of a voice and living space.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Forum List

Back