The election that ruined the 20th century

TR was quite a Progressive. And he would have gotten us into WW I same as Wilson, maybe quicker.

1912. If TR had gotten the GOP nomination in 1912 we would have I believe a better 20th century, no Nazis or communists. Problems and issues sure, but nothing like we are facing today.

I think Teddy would have gotten us into WWI earlier

TR was quite a Progressive. And he would have gotten us into WW I same as Wilson, maybe quicker.
Yes he was but he was not like Wilson. True we would have gotten into WWI quicker but the long term results would have been better.

I think Teddy would have gotten us into WWI earlier
More than likely but getting in earlier we would have avoided a number of later problems as listed in the video. The war itself was avoidable but as we have seen events determined otherwise.

It is sheer speculation as to what might have ensued if Wilson had not been elected in 1912 (blame that on T.R.), but there is no doubt that his pretentious meddling during and after WW1 directly contributed to the rise of Hitler and WW2. FDR then added to this dubious legacy by giving Eastern Europe to the USSR for the next 50 years.

The best that can be said for either of them is that war is good for (U.S.) business.

Here we are arguing over a politician who was a war hero at least in the Spanish American war and may or may not have been willing to risk American lives in saving France from the Hun. On the other hand we ended up with a hypocrite Princeton professor who promised Americans that he would never send Americans to fight in a foreign war. Personally I think T.R. would have been the better president.

1912. If TR had gotten the GOP nomination in 1912 we would have I believe a better 20th century, no Nazis or communists. Problems and issues sure, but nothing like we are facing today.

I doubt it, Communism and Fascism were something world has to go through. If you don't see how it works, they can't decide whether it's bad or not.

Here we are arguing over a politician who was a war hero at least in the Spanish American war and may or may not have been willing to risk American lives in saving France from the Hun. On the other hand we ended up with a hypocrite Princeton professor who promised Americans that he would never send Americans to fight in a foreign war. Personally I think T.R. would have been the better president.
That is for sure.

I doubt it, Communism and Fascism were something world has to go through. If you don't see how it works, they can't decide whether it's bad or not.
Hindsight is 20/20 for sure that being said the world would have been better off without the evils of fascism and communism. What would have happened with Japan if TR had been President again is hard to figure, probably still would have invaded China in the 1930's but minus Lenin, Stalin, Hitler etc in Europe who knows.

Hindsight is 20/20 for sure that being said the world would have been better off without the evils of fascism and communism. What would have happened with Japan if TR had been President again is hard to figure, probably still would have invaded China in the 1930's but minus Lenin, Stalin, Hitler etc in Europe who knows.

But what happened in Russia was, not inevitable, but something was going to happen. Russia was unstable, the monarch had little control over a poor country that was in such close contact with Europe that the people knew of what was happening. Russia was always going to have to industrialize in order to survive, and through industralizing it was increasing the number of people in the cities, who were learning about things like Communism.

Lenin himself wasn't "worker", he hated workers, but he had access to ideas that were swirling around Europe.
Even in Germany that had Communism, but that was quashed, probably because Germany and the UK and France were stronger, but not even Germany could fight to tide of extremism (because of their electoral system, they had Proportional Representation without any limits, which caused the Bundestag to be full of political parties, now you need to get 5% of the vote in order to get a seat.).

I think Communism was inevitable somewhere in Europe... Same with Fascism. I mean, Fascism happened in Italy, Spain, Germany....

T.R. was a tough dude but he died in 1919. His expedition to the Amazon jungle in Brazil took a lot out of him. Wilson outlived him dying in 1924 but was a virtual corpse after he suffered a stroke in 1919.

Forum List

Back