The dreaded gay-wedding-cake saga ends: bakers must pay 135 K

When will a muslim baker be fined for refusing to make a gay cake, or a Christian cake, or a rebel flag cake?

the double standard from the left is just pathetic, and very dangerous to this country.
More stupidity. The problem is not what is on the cake; the problem is denying service to a gay person

BS, a gay person can buy any kind of cake he/she wants. But the baker should not be forced to put his product on display at a gay wedding if that violates his religious or personal beliefs.
As if on cue – an example of the willful ignorance of the law common to most on the right.

Listen dipshit, we understand what the SC ruling means. That makes it law, but it does not make it right.

the next SC could reverse this ruling. enjoy while you can.
Not a chance in hell. Only your kind thinks civil rights go backwards...

When will a muslim baker be fined for refusing to make a gay cake, or a Christian cake, or a rebel flag cake?

the double standard from the left is just pathetic, and very dangerous to this country.
More stupidity. The problem is not what is on the cake; the problem is denying service to a gay person

BS, a gay person can buy any kind of cake he/she wants. But the baker should not be forced to put his product on display at a gay wedding if that violates his religious or personal beliefs.

Surely you sell a cake, after that a person can do with it what they like.

of course, then why ask the baker to put the two men or two women on the cake? why not just buy a plain cake and put your own people on it?

this whole thing was a setup, and you know it.

As if on cue – an example of the willful ignorance of the law common to most on the right.
Not ignorance of law, just pointing out the flaws

Listen dipshit, we understand what the SC ruling means. That makes it law, but it does not make it right.

No, it doesn't make it right. It is right.

No SC will reverse this.

that is your opinion

we will see what a future SC does with this violation of states rights.

No, it doesn't make it right. It is right.

No SC will reverse this.

that is your opinion

we will see what a future SC does with this violation of states rights.
It was nothing of the kind...

Sweet Cakes bakery must pay $135,000 to lesbian couple
Final order Sweet Cakes bakery must pay 135 000 to lesbian couple Local Regional KATU.com - Portland News Sports Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland Oregon

"They've been ordered to pay $135,000 to make up for the emotional damage they caused by telling this couple no."

The Kleins can appeal the ruling. They've already closed their store and now work out of their home by order only, meaning they're no longer a "public accommodation."

The absurd way this order describes the emotional damage done to this couple.
wow 135k

just one question: why didn't the gay couple buy their cake from a gay baker or a baker who approved of gay marriage?

This whole episode in just another example of in-your-face liberal bullshit. "If you don't believe what we believe then we will destroy you".

You fricken libs are so full of rightous shit. you claim you want tolerance but are totally intolerant of anyone who does not share your view of the world. YOU ARE HYPOCRITES OF THE HIGHEST DEGREE.

And why didn't the black person go and buy their cake from a black baker who approves of black people?

Should everyone have to walk into a bakery and ask if the person working there approves of all of the things they are?

"Er... hi, I'm straight, I'm male, I'm into sycronised swimming, I like to eat meat, I love wearing tutus on the weekend, I read books before going to be, I work in a minimum wage job, I vote Republican, I have a pet cat, I did some coke when I was in college (not sure if it was Coca-Cola or white powered coke), sometimes I drink alcohol, I fart occasionally in lifts, I love watching friends on TV, my three brothers are all mass murderers in federal prisons, one awaiting execution because he had the audacity to kill a white man, I served in the military, I don't own guns, I think Obama's okay. Can I buy a cake from you?"

Surely you sell a cake, after that a person can do with it what they like.

of course, then why ask the baker to put the two men or two women on the cake? why not just buy a plain cake and put your own people on it?

this whole thing was a setup, and you know it.
Entirely untrue. It was not Sweet Right-wing Christian Cakes by Melissa. Read up on the case. No cakes for faggot weddings was their stance, not the cake topper.

just one question: why didn't the gay couple buy their cake from a gay baker or a baker who approved of gay marriage?

This whole episode in just another example of in-your-face liberal bullshit. "If you don't believe what we believe then we will destroy you".

You fricken libs are so full of rightous shit. you claim you want tolerance but are totally intolerant of anyone who does not share your view of the world. YOU ARE HYPOCRITES OF THE HIGHEST DEGREE.

And why didn't the black person go and buy their cake from a black baker who approves of black people?

Should everyone have to walk into a bakery and ask if the person working there approves of all of the things they are?

"Er... hi, I'm straight, I'm male, I'm into sycronised swimming, I like to eat meat, I love wearing tutus on the weekend, I read books before going to be, I work in a minimum wage job, I vote Republican, I have a pet cat, I did some coke when I was in college (not sure if it was Coca-Cola or white powered coke), sometimes I drink alcohol, I fart occasionally in lifts, I love watching friends on TV, my three brothers are all mass murderers in federal prisons, one awaiting execution because he had the audacity to kill a white man, I served in the military, I don't own guns, I think Obama's okay. Can I buy a cake from you?"
It's not a sin to be Black

funny, but foolish.

but how about this one: go into a muslim bakery and ask for a gay wedding cake with bacon trimming.

then sue them for cutting off your head.

sweetcakes.jpg

Batshittians 3:42: "Because it was destiny that sweet cakes, Jeebus and 'ghey' would all belong within the same sentence one day in the land of Or, for the holy Spaghetti Monster foresaw it all with his longest noodle."​

Sweet Cakes final order Gresham bakery must pay 135 000 for denying service to same-sex couple OregonLive.com

Oregon Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian on Thursday ordered the owners of a former Gresham bakery to pay $135,000 in damages to a lesbian couple for refusing to make them a wedding cake.

Avakian's ruling upheld a preliminary finding earlier this year that the owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa had discriminated against the women on the basis of their sexual orientation.

Bakery owners Melissa and Aaron Klein cited their Christian beliefs against same-sex marriage in denying service. The case ignited a long-running skirmish in the nation's culture wars, pitting civil rights advocates against religious freedom proponents who argued business owners should have the right to refuse services for gay and lesbian weddings.

Avakian's final order makes clear that serving potential customers equally trumps the Kleins' religious beliefs. Under Oregon law, businesses cannot discriminate or refuse service based on sexual orientation, just as they cannot turn customers away because of race, sex, disability, age or religion, the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries said in a news release.

"This case is not about a wedding cake or a marriage," Avakian wrote. "It is about a business's refusal to serve someone because of their sexual orientation. Under Oregon law, that is illegal.

"Within Oregon's public accommodations law is the basic principle of human decency that every person, regardless of their sexual orientation, has the freedom to fully participate in society. The ability to enter public places, to shop, to dine, to move about unfettered by bigotry."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, when do the cries of evil, evil, evil ZOG persecution begin?
And when will this all be Obama's fault?
And when does the GoFundMe account go up?
Anyone know how much delicious icing 135 K can buy?

No mudslinging, folks! But you may throw delicious icing. :D
If it's so "dreaded" why are you posting about it?
It isn't, that's the point.

It's a manifestation of the willful ignorance of the law where most on the right have contrived and seek to propagate the lie that this represents some sort of 'injustice,' the lie that these individuals are being 'punished for their faith,' and the lie that their religious liberty is somehow being 'violated' – again, all ridiculous lies intended to advance an agenda hostile to gay Americans.

Because the idiotic notion that Americans should be compelled to participate in the local marketplace mindful of businesses hostile to who they are – thus avoiding those businesses – is harmful to the local market, all other interrelated markets, and is detrimental to commerce, where government is at liberty to regulate the local market to prevent such an occurrence.

What's sad and telling is that you and others on the right actually want to live in this type of America, an America where citizens must say “we aren't allowed in this store, the owner is hostile to who we are'; that's not who we are as a people, we are better than that.

Final order Sweet Cakes bakery must pay 135 000 to lesbian couple Local Regional KATU.com - Portland News Sports Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland Oregon

"They've been ordered to pay $135,000 to make up for the emotional damage they caused by telling this couple no."

The Kleins can appeal the ruling. They've already closed their store and now work out of their home by order only, meaning they're no longer a "public accommodation."

They broke the laws of their state.

I find it amusing that the same wingnuts who want to send people of color to prison for the rest of their lives for stealing slices of pizza or tube socks are horrified that the law is being used to punish bigots when they break it.
now this is true, they broke the law and love this
"I find it amusing that the same wingnuts who want to send people of color to prison for the rest of their lives for stealing slices of pizza or tube socks are horrified that the law is being used to punish bigots when they break it":50:

sweetcakes.jpg

Batshittians 3:42: "Because it was destiny that sweet cakes, Jeebus and 'ghey' would all belong within the same sentence one day in the land of Or, for the holy Spaghetti Monster foresaw it all with his longest noodle."​

Sweet Cakes final order Gresham bakery must pay 135 000 for denying service to same-sex couple OregonLive.com

Oregon Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian on Thursday ordered the owners of a former Gresham bakery to pay $135,000 in damages to a lesbian couple for refusing to make them a wedding cake.

Avakian's ruling upheld a preliminary finding earlier this year that the owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa had discriminated against the women on the basis of their sexual orientation.

Bakery owners Melissa and Aaron Klein cited their Christian beliefs against same-sex marriage in denying service. The case ignited a long-running skirmish in the nation's culture wars, pitting civil rights advocates against religious freedom proponents who argued business owners should have the right to refuse services for gay and lesbian weddings.

Avakian's final order makes clear that serving potential customers equally trumps the Kleins' religious beliefs. Under Oregon law, businesses cannot discriminate or refuse service based on sexual orientation, just as they cannot turn customers away because of race, sex, disability, age or religion, the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries said in a news release.

"This case is not about a wedding cake or a marriage," Avakian wrote. "It is about a business's refusal to serve someone because of their sexual orientation. Under Oregon law, that is illegal.

"Within Oregon's public accommodations law is the basic principle of human decency that every person, regardless of their sexual orientation, has the freedom to fully participate in society. The ability to enter public places, to shop, to dine, to move about unfettered by bigotry."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a manifestation of the willful ignorance of the law where most on the right have contrived and seek to propagate the lie that this represents some sort of 'injustice,' the lie that these individuals are being 'punished for their faith,' and the lie that their religious liberty is somehow being 'violated' – again, all ridiculous lies intended to advance an agenda hostile to gay Americans.

Because the idiotic notion that Americans should be compelled to participate in the local marketplace mindful of businesses hostile to who they are – thus avoiding those businesses – is harmful to the local market, all other interrelated markets, and is detrimental to commerce, where government is at liberty to regulate the local market to prevent such an occurrence.

What's sad and telling is that you and others on the right actually want to live in this type of America, an America where citizens must say “we aren't allowed in this store, the owner is hostile to who we are'; that's not who we are as a people, we are better than that.

are you really that stupid? no wants to be able to tell people "you aren't allowed in my store". But businesses and consumers should be free to decide who they do business with. For example, I will not shop at Walmart because they destroy local small businesses. Now, my alternative would be to go to Walmart and then sue them for charging prices lower than local small businesses can compete with.

Freedom applies in both directions.

The anti gay marriage baker should have said. "I would prefer not to make your cake because gay marriage is against my religious and personal beliefs, but baker John down the street will do a great cake for you". and the gay couple should have said "we respect your beliefs and thanks for recommending baker John".

If that gay couple had any decency and common sense, they would have said: "We respect your views" and would have gone to a baker who would have been only too willing and happy to accommodate them.

If those who cheer the the Supreme Court's decision had any decency and common sense, they would not cheer the decision of the Supreme Court.

If the Supreme Court had any decency and common sense they would not have ruled as they did.
so just asking, anyone who may be cheering the "Supreme Court's decision dont have "decency and common sense'
That’s a extremely large statement about other you may not know.

sweetcakes.jpg

are you really that stupid? no wants to be able to tell people "you aren't allowed in my store". But businesses and consumers should be free to decide who they do business with. For example, I will not shop at Walmart because they destroy local small businesses. Now, my alternative would be to go to Walmart and then sue them for charging prices lower than local small businesses can compete with.

The anti gay marriage baker should have said. "I would prefer not to make your cake because gay marriage is against my religious and personal beliefs, but baker John down the street will do a great cake for you". and the gay couple should have said "we respect your beliefs and thanks for recommending baker John".
Sorry, we don't sell gas to ******* but the guy three miles from here does. Yeah, been there, rejected that idea...

sweetcakes.jpg

Personally I have no problem with a gay business if they only want to serve gays. Of course, I have common sense

funny, but foolish.

but how about this one: go into a muslim bakery and ask for a gay wedding cake with bacon trimming.

then sue them for cutting off your head.
Are you truly this ignorant and ridiculous to believe that a 'Muslim bakery' is actually going to sell as a normal course of business something with bacon.

And this is yet another example of your ignorance and stupidity.

Public accommodations laws concern solely what a business does as part of its normal course of doing business.

Sorry, we don't sell gas to ******* but the guy three miles from here does. Yeah, been there, rejected that idea...
Not the same, buying gas is not a religious ceremony. Don't be silly, everyone knows this is well worked publicity scheme and most businesses don'r care of you are gay or not

sweetcakes.jpg

Personally I have no problem with a gay business if they only want to serve gays. Of course, I have common sense
That's nothing like common sense. Common sense is I make a living making cakes, and making cakes is not serving God so, here's your cake.

Not the same, buying gas is not a religious ceremony. Don't be silly, everyone knows this is well worked publicity scheme and most businesses don'r care of you are gay or not
Marriage isn't a religious ceremony either, and even if it were it's none of your fucking business. You make cakes, so, make cakes.

Forum List

Back