The debates

Surprising that this major conflict in the world has so few debates.

Only it isn't a major conflict.

There's currently more than thirty armed conflicts in world today and the I/P Conflict rated consistently among the lowest in terms of both ongoing casualties and property loss.

However, it rates highest in terms of discussion and debate, as the content of this board attests. There are an order of magnitude more comments on this conflict compared to any other current armed conflict.

Given both those facts, one has to seriously consider the motivations or someone who is neither Israeli or Palestinian but is nonetheless obsessed with the conflict.

I seriously doubt those motivations are in the interest of a peaceful resolution to the conflict.
What other conflict is a hundred years old and there is no real interest in solving it?

There has been a civil war raging in the Congo for decades. Ppl there cut out each others' hearts and eat them. I remember once you said that the Palestinian "occupation" is the only one in the world, when there are Tibet, Northern Cyprus, Chechnya, Catalonia, Kurdistan, etc. In general, ppl are obsessed with the Jews.

This nonsense is one of the central pillars of Hasbara, yet all one need do is examine briefly the conditions and proposed 'occupation' parallels of any of these inapplicable examples to look for comparisons to Israel's criminal occupation: So far as I'm aware none of these examples entail shelling captive civilians and targeting children, or using illegal settlements to artificially depopulate one side...this illiterate fool even references a "civil-war in the Congo"...the prevailing idea seems to be that Jews cannot be culpable for their crimes because they are Jewish...a far better question might be: why shouldn't we focus on the Israeli occupation to the extent that it is central to an area of critical religious, political and cultural importance?

There's currently more than thirty armed conflicts in world today and the I/P Conflict rated consistently among the lowest in terms of both ongoing casualties and property loss.

However, it rates highest in terms of discussion and debate, as the content of this board attests. There are an order of magnitude more comments on this conflict compared to any other current armed conflict.

Given both those facts, one has to seriously consider the motivations or someone who is neither Israeli or Palestinian but is nonetheless obsessed with the conflict.

I seriously doubt those motivations are in the interest of a peaceful resolution to the conflict.
What other conflict is a hundred years old and there is no real interest in solving it?

There has been a civil war raging in the Congo for decades. Ppl there cut out each others' hearts and eat them. I remember once you said that the Palestinian "occupation" is the only one in the world, when there are Tibet, Northern Cyprus, Chechnya, Catalonia, Kurdistan, etc. In general, ppl are obsessed with the Jews.

This nonsense is one of the central pillars of Hasbara, yet all one need do is examine briefly the conditions and proposed 'occupation' parallels of any of these inapplicable examples to look for comparisons to Israel's criminal occupation: So far as I'm aware none of these examples entail shelling captive civilians and targeting children, or using illegal settlements to artificially depopulate one side...this illiterate fool even references a "civil-war in the Congo"...the prevailing idea seems to be that Jews cannot be culpable for their crimes because they are Jewish...a far better question might be: why shouldn't we focus on the Israeli occupation to the extent that it is central to an area of critical religious, political and cultural importance?

Why am I an illiterate fool for referencing a civil war in the Congo? Tinmore asked what are other trouble spots in the world, and I answered. (It's true that he asked about "hundred year old trouble spots", and the civil war in the Congo isn't exactly that old. But it's still a trouble spot.)

Last edited:
Please discuss the topic which appears to be about debates but it is a bit fuzzy. P F Tinmore can you elaborate on what sort of discussion you expect?

RE The debates
※→ ForeverYoung436, Ventura77, fncceo, P F Tinmore, et al,

ForeverYoung436 is not off the mark. Recently (January 5, 2017) the Foreign Policy Journal published the
Feature: 10 Conflicts to Watch in 2017; and remarks on each. The "Congo" is #5 to watch. BUT, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is not mentioned among them.

You have to go to the: List of ongoing armed conflicts to see the comparison in magnitude (#13). Or, as an alternative, the MAJOR EPISODES OF POLITICAL VIOLENCE, 1946-2016 data (last updated on June 15, 2017) to see a different viewpoint. What is unusual is that the Israel-Palestinian War is listed twice in terms of political violence; the many face concept (the conflict that started in 1948 / the conflict that started in 1965). But that is a view that this multifaceted in its formation. While we have, on occasion, bumped into this aspect, most of the discussion group considers it all one dispute.

Why am I an illiterate fool for referencing a civil war in the Congo? Tinmore asked what are other trouble spots in the world, and I answered. (It's true that he asked about "hundred year old trouble spots", and the civil war in the Congo isn't exactly that old. But it's sitll a trouble spot.)
(COMMENT)

1. Syria & Iraq
2. Turkey
3. Yemen
4. Greater Sahel and Lake Chad Basin
5. Democratic Republic of Congo
6. South Sudan
7. Afghanistan
8. Myanmar
9. Ukraine
10. Mexico​

Obviously, #10. Mexico is probably the one of the most immediate concern to Americans; in that it is our southern neighbor.

Most Respectfully,
R

Please discuss the topic which appears to be about debates but it is a bit fuzzy. P F Tinmore can you elaborate on what sort of discussion you expect?
Good question. I think of the board as a place of information and discussing that information.

Debates and panel discussions bring issues to light that go beyond the soundbite world.

Achieving a Just Peace in Israel/Palestine

A debate between Peter Beinart and Yousef Munayyer

RE The debates

ForeverYoung436 is not off the mark. Recently (January 5, 2017) the Foreign Policy Journal published the
Feature: 10 Conflicts to Watch in 2017; and remarks on each. The "Congo" is #5 to watch. BUT, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is not mentioned among them.

You have to go to the: List of ongoing armed conflicts to see the comparison in magnitude (#13). Or, as an alternative, the MAJOR EPISODES OF POLITICAL VIOLENCE, 1946-2016 data (last updated on June 15, 2017) to see a different viewpoint. What is unusual is that the Israel-Palestinian War is listed twice in terms of political violence; the many face concept (the conflict that started in 1948 / the conflict that started in 1965). But that is a view that this multifaceted in its formation. While we have, on occasion, bumped into this aspect, most of the discussion group considers it all one dispute.

Why am I an illiterate fool for referencing a civil war in the Congo? Tinmore asked what are other trouble spots in the world, and I answered. (It's true that he asked about "hundred year old trouble spots", and the civil war in the Congo isn't exactly that old. But it's sitll a trouble spot.)
(COMMENT)

1. Syria & Iraq
2. Turkey
3. Yemen
6. South Sudan
7. Afghanistan
8. Myanmar
9. Ukraine
10. Mexico​

Obviously, #10. Mexico is probably the one of the most immediate concern to Americans; in that it is our southern neighbor.

Most Respectfully,
R

Actually, I haven't heard of an armed conflict in Mexico. Being that it's so close to us, I think i would've heard about it. Are you talking about the drug trade there?

RE The debates

(COMMENT)

1. Syria & Iraq
2. Turkey
3. Yemen
6. South Sudan
7. Afghanistan
8. Myanmar
9. Ukraine
10. Mexico​

Most Respectfully,
R

Actually, I haven't heard of an armed conflict in Mexico. Being that it's so close to us, I think i would've heard about it. Are you talking about the drug trade there?

No, no 'armed conflict' at all in Mexico...only a mere 20,000 dead last year...LOL Your ignorance is astonishing... an ideal Zionist drone

The Staggering Death Toll of Mexico’s Drug War

Over the course of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, the number of civilian deaths has been staggering. In Afghanistan, more than 26,000 civilians are estimated to have died since the war began in 2001. In Iraq, conservative tallies place the number of civilians killed at roughly 160,500 since the U.S. invasion in 2003. Others have put the total closer to 500,000.

But as U.S. involvement in each nation has dropped off in recent years, killings much closer to home, in Mexico, have steadily, if quietly, outpaced the number of civilian deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq combined.

Last week, the Mexican government released new data showing that between 2007 and 2014 — a period that accounts for some of the bloodiest years of the nation’s war against the drug cartels — more than 164,000 people were victims of homicide. Nearly 20,000 died last year alone, a substantial number, but still a decrease from the 27,000 killed at the peak of fighting in 2011.

The Staggering Death Toll of Mexico's Drug War | Drug Lord: The ...
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/.../the-staggering-death-toll-of-mexicos-drug-war...

RE The debates

(COMMENT)

1. Syria & Iraq
2. Turkey
3. Yemen
6. South Sudan
7. Afghanistan
8. Myanmar
9. Ukraine
10. Mexico​

Most Respectfully,
R

Well, let me put it this way. The reason those 10 conflicts are not in the news, is because Jews are not involved in them. But in Mexico's case, even though Jews are not involved, its proximity to us would still demand a place in the news.

(BTW, I am very surprised that North Korea has been very much in the news lately, since very few Jews, if at all, live there.)

RE The debates

(COMMENT)

1. Syria & Iraq
2. Turkey
3. Yemen
6. South Sudan
7. Afghanistan
8. Myanmar
9. Ukraine
10. Mexico​

Most Respectfully,
R

Well, let me put it this way. The reason those 10 conflicts are not in the news, is because Jews are not involved in them. But in Mexico's case, even though Jews are not involved, its proximity to us would still demand a place in the news.

(BTW, I am very surprised that North Korea has been very much in the news lately, since very few Jews, if at all, live there.)

I can only lament your pathetic ignorance and prevailing sense of delusion...the scathing irony is that American mainstream media is heavily biased in favor of Israel, literally channeling public statements and lies directly from the Israeli government, and yet still you whiny little pukes howl 'JEWS...JEWS!' Contrast European news with the slop that passes for reporting in America...French, German, Italian and British news services actually dare to report the facts about Israel...

RE The debates

(COMMENT)

1. Syria & Iraq
2. Turkey
3. Yemen
6. South Sudan
7. Afghanistan
8. Myanmar
9. Ukraine
10. Mexico​

Most Respectfully,
R

No, no 'armed conflict' at all in Mexico...only a mere 20,000 dead last year...LOL Your ignorance is astonishing... an ideal Zionist drone

Over the course of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, the number of civilian deaths has been staggering. In Afghanistan, more than 26,000 civilians are estimated to have died since the war began in 2001. In Iraq, conservative tallies place the number of civilians killed at roughly 160,500 since the U.S. invasion in 2003. Others have put the total closer to 500,000.

But as U.S. involvement in each nation has dropped off in recent years, killings much closer to home, in Mexico, have steadily, if quietly, outpaced the number of civilian deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq combined.

Last week, the Mexican government released new data showing that between 2007 and 2014 — a period that accounts for some of the bloodiest years of the nation’s war against the drug cartels — more than 164,000 people were victims of homicide. Nearly 20,000 died last year alone, a substantial number, but still a decrease from the 27,000 killed at the peak of fighting in 2011.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/.../the-staggering-death-toll-of-mexicos-drug-war...

I am here to discuss Israel, a place you have never been to and have no knowledge of. Your ignorance of the civil war in the Congo shows YOUR ignorance, not mine. If you don't stop your childish, bratty, bitter name-calling I will be forced to report you. The fact that anti-Israel ppl know of no other conflict in the world displays something about you guys, not me. Otherwise, Tinmore would not have asked if there were any other conflicts in the world, 100 years old or not. It is because of the media's obsession with Israel, that millions of other ppl die in the world, with no notice of them whatsoever.

RE The debates

(COMMENT)

1. Syria & Iraq
2. Turkey
3. Yemen
6. South Sudan
7. Afghanistan
8. Myanmar
9. Ukraine
10. Mexico​

Most Respectfully,
R

I am here to discuss Israel, a place you have never been to and have no knowledge of. Your ignorance of the civil war in the Congo shows YOUR ignorance, not mine. If you don't stop your childish, bratty, bitter name-calling I will be forced to report you. The fact that anti-Israel ppl know of no other conflict in the world displays something about you guys, not me. Otherwise, Tinmore would not have asked if there were any other conflicts in the world, 100 years old or not. It is because of the media's obsession with Israel, that millions of other ppl die in the world, with no notice of them whatsoever.
The fact that anti-Israel ppl know of no other conflict in the world displays something about you guys, not me.
Of course that is not true. Many Palestinians and their supporters regularly work in the Middle East and Latin America.

RE The debates

(COMMENT)

1. Syria & Iraq
2. Turkey
3. Yemen
6. South Sudan
7. Afghanistan
8. Myanmar
9. Ukraine
10. Mexico​

Most Respectfully,
R

Wrong on both counts idiot...not only have I been to Israel, I have very likely forgotten more of the relevant details of the conflict than a mindless blow-parrot like you is likely to learn! The real question is why are you trying to shift the emphasis to other conflicts on the ( Israel and Palestine ) debate room? No other global conflict compares in situational and political conditions to the criminal occupation of Historic Palestine...you are obviously an awkwardly ignorant Hasbara-troll...

RE The debates

(COMMENT)

1. Syria & Iraq
2. Turkey
3. Yemen
6. South Sudan
7. Afghanistan
8. Myanmar
9. Ukraine
10. Mexico​

Most Respectfully,
R

Wrong on both counts idiot...not only have I been to Israel, I have very likely forgotten more of the relevant details of the conflict than a mindless blow-parrot like you is likely to learn! The real question is why are you trying to shift the emphasis to other conflicts on the ( Israel and Palestine ) debate room? No other global conflict compares in situational and political conditions to the criminal occupation of Historic Palestine...you are obviously an awkwardly ignorant Hasbara-troll...

I am not shifting anything. Tinmore asked if there was any other conflict going on in the world (though I must admit that he did qualify that statement by saying a century old). I simply answered his question. Before mixing into something, you should at least try to keep up with what's happening in the debate. And because I'm not insecure like you are, I'm not going to pepper this post with the names "idiot", "blowhard", "ignorant", "fool", etc. It's pretty sad that you have to do that.

RE The debates

(COMMENT)

1. Syria & Iraq
2. Turkey
3. Yemen
6. South Sudan
7. Afghanistan
8. Myanmar
9. Ukraine
10. Mexico​

Most Respectfully,
R

I am not shifting anything. Tinmore asked if there was any other conflict going on in the world (though I must admit that he did qualify that statement by saying a century old). I simply answered his question. Before mixing into something, you should at least try to keep up with what's happening in the debate. And because I'm not insecure like you are, I'm not going to pepper this post with the names "idiot", "blowhard", "ignorant", "fool", etc. It's pretty sad that you have to do that.

Wrong yet again Goober, have you considered changing your screen-name to ( Forever-Dumb )???? Shifting the emphasis from Israel to other global conflicts is curiously enough one of the main tactics of Hasbara, probably just a coincidence that you peddle it huh? And my valid use of descriptions like "idiot' or 'fool' has nothing to do with 'insecurity' and everything to do with your profoundly limited knowledge and consequent idiocy...capish asshole?

RE The debates
※→ ForeverYoung436, et al,

This has to do with the overarching question as to why armed groups (mercenaries, drug cartels, insurgents, jihadists and the basket that contains all the other asymmetric fighters) are bound by the IHL of non-international armed conflicts?

(COMMENT)

In the expanded parochial views of middle class America, it is simply because Mexico is so close and so familiar with Americans that one can't see the forest for the trees; focuses on small sections of an issue rather than considering its wider context.

In the minds of most Americans, we tend to think of "war" in conventional terms. But that really is not a safe way to view "International Armed Conflict" (IAC) and "Non-International Armed Conflicts" (NIAC). Somewhere, the understanding became foggy and the difference between war and politics ⇔ combatants and civilians have stepped out of focus. We call this the evolution of conflict from Conventional to Fourth-generation warfare (4GW); where there is a very heavy asymmetric component. The Israeli Forces, specifically the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) is a force dominated by modern logistical practices, all types of technology, and tactics deception, rapidly deplorable and heavily armed forces using modern means of cover and concealment. We call this Third Generation Warfare (3GW). The various Hostile Arab Palestinian (HoAP) are, for the most part, low budget 4GW. They operate under the auspicious of a Palestinian Political Party as an armed wings, yet never quite under central control. The Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades are the Military Wing to HAMAS and the al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades consider themselves the Military Wing of Fatah.

Mexico has many armed groups; some big and some small. The claim is that many of the Police (City, State, Federal), including Prosecutors and key national level politicians are in the pocket of general criminal enterprises and drug cartels.

Business Anti-Corruption Portal

Corruption is a significant risk for companies operating in Mexico. Bribery is widespread in the country's judiciary and police, and business registration processes, including getting construction permits and licenses, are negatively influenced by corruption. Organized crime continues to be a very problematic factor for business, imposing large costs on companies. Collusion between the police, judges and criminal groups is extensive, leading to widespread crime, theft, impunity and weak law enforcement. The petroleum industry is dominated by the state-owned oil company Pemex, which has been the subject of several high-profile corruption cases. Gifts and hospitality are not forbidden by law and may be permissible, depending on intent. Attempted bribery, extortion, abuse of office, bribery of foreign public officials and facilitation are criminalized under Mexico's Federal Penal Code (Código Penal Federal, in Spanish). However, Mexico's anti-corruption laws are almost never enforced, and public officials are rarely held liable for illegal acts.​

As this grows, it will have some far reaching consequences.
Most Respectfully,
R

RE The debates

(COMMENT)

1. Syria & Iraq
2. Turkey
3. Yemen
6. South Sudan
7. Afghanistan
8. Myanmar
9. Ukraine
10. Mexico​

Most Respectfully,
R

The fact that anti-Israel ppl know of no other conflict in the world displays something about you guys, not me.
Of course that is not true. Many Palestinians and their supporters regularly work in the Middle East and Latin America.

How much time did You spend in the middle east?

RE The debates

(COMMENT)

1. Syria & Iraq
2. Turkey
3. Yemen
6. South Sudan
7. Afghanistan
8. Myanmar
9. Ukraine
10. Mexico​

Most Respectfully,
R

Deflection.

How much time did you spend in Nazi Germany?

Deflection.

I asked a straight question, why can't You simply answer?

Both of my family branches fought the fascists and the nazis, both in Europe and in Africa.
Most of the family in Europe on my wife's side perished as a result.

Your turn:

So how much time actually did You spend in the middle east?

Deflection.

I asked a straight question, why can't You simply answer?

Both of my family branches fought the fascists and the nazis, both in Europe and in Africa.
Most of the family in Europe on my wife's side perished as a result.

Your turn:

So how much time actually did You spend in the middle east?
That wasn't the question.

Forum List

Back