The DaVinci Code

I had thought that I knew all about the life of Leonardo. When I glanced at the reproductions and phots I have of the Last Supper I was dumbfounded. Not only does that look like a chick next to The Christ. She is painted in Leonardo's instructs for representing a woman. His treatise on painting calls for women to have their hands out that way and that they be looking down demurely. I paint too. He up and went to France at the end of his life. There is a goofy upside down pyramid grafted onto the Louvre. Who knows?

[QUOTE='ol Perfessor]I had thought that I knew all about the life of Leonardo. When I glanced at the reproductions and phots I have of the Last Supper I was dumbfounded. Not only does that look like a chick next to The Christ. She is painted in Leonardo's instructs for representing a woman. His treatise on painting calls for women to have their hands out that way and that they be looking down demurely. I paint too. He up and went to France at the end of his life. There is a goofy upside down pyramid grafted onto the Louvre. Who knows?[/QUOTE]

When I was a kid I had a Bible with a copy of that painting inside the back cover. I kept insisting it was a woman next to Christ and everybody said I was insane. I have always thought that it looked like a rather pretty lady.

[QUOTE='ol Perfessor]I had thought that I knew all about the life of Leonardo. When I glanced at the reproductions and phots I have of the Last Supper I was dumbfounded. Not only does that look like a chick next to The Christ. She is painted in Leonardo's instructs for representing a woman. His treatise on painting calls for women to have their hands out that way and that they be looking down demurely. I paint too. He up and went to France at the end of his life. There is a goofy upside down pyramid grafted onto the Louvre. Who knows?[/QUOTE]

I read the book and was interresed enough to pull up some pictures to look at. It does look like a woman next to christ. Also the Mona Lisa is interresting to look at also, theirs a theory the person is supposed to look androginous.

Interresting book, a good read anyway. Lots of good theories.

Trigg said:
I read the book and was interresed enough to pull up some pictures to look at. It does look like a woman next to christ. Also the Mona Lisa is interresting to look at also, theirs a theory the person is supposed to look androginous.

Interresting book, a good read anyway. Lots of good theories.

I agree that in the painting it looks like a woman, but then again, how long after the Last Supper was that painted? 14 or 15 hundred years? Not what I would call a "snap-shot" of the moment.

At the risk of giving away the end of the book, I have no problem with the idea of Jesus being married. Brown (the author) makes a pretty good argument. But I've also heard an extension of that theory that Christ actually survived the crucifiction, and THAT I have a huge problem with!

It seems to me that if Jesus wanted the full human experience, being married would be included. (I can hear the jokes about nagging right now...) But seriously, if he wanted to experience what it means to be human, I think marriage/intimate relationships (and possibly parenting) are a large part of that.

What I'm saying is, I don't find the theory of Mary Magdalene offensive and it has no negative impact on my faith.

clumzgirl said:
At the risk of giving away the end of the book, I have no problem with the idea of Jesus being married. Brown (the author) makes a pretty good argument. But I've also heard an extension of that theory that Christ actually survived the crucifiction, and THAT I have a huge problem with!

It seems to me that if Jesus wanted the full human experience, being married would be included. (I can hear the jokes about nagging right now...) But seriously, if he wanted to experience what it means to be human, I think marriage/intimate relationships (and possibly parenting) are a large part of that.

What I'm saying is, I don't find the theory of Mary Magdalene offensive and it has no negative impact on my faith.

The problem with that is that the resurrected Church is shown to be the Bride of the Lamb in Revelation. So Jesus is to be married, in a sense, but not to just one person, to the entire church. So there was no "need" for Him to be married, because He will be in the future.

I suppose, but isn't it a bit metaphorical? I see your point, but I think being *literally* married is an integral part of being human. (No offense to singles.)

clumzgirl said:
I suppose, but isn't it a bit metaphorical? I see your point, but I think being *literally* married is an integral part of being human. (No offense to singles.)

However, Jesus did teach that some should be eunichs, if they felt called to that particular lifestyle. And Paul taught that it is better to be single, because you can devote all of your time to the Lord, rather than being married, where your devotion to family will take a significant amount of time away from serving God.

clumzgirl said:

Where do you get the idea Jesus wanted to experience of being human? Do you know it's likely Jesus wasn't always aware of his divinity? Jesus had to learn to 'not' crap his diapers. He had to learn to speak. He had chores as a kid. Jesus learned to buckle his sandals. Jesus flirted with the girl across the way. Jesus could not have the 'full' experience of being Human and yet remain 'Perfect' or 'sin-free'. Why? It's human nature to sin - to do evil. That's one experience of humanity Christ thankfully avoided - not that he wasn't tempted. Christ came not for 'the whole' experience, but because the ONLY payment for HUMAN sin, is HUMAN death - which Jesus experienced. Yet, because Jesus is also fully God, he was able to break-free from the bonds of death and seperation from God (Hell, if you will).

gop_jeff said:
However, Jesus did teach that some should be eunichs, if they felt called to that particular lifestyle. And Paul taught that it is better to be single, because you can devote all of your time to the Lord, rather than being married, where your devotion to family will take a significant amount of time away from serving God.

I've read somewhere that back in the middle ages priests were married, the church changed how it felt about marriage later on.

The theories of Jesus not being an only son and getting married really wouldn't be out of place for the time.

Trigg said:
I've read somewhere that back in the middle ages priests were married, the church changed how it felt about marriage later on.

The theories of Jesus not being an only son and getting married really wouldn't be out of place for the time.

I'm sure no student of the bible believes christ had no siblings.

freeandfun1 said:
Actually, the AC comes forth out of the revived Roman Empire

Reference: Dan 9:26

However, he will be Assyrian as he is referred to as the Assyrian.

Reference: Isa 30:31 also Mic 5:6

Yeah, but here's a thought that might throw a wrench into the works:

In the name of political expediency, Hillary Clinton is referred to as "The New Yorker."

My life to this moment has taught me that it is a sin to live. That if I exist, another will not. All life then exists from other life. That is what salvation is all about. That is the sin for which we needed forgiveness.
To live life as a "perfect" being? Can anyone give me an idea of what this perfection would be like?

[QUOTE='ol Perfessor]My life to this moment has taught me that it is a sin to live. That if I exist, another will not. All life then exists from other life. That is what salvation is all about. That is the sin for which we needed forgiveness.
To live life as a "perfect" being? Can anyone give me an idea of what this perfection would be like?[/QUOTE]

Read about the life of Jesus. That's a perfect existance.

[QUOTE='ol Perfessor]My life to this moment has taught me that it is a sin to live. That if I exist, another will not. All life then exists from other life. That is what salvation is all about. That is the sin for which we needed forgiveness.
To live life as a "perfect" being? Can anyone give me an idea of what this perfection would be like?[/QUOTE]

What religion teaches that it is a sin to live??? :confused:

rtwngAvngr said:
environmentalism. Humanity is to be suppressed, so we don't consume so much.

It is a Circle of Life thing. If you are to live you consume things that are alive to do so. It isn't a sin, it is the Circle. The sin would be to kill an animal only to eat a small portion and destroy the rest creating a sacrifice for your own enjoyment.

no1tovote4 said:
It is a Circle of Life thing. If you are to live you consume things that are alive to do so. It isn't a sin, it is the Circle. The sin would be to kill an animal only to eat a small portion and destroy the rest creating a sacrifice for your own enjoyment.

What if you get the large gyro platter but can't eat it all and must take some home in a doggy bag?

rtwngAvngr said:
What if you get the large gyro platter but can't eat it all and must take some home in a doggy bag?

I would definitely take it home in a doggy bag. Gyros are excellent. I would eat it later myself. However you can choose to do with it what you wish, wasting it would be a sin in my religion, not necessarily in yours.

In other words:

Yes, you should not waste the food.

Forum List

Back