The concept of race is a social construct

Ok, once more for you, Jillian.

Yes, kids do notice different colors of skin.

Simple enough? You really think a 6 month old baby who has seen nothing but black faces all her life isn't going to stare or be startled by a white one?

Gimme a break. Kids stare and freak out at midgets, or people with sparkly eyeshadow. And you expect people to believe they won't notice a different skin color.

No... I know they don't. Well, maybe that would be the case for the child of someone who likens the melanin content of one's skin with dwarfism.

Your repeating things doesn't make them true.

Kids left to their own devices don't notice race. It's a non-issue, no different from different hair color. At most it's a curiousity, I think.

Now see, I disagree with that. Of course they notice race. My comment was regarding racism -- hatred.

I still contend inherent fear of difference exists, regardless the absence of hatred.

Ok, once more for you, Jillian.

Yes, kids do notice different colors of skin.

Simple enough? You really think a 6 month old baby who has seen nothing but black faces all her life isn't going to stare or be startled by a white one?

Gimme a break. Kids stare and freak out at midgets, or people with sparkly eyeshadow. And you expect people to believe they won't notice a different skin color.

At 6 months old? One has to be at least aware at the elemental level first.

Now see, I disagree with that. Of course they notice race. My comment was regarding racism -- hatred.

I still contend inherent fear of difference exists, regardless the absence of hatred.

Dunno... maybe because we were surrounded by people of all colors, wouldn't have been something any of the kids here would notice. So I think, maybe, we need to distinguish between discomfort with something one has never been exposed to and discomfort with different skin color in general, which I really don't think exists if it isn't something alien. And given the diversity of people on TV, even for the littlest children, I'm not sure how a child would ever be uncomfortable with racial differences unless that behavior is modeled by the parent(s).

Think about it, even if all your toddler has ever seenaround them are other people of the same race, if they've watched Sesame Street, they've already been exposed to diversity, no?

Good grief, I've seen kids completely come unglued when they see somebody in a mask. A non-scary mask.

They notice the difference, and differences can be frightening to babies. Some babies are just, as somebody said, curious. Some are flat out terrified. It depends on the kid.

Is that so hard to understand?

Not all kids have tv. In fact, many, many kids don't. I deal with families every day who don't have television, who never leave the area. And this area is completely white. I can't think of one exception.

Dunno... maybe because we were surrounded by people of all colors, wouldn't have been something any of the kids here would notice. So I think, maybe, we need to distinguish between discomfort with something one has never been exposed to and discomfort with different skin color in general, which I really don't think exists if it isn't something alien. And given the diversity of people on TV, even for the littlest children, I'm not sure how a child would ever be uncomfortable with racial differences unless that behavior is modeled by the parent(s).

Think about it, even if all your toddler has ever seenaround them are other people of the same race, if they've watched Sesame Street, they've already been exposed to diversity, no?

Discomfort with something one has never been exposed to and discomfort with different skin color is the same thing. What needs to be distinguished is the fact that statment alone does not necessarily mean anything negative, and the "if you think it's different you're a racist" mentality.

Think about this ... we as humans try to brainwash ourselves and/or our young against certain primal traits because they are not politically correct.

Discomfort with something one has never been exposed to and discomfort with different skin color is the same thing. What needs to be distinguished is the fact that statment alone does not necessarily mean anything negative, and the "if you think it's different you're a racist" mentality.

Think about this ... we as humans try to brainwash ourselves and/or our young against certain primal traits because they are not politically correct.

That's where I think we disagree. I think we try to educate people to get rid of useless and harmful social constructs. Just my opinion.

Unless the thing you haven't ever seen happens to BE a different skin color.

You're right. Racism is taught. But of course kids will notice a different skin color, and some kids will be afraid. Just as they are afraid of any thing that is strange to them.

You haven't been around kids much, apparently. Kids who have only been around one color are frequently afraid the first time they see someone with a different color.

They're afraid of new people at certain stages in their development..and a different color, if they aren't used to it, just makes it worse.

I think that children fear or have curiosity about what they have not been exposed to. Let Babies be around Black people and White people and all sorts of people and there will be less fear as they age. By the way, I want to share an embarrassing story.

For several years since I was born I had never seen a Black man. Then one day – I must have been about 4 or 5 – my mother and I went shopping. I saw a very dark skinned old Black man, walked up to him, smiled timidly at him and touched his arm (My mom was close by and watching.) I then looked up at him and said something to the extent of, “Gee man, you are dirty.” I must have thought that he had mud all over him and that he needed a bath. My mother was so embarrassed and apologetic. The man just smiled, winked, and nodded. I learned soon after that incident, that there are people of different colored skin.

Anyway, today race is a convenient social construct for those who want or need an enemy to blame for their own problems and insecurities. They can hide themselves within their racial group, avoid personal accountability, and blame the other side for society’s problems.

How many children do you know who are afraid of people of other races? I personally have never seen a child run away screaming or start crying when they see someone of another race.

Racism and bigotry are taught, this much is a fact. I don't follow the rest of your argument.

What exactly is "the other side"?

It is them. It is the groups to which you don’t belong. If you identify yourself as White above being a person, then the other side is Black. If you are Black then the other side is White. It is the old “us versus them” mentality. Pick your side and find only good in your side. Pick an enemy and find only bad in the enemy. It is as old as slavery. It is as old as the Palestinian Israeli war. It is as old as the Hatfields and MCoys. It is as old as jingoism and Xenophobia.

That's where I think we disagree. I think we try to educate people to get rid of useless and harmful social constructs. Just my opinion.

Really? To use a member or two on this board as example ... how about people who believe law enfrocement can and/or will protect them and that is their ONLY means of defense?

If society collapes -- and it is not an impossible concept -- those people are dead. If those people are attacked NOW; which, is a very REAL concept, unless they just happen to be lucky, there'll be no cop to save them. The cops will come along and try to find who murdered them.

What is useless and harmful is subjective.

Forum List

Back