The coming death of just about every rock legend

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
The music may be around for a long time to come but those that made it are either gone – or soon will be.

Yes, we've lost some already. On top of the icons who died horribly young decades ago — Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Elvis Presley, John Lennon — there's the litany of legends felled by illness, drugs, and just plain old age in more recent years: George Harrison, Ray Charles, Michael Jackson, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Glenn Frey, Prince, Leonard Cohen, Tom Petty.

And here it comes;

Behold the killing fields that lie before us: Bob Dylan (78 years old); Paul McCartney (77); Paul Simon (77) and Art Garfunkel (77); Carole King (77); Brian Wilson (77); Mick Jagger (76) and Keith Richards (75); Joni Mitchell (75); Jimmy Page (75) and Robert Plant (71); Ray Davies (75); Roger Daltrey (75) and Pete Townshend (74); Roger Waters (75) and David Gilmour (73); Rod Stewart (74); Eric Clapton (74); Debbie Harry (74); Neil Young (73); Van Morrison (73); Bryan Ferry (73); Elton John (72); Don Henley (72); James Taylor (71); Jackson Browne (70); Billy Joel (70); and Bruce Springsteen (69, but turning 70 next month).

I’m right up there with them and wonder how many, if any, I can manage to outlast.\

More @ The coming death of just about every rock legend

Yep. "Rock legends" are mortal. They die. Just like you and me.

The music may be around for a long time to come but those that made it are either gone – or soon will be.

Yes, we've lost some already. On top of the icons who died horribly young decades ago — Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Elvis Presley, John Lennon — there's the litany of legends felled by illness, drugs, and just plain old age in more recent years: George Harrison, Ray Charles, Michael Jackson, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Glenn Frey, Prince, Leonard Cohen, Tom Petty.

And here it comes;

Behold the killing fields that lie before us: Bob Dylan (78 years old); Paul McCartney (77); Paul Simon (77) and Art Garfunkel (77); Carole King (77); Brian Wilson (77); Mick Jagger (76) and Keith Richards (75); Joni Mitchell (75); Jimmy Page (75) and Robert Plant (71); Ray Davies (75); Roger Daltrey (75) and Pete Townshend (74); Roger Waters (75) and David Gilmour (73); Rod Stewart (74); Eric Clapton (74); Debbie Harry (74); Neil Young (73); Van Morrison (73); Bryan Ferry (73); Elton John (72); Don Henley (72); James Taylor (71); Jackson Browne (70); Billy Joel (70); and Bruce Springsteen (69, but turning 70 next month).

I’m right up there with them and wonder how many, if any, I can manage to outlast.\

Are you kidding, I just saw Elivis the day before yesterday.

And here it comes;

Behold the killing fields that lie before us: Bob Dylan (78 years old); Paul McCartney (77); Paul Simon (77) and Art Garfunkel (77); Carole King (77); Brian Wilson (77); Mick Jagger (76) and
The Most Relaxing Vacation You Can Take Is…

Keith Richards (75); Joni Mitchell (75); Jimmy Page (75) and Robert Plant (71); Ray Davies (75); Roger Daltrey (75) and Pete Townshend (74); Roger Waters (75) and David Gilmour (73); Rod Stewart (74); Eric Clapton (74); Debbie Harry (74); Neil Young (73); Van Morrison (73); Bryan Ferry (73); Elton John (72); Don Henley (72); James Taylor (71); Jackson Browne (70); Billy Joel (70); and Bruce Springsteen (69, but turning 70 next month).

Was his in the local malt shop with Roy Orbison?

In th world of digital downloads, it's pretty much guaranteed there will never be another classic band or another classic song. Ever.

These days a song gets popular just long enough for the next download, then it's forgotten. Most times it's a dumb song anyway.

Used to be a kid would work cutting grass all week then hop on his bike and go to the record store, buy the album he wanted, then come home and listen to it, probably flip through the album art and all of that.

Not anymore. Kids miss out on that stuff these days. Which is something else entirely, whole different discussion, but still germane to the former.

And here it comes;

Behold the killing fields that lie before us: Bob Dylan (78 years old); Paul McCartney (77); Paul Simon (77) and Art Garfunkel (77); Carole King (77); Brian Wilson (77); Mick Jagger (76) and
The Most Relaxing Vacation You Can Take Is…

Keith Richards (75); Joni Mitchell (75); Jimmy Page (75) and Robert Plant (71); Ray Davies (75); Roger Daltrey (75) and Pete Townshend (74); Roger Waters (75) and David Gilmour (73); Rod Stewart (74); Eric Clapton (74); Debbie Harry (74); Neil Young (73); Van Morrison (73); Bryan Ferry (73); Elton John (72); Don Henley (72); James Taylor (71); Jackson Browne (70); Billy Joel (70); and Bruce Springsteen (69, but turning 70 next month).

Was his in the local malt shop with Roy Orbison?
Come to think of it, yeah he was there too.

What I find telling is when a younger person asks, " So who the heck is Roy Orbison?" Funny, as a kid in the late 1950's early 60's, I still knew who Ruddy Valley was --- but then only about 35 years had passed since his heydays in the late 20's. The reality is that it is likely that even Elvis and the Beatles will fade into the sunset. Let's face it --- how many Stephen Foster songs can you name? And the reality is that he was the popular song king of his day on both side of the Atlantic ---- onetime, long ago.

And here it comes;

Jerry Lee Lewis is in his 80s and still kicking I think

I understand what your are saying Natural Citizen and have heard for some time now. It may very well be true. But with that said you and I and others must keep some things in mind. Rock n' roll was supposed to be over in 1958 when Elvis went to the Army. It not only wasn't the best was still yet to come. Besides all of these great things that happened didn't not in the history of humanity until "recently" so who can say for sure it won't happen again? I certainly doubt it will as long as songs are free or cheap off of the internet.

Little Nipper I would like to say as huge music fan...I've never heard of Stephen Foster. So there is some other problem with the system than what we are talking about than whatever going on as to why that person is not known.

I for one refuse to believe music is over and that I must lay down and die. Fuck that. You MUST fight, fight, fight!!!

53100c1da87f98b3717bc013dd89610d808b233dd18c86bf8504a409ad0685d5.jpg

MTV's first day, August 1, 1981...

I am not a big fan of Music Videos...

Forum List

Back