The best argument for keeping the death penalty

I was raised Catholic. Not seeing the broad brush you're painting with.

Read what he did to an innocent boy. He knows that killing that boy, if caught can result in his death.

To me, the asshole signed his own death warrant and, in effect, committed suicide.

I would have no problem walking through the pearly gates if allowed ( and it would be my pleasure ) to throw the switch on this scum.
If you are still a devout Catholic, you would protect life from conception to natural death as the Church teaches. Regardless, people on both sides of this controversy will go to heaven.

I'm sure what he did to this child was reprehensible. It still doesn't change my commitment to defending life.

The church permits the death penalty....
Only when absolutely necessary according to the CCC. In the past, it was difficult, even inhumane, to try to imprison people for life. But today we have the resources and technology to incarcerate someone for life while feeding them adequately and providing for their health care needs. Even the most dangerous can be kept in isolation and the most vulnerable protected from the general population. All the reasons it used to be impractical and even dangerous to incarcerate for life have dissipated, rendering the death penalty unnecessary.

And the Catholic Church's unwaivering teaching is that applying the death penalty apart from necessity is wrong.

Sorry......you can't promise that a killer will not kill another innocent person...wether a guard, prison staff, or someone should he/she escape....and then that innocent blood is on your hands...
And you can't promise me that someone who has never killed will not kill an innocent person. If we're killing people because they might kill, where does that end? Precrime is a very dark and slippery slope that can take society to a terrible place.

No....we are killing people who have actually committed premeditated murder...we aren't just pulling people off of the streets and killing them........these are people who committed murder and have shown they do not obey the most basic law of our society.....you need to rethink your last post.....

There are no guarantees in life, including a guarantee that you'll kill only guilty people.

Here is one absolute guarantee.....if a convicted murderer is put to death...they will never commit murder again...I can guarantee that.....you cannot guarantee that a murderer with a life sentence will not kill again....
If a bank robber were put to death, we can guarantee he will never kill anyone. If a burglar were put to death, we can guarantee he will never kill anyone. If a wayward youth throws a rock through a window....

There are no guarantees in life, including a guarantee that you'll kill only guilty people.

Here is one absolute guarantee.....if a convicted murderer is put to death...they will never commit murder again...I can guarantee that.....you cannot guarantee that a murderer with a life sentence will not kill again....
If a bank robber were put to death, we can guarantee he will never kill anyone. If a burglar were put to death, we can guarantee he will never kill anyone. If a wayward youth throws a rock through a window....

Wrong...we are not talking about a bank robber...we are talking about someone who has committed premeditated murder...someone who already took one life, knowing that it was against the law....and ignored the law already to take that life...

Please....you are reaching here...

I was raised Catholic. Not seeing the broad brush you're painting with.

Read what he did to an innocent boy. He knows that killing that boy, if caught can result in his death.

To me, the asshole signed his own death warrant and, in effect, committed suicide.

I would have no problem walking through the pearly gates if allowed ( and it would be my pleasure ) to throw the switch on this scum.
If you are still a devout Catholic, you would protect life from conception to natural death as the Church teaches. Regardless, people on both sides of this controversy will go to heaven.

I'm sure what he did to this child was reprehensible. It still doesn't change my commitment to defending life.

Only when absolutely necessary according to the CCC. In the past, it was difficult, even inhumane, to try to imprison people for life. But today we have the resources and technology to incarcerate someone for life while feeding them adequately and providing for their health care needs. Even the most dangerous can be kept in isolation and the most vulnerable protected from the general population. All the reasons it used to be impractical and even dangerous to incarcerate for life have dissipated, rendering the death penalty unnecessary.

And the Catholic Church's unwaivering teaching is that applying the death penalty apart from necessity is wrong.

Sorry......you can't promise that a killer will not kill another innocent person...wether a guard, prison staff, or someone should he/she escape....and then that innocent blood is on your hands...
And you can't promise me that someone who has never killed will not kill an innocent person. If we're killing people because they might kill, where does that end? Precrime is a very dark and slippery slope that can take society to a terrible place.

Whoever agreed with this...please....think before you agree...that post is silly.....

If that were the argument......

If that were the argument......

It isn't the argument....he knows he can't defend his point anymore with the number of examples of actual murderers...serving actual life sentences...who were paroled, had their sentences commuted or escaped or murdered prison employees.......so he has to change the argument....

No....we are killing people who have actually committed premeditated murder...we aren't just pulling people off of the streets and killing them........these are people who committed murder and have shown they do not obey the most basic law of our society.....you need to rethink your last post.....
And if they continue to be dangerous behind bars, they can be put in 23 hour solidarity confinement.

Too many people labor under old information about our corrections system. They think homosexual rape and murder are commonplace. That hasn't been true for a long time. Prison reform in the 1990's has drastically reduced violence. They don't just throw a bunch of offenders together and whatever happens, happens. Now they work to isolate the most violent offenders and protect the most vulnerable. Nobody can guarantee anyone won't kill people inside or outside of prison, but we can't just kill people because of what they might do. That's insane.

Whoever agreed with this...please....think before you agree...that post is silly.....
Really? You're attacking people for agreeing with my post?

And if they continue to be dangerous behind bars, they can be put in 23 hour solidarity confinement.

Too many people labor under old information about our corrections system. They think homosexual rape and murder are commonplace. That hasn't been true for a long time. Prison reform in the 1990's has drastically reduced violence. They don't just throw a bunch of offenders together and whatever happens, happens. Now they work to isolate the most violent offenders and protect the most vulnerable. Nobody can guarantee anyone won't kill people inside or outside of prison, but we can't just kill people because of what they might do. That's insane.

Wrong.....you cannot guarantee that a murderer sentenced to life in prison will not murder a guard, escape and murder innocent people who cross his path, or get paroled or released by some social justice warrior who thinks the guy is no longer a threat....the list I have posted speak for themselves....you position is untenable.....

We are not killing them because of what they might do....we are killing them for what they have done...murdered an innocent human being....showing that the most basic of our laws will not stop them.....even knowing the consequence for their actions.....

I am saying they need to think before they agree...because they obviously didn't put thought into agreeing with you...

Wrong.....you cannot guarantee that a murderer sentenced to life in prison will not murder a guard, escape and murder innocent people who cross his path, or get paroled or released by some social justice warrior who thinks the guy is no longer a threat....the list I have posted speak for themselves....you position is untenable.....

We are not killing them because of what they might do....we are killing them for what they have done...murdered an innocent human being....showing that the most basic of our laws will not stop them.....even knowing the consequence for their actions.....
Now you're just being repetitive. The pro death people look for some sort of rationalization to mask the fact that they just want to kill people they don't like. But every one of them fails the logic test, and precrime has got to be one of the worst. Normal self defense rules require an imminent threat before lethal force can be applied. Nobody gets away with killing someone because of what they might do. You remind me of ChrisL, wanting to kill non offending pedophiles because she's so sure they're eventually going to molest children. There is no justice in such an assumption.

The Catholic Church's wisdom on this is illuminating. Unless it's necessary to kill, a just society works to defend all life, even evil people.

Now you're just being repetitive. The pro death people look for some sort of rationalization to mask the fact that they just want to kill people they don't like. But every one of them fails the logic test, and precrime has got to be one of the worst. Normal self defense rules require an imminent threat before lethal force can be applied. Nobody gets away with killing someone because of what they might do. You remind me of ChrisL, wanting to kill non offending pedophiles because she's so sure they're eventually going to molest children. There is no justice in such an assumption.

The Catholic Church's wisdom on this is illuminating. Unless it's necessary to kill, a just society works to defend all life, even evil people.

so.....23 hour a day lockdown....you think that guarantees they won't commit murder? this guy was on 23 hour a day lockdown....murdered a guard as he was coming back from his shower....

Thomas Silverstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Murder of Correction Officers Clutts and Hoffmann[edit]

Correction Officer Merle Clutts

Correction Officer Robert Hoffmann
On October 22, 1983, Silverstein killed Correction Officer Merle Clutts at USP Marion.[7] After being let out of his cell for a shower, Silverstein used a ruse to get Clutts to walk ahead of him and positioned himself between Clutts and other officers. He stopped outside the cell of another inmate, Randy Gometz. Gometz passed a homemade prison knife, known as a shank, to Silverstein and unlocked Silverstein's handcuffs with a homemade key. Silverstein then attacked Clutts, stabbing him several dozen times. Silverstein later claimed that he murdered Clutts in retaliation for Clutts' deliberately harassing him.[4] Among other things, Clutts was accused of destroying paintings by Silverstein.[8]

I am saying they need to think before they agree...because they obviously didn't put thought into agreeing with you...
I agree because I don't believe that deliberately killing people when alternatives are available is an appropriate response to a social problem.

You disagree. Fine. Do you think arguing about this and stooping to personal criticism is the direction we should be going on this thread?

They have committed murder........what part of that is failing to get through to you.........these people have committed murder..they are not bank robbers, forgers, or even pedophiles.......and there is no way you can keep them from killing again...even on 23 hour lockdown...........the death penalty guarantees they will never kill again....having earned the death penalty for taking an innocent life....

I agree because I don't believe that deliberately killing people when alternatives are available is an appropriate response to a social problem.

You disagree. Fine. Do you think arguing about this and stooping to personal criticism is the direction we should be going on this thread?

Sure...you are wrong...I am pointing it out......and someone who agreed with that post...a post that is essentially an untrue representation of what we are discussing...and then acting as if that untrue representation makes the poster the superior moral defender needed to be called out....

They have committed murder........what part of that is failing to get through to you.........these people have committed murder..they are not bank robbers, forgers, or even pedophiles.......and there is no way you can keep them from killing again...even on 23 hour lockdown...........the death penalty guarantees they will never kill again....having earned the death penalty for taking an innocent life....
Most people in prison for murder never kill again. You can stomp your feet all you want, but there's no moral justification for killing people because you are so sure they will kill again. Even though most don't.

And your anecdotes reek of desperation to buttress a failing argument.

Most people in prison for murder never kill again. You can stomp your feet all you want, but there's no moral justification for killing people because you are so sure they will kill again. Even though most don't.

Sorry...you are the one who made the false argument to make a point, not me......they have taken a life...they do not deserve to keep theirs......and by taking theirs we save other lives.....

Most people in prison for murder never kill again.

Yes.....and then you can explain it to the victims who are murdered by those who do kill again..they will be comforted by your conviction....I am sure the family of four, and those children murdered by the escapee fully support your point.....

Sure...you are wrong...I am pointing it out......and someone who agreed with that post...a post that is essentially an untrue representation of what we are discussing...and then acting as if that untrue representation makes the poster the superior moral defender needed to be called out....
The post was on point. Some of us feel that there is no justification for killing people for crimes against society, period. Others think it's OK if the offender crosses an arbitrary line.

That position is not universally acceptable nor accepted.

Forum List

Back