The American Battle rifle in war...how has it been working lately...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I haven't seen many articles addressing this...but are there any reports on how our battle rifle for the infantry has been doing over in Iraq and Afghanistan.....I know the M-16 we had in the 90s were bad...but I was in National Guard.....

Any news....?

I haven't seen many articles addressing this...but are there any reports on how our battle rifle for the infantry has been doing over in Iraq and Afghanistan.....I know the M-16 we had in the 90s were bad...but I was in National Guard.....

Any news....?
None.

The M-16 is a fine battle weapon.

I own AKs, M-14s, Garands, M-1 Carbines, FALs and assortment of other rifles but If I needed a rifle a weapon for its intended use it would be the AR platform with modern optics like Aimpoint or ACOG.

Any news....?
I would have to think a .30 calibre would be more effective on big, strong Arabs with body armor than a .22.

The .22 might have been great on little guys weighting 100 lbs and running around in shorts and t-shirts.

As for weight, a lot of weight could be saved by going to a 6mm instead of a .30.

Perfect compromise, I would think, would be an 85 grain .243.

With right twist, of course.

I own AKs, M-14s, Garands, M-1 Carbines, FALs and assortment of other rifles but If I needed a rifle a weapon for its intended use it would be the AR platform with modern optics like Aimpoint or ACOG.

Fine battle weapons are those that can still function effectively when the realities of combat make the hi-tech toys useless. M16/AR platform isn't as unreliable as it's bad press from the past, but you still best have low-tech alternatives to the goodies and a good supply of oil handy.

Fine battle weapons are those that can still function effectively when the realities of combat make the hi-tech toys useless. M16/AR platform isn't as unreliable as it's bad press from the past, but you still best have low-tech alternatives to the goodies and a good supply of oil handy.

I used a M-16A1 in Vietnam and it worked fine.

My son used a M-16A4 in Iraq under some very adverse conditions and it worked fine for him. He told me the A4s worked fine in his Cav Scout platoon in training and deployment.

I have been taking ARs out to the range and occasionally out to the bush for decades and they are fine. If I have a problem it is usually the ammo or a magazine.

I have build ARs for several sheriffs deputies as their parole rifle and the feedback I get is that they have worked fine in training.

If you don't want one don't buy one.

M-14 is the best long gun for distance shooting. M-4 with the AN/PEQ-2 optics is best for close quarters.

Any news....?
I would have to think a .30 calibre would be more effective on big, strong Arabs with body armor than a .22.

The .22 might have been great on little guys weighting 100 lbs and running around in shorts and t-shirts.

As for weight, a lot of weight could be saved by going to a 6mm instead of a .30.

Perfect compromise, I would think, would be an 85 grain .243.

With right twist, of course.

A M-16 will kill you. If you heard otherwise somebody lied to you.

A M-855 bullet will penetrate a battle helmet at 600 meters. The new ammo is even better than that.

It would be better if the A-4s had a 16 inch barrel instead of a 14.5 inch but it is still deadly for typical battle distance.

Remember the doctrine of both the Army and Marines nowadays is to have F-A machine guns backed up by troops with the lighter carbines. The lighter carbines enable them to carry more ammo for the machine guns and other firepower.

M-14 is the best long gun for distance shooting. M-4 with the AN/PEQ-2 optics is best for close quarters.

I have a couple of M1As and I trained on a M-14 in 1966. I was issued a M-14 when I first got to Vietnam in 1967. A couple of months later they traded out the M-14 for M-16A1s. I liked the M-16 better.

I love the iron sights on my M1As but I have yet been able to find a good battle scope solution for it and I have tried several options. It is just not made for optics.

AR15 is fine , more ammo can be carried . For regular Americans on the street the AR rifle in any configuration is fine . I hear that it is the most popular rifle in the USA with more than 5 million in circulation in the states . I've heard it referred to as the Musket of the 21st century . Also think that it is doing fine in the wars where it is being used .

I think, and I could be wrong, that Springfield Armory once made the M-1A in in .243.

I think that might be one mighty fine rifle.

I used a M-16A1 in Vietnam and it worked fine.

My son used a M-16A4 in Iraq under some very adverse conditions and it worked fine for him. He told me the A4s worked fine in his Cav Scout platoon in training and deployment.

I have been taking ARs out to the range and occasionally out to the bush for decades and they are fine. If I have a problem it is usually the ammo or a magazine.

I have build ARs for several sheriffs deputies as their parole rifle and the feedback I get is that they have worked fine in training.

If you don't want one don't buy one.

That's nice, now go back and read what I wrote. Thanks.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back