The abbreviation that became a slur....Jap

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

In the 1950s, Shosuke Sasaki launched a campaign to have the word “Jap” re-classed as a racial slur and eliminated from print media. He would continue that work for the better part of the next 20 years.

Born in Japan, Sasaski immigrated to the United States in 1919. Shortly after his 1939 graduation from the University of Washington, he was incarcerated at the Minidoka concentration camp for the duration of World War II.

After the war, he relocated to New York where he worked for Standard & Poor’s financial institution before relocating to Denver and, eventually, Seattle.

Sasaki is perhaps best know for his work on the Seattle Plan for redress in the early 1970s, but for 20 years prior to that he waged an eloquent, persistent, and, at times, acerbic campaign to eliminate the pejorative use of the word “Jap” in print media and to have the term listed more appropriately in dictionaries.

Sasaki’s personal dedication to the cause was remarkable but the support of the Japanese American Citizens League and other activists were critical to his success. Here are some highlights from that campaign.

Why is Jap any different than Brit or Pole, they are not considered slurs.

If I buy a Jap Type 99 Arisaka rifle do I get points off for not spelling out Japanese?

LOL.....Just wait till they find out what Dr. Seuss did during the war. ;)

STJ-blavity.jpg

73d64836625f1caaf5fff499d85085b0.jpg

Americans, especially the younger generations, have been pussified and are easily offended over the most insane language. All it continues to do is change the language landscape so you are only allowed to use permitted terms and phrases -- political correctness is censorship of language.

Even using terms like whiteboard, white list, black list, master / slave (in an IT world), etc are being demonized and it's just sheer stupidity. Now I'll go create a black list on my whiteboard outlining a server master / slave scenario ..

My best friend from kindergarten through 8th grade when he moved away, was a Jap. :)

Another forgotten moment in American history...

1693754396663.jpeg

Forum List

Back