That the Americans deny the existence of Roma or Gypsies is it a discrimination?

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Speedy Gonzales
The US Census doesnt count "Roma" because "it is not a nationality or religion" (Wikipedia: Romani Americans). So what is it? Also I heard often "We dont know what Roma are we know Gypsies but they are not real people" I somehow doubt that most americans really dont know that. Do they really dont know that? To me this is a another form of discrimination I have written before about Gypsies hiding their identity and passing them off as mexicans or natives or something else.

From what I understand, the Roma (Gypsies) are descendants from the area around India. I also understand that they are a close-knit society, preferring to stay within their own ethnic group. Generally, anytime I hear about the Roma/Gypsies, they are spoken of in a negative context as grifters. Personally, I would take much of it as unreliable hearsay and should I meet someone who identifies as such, treat him/her as I would anyone else.

From what I understand, the Roma (Gypsies) are descendants from the area around India. I also understand that they are a close-knit society, preferring to stay within their own ethnic group. Generally, anytime I hear about the Roma/Gypsies, they are spoken of in a negative context as grifters. Personally, I would take much of it as unreliable hearsay and should I meet someone who identifies as such, treat him/her as I would anyone else.

I heard of such Gypsies myself. One Gypsy woman told me she doesnt talk to someone who is not a Gypsy. I wrote her on Instagramm. But I didnt know this before, I mean from my immediate environment in my family and environment many are even mixed like having a gypsy parent and a non-gypsy parent. So I wouldnt say "the gypsies are a close-knit society" that is maybe sub-groups of them, I think there are different sub-groups. Im a Gypsy and my problem is that people reject me sometimes not the other way around.

The last time I seen a gypsy was around 1976 over in Minnesota. A strange woman

gypsybabytina.jpg

Personally, I find it a bit odd to have a policy of "not" speaking to non-gypsies. I am unfamiliar with any religion that actually preaches it. Are you sure it's not more of a "cultural" thing, rather than a religious thing? I've been all over this planet and find it interesting to speak to those of other cultures. Strict Islam is considered very harsh, yet they do speak with we mere infidels.

Personally, I find it a bit odd to have a policy of "not" speaking to non-gypsies. I am unfamiliar with any religion that actually preaches it. Are you sure it's not more of a "cultural" thing, rather than a religious thing? I've been all over this planet and find it interesting to speak to those of other cultures. Strict Islam is considered very harsh, yet they do speak with we mere infidels.

Yes it is nonsense. There is no such religion. She means ethnicity. And it is also stupid. She also blocked me. Usually I know it the other away around from my immediate environment, that gypsies get rejected for bein another race or dark skinned, and dirty and such. That others dont want to mix with them. I know mixed couples and usually it were the europeans who rejected the gypsy. I guess it is different in different parts of the world or for different groups of Gypsies.

Racism exists across the globe. In Japan, I've seen signs in store windows that forbid blacks, whites, or Americans from entering and that is considered acceptable. In the Sudan, the Arab Muslims kill the black Muslims.....reason....they're blacks. Hatred and suspicion is a worldwide human failure. That's the way it goes.

I don't know if it's discriminatory but I do know the Romanis do face some serious discrimination where many of them live.

I heard of such Gypsies myself. One Gypsy woman told me she doesnt talk to someone who is not a Gypsy. I wrote her on Instagramm. But I didnt know this before, I mean from my immediate environment in my family and environment many are even mixed like having a gypsy parent and a non-gypsy parent. So I wouldnt say "the gypsies are a close-knit society" that is maybe sub-groups of them, I think there are different sub-groups. Im a Gypsy and my problem is that people reject me sometimes not the other way around.
You are a Gypsy and you look very much like one, since you're always asking.

Yes it is nonsense. There is no such religion. She means ethnicity. And it is also stupid. She also blocked me. Usually I know it the other away around from my immediate environment, that gypsies get rejected for bein another race or dark skinned, and dirty and such. That others dont want to mix with them. I know mixed couples and usually it were the europeans who rejected the gypsy. I guess it is different in different parts of the world or for different groups of Gypsies.
Perhaps they do not want to be bothered. Or their culture infected by outsiders?

The US Census doesnt count "Roma" because "it is not a nationality or religion" (Wikipedia: Romani Americans). So what is it? Also I heard often "We dont know what Roma are we know Gypsies but they are not real people" I somehow doubt that most americans really dont know that. Do they really dont know that? To me this is a another form of discrimination I have written before about Gypsies hiding their identity and passing them off as mexicans or natives or something else.
Can you provide proof to support your opinion that American’s have no clue what Roma are?

I dislike you because you are Serbian, but Roma are not a Nation nor do they Govern any Nation that I know of, so who cares except a very slight minority in America…?

I remember when I first moved to Prague (1997) the tv stations were trying to get the Roma to move to Canada and Britain with interviews of those that had saying how happy they were with all the free stuff and that most people thought they were Pakis. Canada followed up by slapping visa restrictions on Czechs and the British opening up an immigration office at Prague airport to stem the dregs of Europe from entry.

Forum List

Back