Thank you Paul Simon.

I
Bob Dylan got a Nobel Prize. It was a way for very dark establishment to absorb him and use him for propaganda. When you take antiheroes and turn them into heroes, that's propaganda. Simon today no doubt sees himself as one of the beautiful people but in 1973 he, like Dylan was telling it like it was.
I think Paul Simon and Bob Dylan were both telling it like it was in the late 60s and early 70s. Their genius had nothing to do with the Nobel Prize or the “beautiful people.” It was there before they became famous and endures in their music, regardless of what “the Man” may say or what tune “he” sings today. Dylan’s music and themes were more “dated,” went through more changes. In my opinion time and fame took its toll on Bob Dylan, especially as the Civil Rights and Anti-War movements faded. Paul Simon’s genius and spirit, however, seemed almost changeless and perfect over decades.

I remember when he broke with the shibboleths of the liberal “boycott and divestment” movement against apartheid — a campaign he was otherwise profoundly in sympathy with — to go to South Africa, reach across divides and bring back to the world new black African music, musicians, and his own crossover rhythms and themes of universal brotherhood. He was a genius. Not a politician. Just an ordinary liberal, a great musician and poet, who never “sold out” to money or even the pressure of good friends.

Anyway, that’s how I see things. I respect Paul Simon. His “liberalism” was genuine, tolerant and inclusive, and still admirable.

Last edited:
Your thinking may change when your job is gone , your mortgage is foreclosed on and you are evicted. Where do you think government gets its revenue? Taxing food is just around the corner. All those Harvard and Yale educations that sold us out like aristocrats everywhere will be insulated from the suffering coming your way. What will you do when your prescriptions can't be filled? Wait for it. It's coming.

I have often wondered at the "bullshit" kids supposedly learn in school and have come to the conclusion that it's actually the stuff they learned that is beyond the understanding of their parents.
it sure is. they aren't there to see the actual brain washing or else.

Your thinking may change when your job is gone , your mortgage is foreclosed on and you are evicted. Where do you think government gets its revenue? Taxing food is just around the corner. All those Harvard and Yale educations that sold us out like aristocrats everywhere will be insulated from the suffering coming your way. What will you do when your prescriptions can't be filled? Wait for it. It's coming.
Ray, you are 73. I’m 71. I no longer work and my mortgage is thankfully paid off. I worry more about the kids and my grandchild. We are unlikely to change each other’s opinions about life or politics.

But will you at least acknowledge that the man you “Thanked” — Paul Simon — remains a liberal? That he would surely disagree with most of your own views?

I have often wondered at the "bullshit" kids supposedly learn in school and have come to the conclusion that it's actually the stuff they learned that is beyond the understanding of their parents.

Your kids?

I think people are getting it. all kinds of protests over the weekend in norther illinois. ManCow Muller was at one of them doing interviews go to his web page and see.

Ray, you are 73. I’m 71. I no longer work and my mortgage is thankfully paid off. I worry more about the kids and my grandchild. We are unlikely to change each other’s opinions about life or politics.

But will you at least acknowledge that the man you “Thanked” — Paul Simon — remains a liberal? That he would surely disagree with most of your own views?
He thanked him for his song. it was spot on.

Mostly RW funding cuts, low teacher pay creating high churn rates, elimination of classes like PE, Music, Civics and Government have hurt.

This is what YOU posted, dumbass:
The academic performance of American schoolchildren hasn't budged in two decades, despite billions of dollars in increased funding.

Tom Paine asked @Ray9: “But will you at least acknowledge that the man you “Thanked” — Paul Simon — remains a liberal? That he would surely disagree with most of your own views?
That is not what I asked Ray9. I’m sure he can answer for himself.

Last edited:

He might even disagree with Ray's lyrical interpretation. LOL

Tom Paine asked @Ray9:
your question implied he liked simon for his politics, and that isn't what he said at all. But hey, you keep thinking that's what he meant. I'm laughing at you.

Tom Paine asked @Ray9: “But will you at least acknowledge that the man you “Thanked” — Paul Simon — remains a liberal? That he would surely disagree with most of your own views?

You are my vintage. We remember Woodstock which I missed but two girls from my hometown home town got photographed in Life Magazine.

1588628607066.png

The two on the left, Anne and Nancy. They were younger than me. I was 22 and they used to watch me in the band. I'm guessing they are about 16. I kicked myself for missing that event. We had local gigs.

I did make it to the Summer Jam.

He might even disagree with Ray's lyrical interpretation. LOL
Music is all about interpretation

You are my vintage. We remember Woodstock which I missed but two girls from my hometown home town got photographed in Life Magazine.

View attachment 331932

The two on the left, Anne and Nancy. They were younger than me. I was 22 and they used to watch me in the band. I'm guessing they are about 16. I kicked myself for missing that event. We had local gigs.

I did make it to the Summer Jam.

I was there. Went with my younger brother, who begged me to go with him. We got separated. I was not exactly a happy camper. But I remember it all, starting with Richie Havens singing “Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom ... Sometimes I feel like a motherless child ... far, far from home.”

Just the year before I had been arrested and beaten by the cops, and left an Ivy League school. My family was lower middle class, so I was a big disappointment to everyone. I guess I sensed even back then that this amazing “youth movement” ... was a crock. Sure it was glorious, but it was also filthy ... and doomed. We were all part of it whether we liked it or not.

You were in a band? Very cool. I guess we are the same vintage, but in different bottles and with different tastes.

Last edited:
"My lack of education hasn't hurt me none". Yeah, that's a good phrase to live by. Maybe Simon will write something about sitting in your mom's basement until you are 30 playing video games.

You're an articulate fellow, however as a Paul Simon fan, I believe that you read into the meaning of his lyrics.
Sorry, but I don't want my kids or my grandkids to go through the "education" you envision.
You want your kids brainwashed by liberal teachers and professors. We need to fix our education system before it's too late and all the children are brainwashed.

What type of brainwashing are you talking about? Do you have an example?

Mostly RW funding cuts, low teacher pay creating high churn rates, elimination of classes like PE, Music, Civics and Government have hurt.

This is what YOU posted, dumbass:
The academic performance of American schoolchildren hasn't budged in two decades, despite billions of dollars in increased funding.

Society has deteriorated, so that means it is a net gain.

Where has that funding increase been spent?

Forum List

Back