Test out the new USMB Skin - Feedback appreciated

It sucks the Big One, frankly. Ugly, hard to read, and with a certain loss of features and functionality, even on my 27" monitor. I switched back to the old one. Thanks.
Awesome, glad you like the old one! It doesn't matter to me or anyone else which one you use :)

Working on a new skin. You can select it at the skin selector at the bottom of the page, via the User CP, or you can also select it by clicking this link: US Message Board 🦅 Political Discussion Forum

You can also click the 'Change Width' in the footer to set it to maximize the forum content up to 95% instead of being a fixed width. I prefer the non-fixed width version.

In addition, I'm going to set a maximum size on the signature. Right now I've got it set to 120 pixels max. If your signature is larger than that it will get clipped on the new skin. It will stay full size on the old skin.
Not bad.

Working on a new skin. You can select it at the skin selector at the bottom of the page, via the User CP, or you can also select it by clicking this link: US Message Board 🦅 Political Discussion Forum

You can also click the 'Change Width' in the footer to set it to maximize the forum content up to 95% instead of being a fixed width. I prefer the non-fixed width version.

In addition, I'm going to set a maximum size on the signature. Right now I've got it set to 120 pixels max. If your signature is larger than that it will get clipped on the new skin. It will stay full size on the old skin.
Your sign up date is almost as old as mine, but ive never seen you before. :laugh:

You can disable sigs in your acct settings.
Yes

uncheck

siggy.JPG

Your sign up date is almost as old as mine, but ive never seen you before. :laugh:
I usually work behind the scenes on the hardware and software. We recently upgraded the site to the newest version of software and improved the speed of the site. Doing a new skin is usually a pretty rare thing and thus, why I'm here making sure things go smoothly.

I like this one better, at least on the phone.

It’s smoother, slicker, more compact and moves faster.
💯 agreed. This was my goal with the new skin.

I usually work behind the scenes on the hardware and software. We recently upgraded the site to the newest version of software and improved the speed of the site. Doing a new skin is usually a pretty rare thing and thus, why I'm here making sure things go smoothly.
Sounds like you’re The Wolf

Next time you should not make this a default. Leave it the way it is, and allow a person to change it.
I spent 10 minutes mucking with this. I am asking for monetary compensation.

Expect a PM from my lawyer.

Good feedback. Change can be abrupt for some people. I've added a notice to the top of the page (that can be dismissed) that gives people instructions on how to change back to the old skin if they prefer it. Unfortunately, we have to make this new skin the default to enable it for guests and new members, which is what we want to do. Those who prefer the old skin are of course free to use it!

Awesome, glad you like the old one! It doesn't matter to me or anyone else which one you use :)

Some of the biggest problems with the new skin are:
  • Monotonous appearance. Too little color differentiation. Everything looks gray. Looked like a huge downgrade, frankly. Maybe it would work better on little cellphones?
  • Tiny truncated avatar and symbols instead of simple text in user's badge.
  • No 'Latest Discussions' section at the bottom.
  • The 'Alerts' drop down menu no longer shows read vs. unread messages.
  • General font too small and thin.
These were some of the worst changes I saw in the few minutes I used it.

lol I thought somebody had hacked my acct. I went back to the old one; I'm just used to it, I'm on a real PC, so it has always been fast and wide screen.

I like the look of it, but I don't like that it cut off my signature. I was just going to ask why that happened until I saw this thread and the OP. It makes a very important statement. Just as long as those who wish to use the old skin can see the full thing then I honestly don't care either way though. :dunno:

Some of the biggest problems with the new skin are:
  • Monotonous appearance. Too little color differentiation. Everything looks gray. Looked like a huge downgrade, frankly. Maybe it would work better on little cellphones?
  • Tiny truncated avatar and symbols instead of simple text in user's badge.
  • No 'Latest Discussions' section at the bottom.
  • The 'Alerts' drop down menu no longer shows read vs. unread messages.
  • General font too small and thin.
These were some of the worst changes I saw in the few minutes I used it.

Most of these are by design. The "postbit" area with the messages, join date, etc. actually takes up more room with text instead of the icon representation. Thusly, we kept the icons. Space savings. Same goes for most of your other issues.

This skin actually has more color differences than the previous skin. You can do a side by side comparison, but this is heavily opinionated so I'll just leave it at that.

The alerts drop down menu read vs. unread, that's a good point. I'm looking into that one right now.

Small font, again, preference.... space savings. Also an issue you can adjust on your own as I've mentioned before.

lol I thought somebody had hacked my acct. I went back to the old one; I'm just used to it, I'm on a real PC, so it has always been fast and wide screen.
Try the new skin and click "Change Width" at the bottom. You'll get an extra wide version of the skin which is the one that I use.

your outta a tree here? Its disgusting? would you like to put you in touch with men that know how to do it right? hahahaha gees-us- it's pathetic? lolol

Last edited:

Forum List

Back