Tell me again:which has a greater chance with greater damage; 1m barrels in a ship over 1 mile or

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
700 barrels traveling 1 mile on land?
With Keystone coming up I'm still confused why people can't seem to comprehend the difference!
Obviously most people on this forum weren't around on March 24,1989 or I would think they would readily
admit 700 barrels traveling one mile in the Keystone pipeline would be better then the Chinese sending one tanker holding 1m barrels a day through the upper Pacific Ocean.

The oil will be shipped. Which though would have the lesser damage? Which would have fewer chances of having a problem to cause the damage?
I've proven time and again pipelines of which CARRY nearly 80% of all Crude oil and petroleum products.. nearly 4 times carried by pipeline versus tankers..

Issue Brief 23 | Pipelines Are Safest For Transportation Of Oil And Gas

America depends on a network of more than 185,000 miles of liquid petroleum pipelines, nearly 320,000 miles of gas transmission pipelines, and more than 2 million miles of gas distribution pipelines to safely and efficiently move energy and raw materials to fuel our nation's economic engine.
Pipeline101 - Why-Do-We-Need-Pipelines
So again folks which would be safer and do less damage:
1m barrels traveling one mile on the open ocean or
700 barrels traveling one mile on land in a pipeline?

I am waiting for someone to prove to me that moving 1 million barrels on the open sea for one mile is safer then moving 700 barrels over one mile in a pipe on land.

I'm waiting. Let's look at it another way...
1 million barrels traveling one mile in something like this OR
Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 7.39.49 AM.png

700 barrels traveling in one mile in pipelines like the below 185,000 miles of liquid petroleum pipelines
Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 7.40.30 AM.png

It is going to go to China regardless so which way is more dangerous to the environment?

I really thrilled that you want to help with the oil and gas issue, in China where this gluck is headed.
My point has gone way over your head! which would you think is more dangerous???
Show me the numbers? And my point you missed. This oil don't help us at all, and no one has any clue how to clean up a spill, and it will spill, no question.

I really thrilled that you want to help with the oil and gas issue, in China where this gluck is headed.

Do you drive a vehicle..or use electricity?..

The world runs on oil. Hate it for you.
It does run on oil, which is the problem. It's why China wants this Canadian oil and why Canada wants this pipeline. They both get what we don't.

It does run on oil, which is the problem. It's why China wants this Canadian oil and why Canada wants this pipeline. They both get what we don't.

due to punitive EPA regulations obama has placed a defacto moratorium on drilling/exploration in the gulf....for a little while longer, anyway..that should change...
This nation could become 100% energy independent by producing even MORE of our own oil...and cheaper energy prices would also effect employment and improve the economy overall.

due to punitive EPA regulations obama has placed a defacto moratorium on drilling/exploration in the gulf....for a little while longer, anyway..that should change...
This nation could become 100% energy independent by producing even MORE of our own oil...and cheaper energy prices would also effect employment and improve the economy overall.
Show said regulations? Oh wait, there aren't any.

Show said regulations? Oh wait, there aren't any.

Oil and Gas Extraction Sector (NAICS 211)
Oil and gas extraction is part of the mining, quarrying, oil and gas extraction sector (NAICS 21). This sector comprises establishments that extract naturally occurring mineral solids, such as coal and ores; liquid minerals, such as crude petroleum; and gases, such as natural gas.

Laws and Regulations
Compliance
Enforcement
Related Business Sectors

My point has gone way over your head! which would you think is more dangerous???
Show me the numbers? And my point you missed. This oil don't help us at all, and no one has any clue how to clean up a spill, and it will spill, no question.

So 1 million barrels traveling in one oil tanker over 1 mile on the open seas is less dangerous the 700 barrels traveling one mile over land.
YOU have to be f...king stupid!

The problem with people like YOU is ONCE a simple fact regardless of WHO states it is made if it proves YOU wrong you are so small you can't admit you are wrong!
How stupid... ANY idiot with obviously a higher IQ then you KNOW that 1 million barrels is MORE then 700 barrels!

So 1 million barrels traveling in one oil tanker over 1 mile on the open seas is less dangerous the 700 barrels traveling one mile over land.

The problem with people like YOU is ONCE a simple fact regardless of WHO states it is made if it proves YOU wrong you are so small you can't admit you are wrong!
How stupid... ANY idiot with obviously a higher IQ then you KNOW that 1 million barrels is MORE then 700 barrels!
The safety of a system isn't known until you run the numbers. A ship a sea is pretty damn safe, usually. Bring the numbers, don't jump to conclusions.

Great, now show us what Obama put in that wasn't there before?
FACT here you dummy!
During Obama's term the share of U.S. oil production on federal lands has fallen to a five-year low, according to CRS,
from 33.8 percent in 2009 to only
23 percent last year.
The share of natural gas production on federal lands has also reached a five-year low of 15.2 percent last year — down from 24.9 percent in 2009.
Last year, the Obama administration sold the lowest amount of oil and gas leases since 1988 and approved the fewest drilling permits since 2002.
Getting a permit approved on federal lands take 194 days on average,
according to government data. Drilling permitting on state lands can take anywhere from a few days to about one month.
Oil and gas on federal lands is in free fall under Obama The Daily Caller

This for simpletons like you mean Obama could have helped make the USA energy independent by just signing oil leases on Federal Land as his
predecessors did... BUT NO... Obama hates the USA! Wants the USA to be MORE dependent on foreign oil!
Obviously why else would he sign fewer federal oil leases...
AND please don't use that stupid proven wrong statement again by the idiot in chief...

Obama (June 24):
The oil companies already own drilling rights to 68 million acres of federal lands, onshore and offshore, that they haven’t touched. 68 million acres that have the potential to nearly double America’s total oil production.

FACTS
That’s because these leased lands that don’t contain productive drilling operations likely are not lying idle as Obama implies.
There are a lot of steps and procedures involved in setting up a productive oil well on leased land, both onshore and off.
The Bureau of Land Management’s Web site lists the regulatory hurdles that need to be cleared as part of the larger five-step life cycle of a well.
The path to setting up an offshore drilling operation is even longer, as shown in a large flow chart developed by the MMS.

And there is a lot of activity occurring on leased lands that does not qualify as "production." For 2006, the BLM reported that there were 77,257 productive holes onshore in the U.S. Beyond that, there were 6,738 applications for drilling permits, 4,708 holes in which companies had begun drilling and 3,693 where drilling had ended among onshore lands. That’s a total of more than 15,000 holes that were being proposed, started or finished that do not count as "productive" holes.
Unused Offshore Potential

The safety of a system isn't known until you run the numbers. A ship a sea is pretty damn safe, usually. Bring the numbers, don't jump to conclusions.

FACTS NOT supposition and don't make generalizations until you are better educated.."A ship a sea is pretty damn safe"... "pretty Damn"???? Very precise!
List of oil spills - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia what kind of transportation have had the largest number AND largest amount of oil spills?
  • amount spilled % of total
  • in Barrels # by spilled Oil
  • 11,471,098 23 Ships or 73.0%
  • 3,882,203 8 drilling rig 24.7%
  • 195,564 17 pipeline 1.2%
  • 99,036 4 Terminal 0.6%
  • 75,228 4 Refinery 0.5%
  • 15,723,129 barrels
So again according the above list Tankers spill 73% of all the oil in the above list... Pipelines 1.2%

So again common sense and history show 1 million barrels by tanker over 1 mile has a greater chance of destroying a larger area then 700 barrels in one mile on land!

Forum List

Back