Tech gurus want California out of the Union

Having lived in Quebec for 40 years, I know what is required for a Province to separate from Canada, but I have no idea what is required for a State to separate from USA. Can anyone enlighten me.
Also, has it been attempted by any state in the 20th century.
Not and no.
1860....That was the last time a state or states attempted to secede from the union,
"With all fifty states offering petitions to the central government to leave the Union, the legality of secession is now front page news in the United States. Can a state legally secede from the Union? Many, including Supreme Court justice Antonin Scalia, suggest no. In a 2006 letter, available here, Scalia argued that a the question was not in the realm of legal possibility because 1) the United States would not be party to a lawsuit on the issue 2) the “constitutional” basis of secession had been “resolved by the Civil War,” and 3) there is no right to secede, as the Pledge of Allegiance clearly illustrates through the line “one nation, indivisible.”
Is Secession Legal?

Having lived in Quebec for 40 years, I know what is required for a Province to separate from Canada, but I have no idea what is required for a State to separate from USA. Can anyone enlighten me.
Also, has it been attempted by any state in the 20th century.
not to my knowledge

Civil War kind of ended that debate.

Still I would happily exempt California.

Sorry, I should of clarified. Is there any peaceful way to separate.

If they voted to secede, and the rest of the country voted to let them leave, it could be peaceful.

Well that didn't take long

Tech founders want California to secede after Trump win

Shervin Pishevar, an early Uber investor and cofounder of Hyperloop, posted a series of tweets Tuesday night announcing his plans to fund "a legitimate campaign for California to become its own nation."
And no, he's not joking.
"Yes it's serious," Pishevar told CNNMoney in an e-mail. "It's the most patriotic thing I can do. The country is [at] a serious crossroads."

I would LOVE California to be it's own country.

PLEASE DO THIS, CALIFORNIA!!

Id say let them secede.

Just the coast from LA to SF. The rest of the State would then be red

Yeah, losing Napa valley would suck though.

Well, it is north of SF, depends where we draw the border. Though having lived in the bay area, I prefer Sonoma. Sonoma's the next valley though so it may be both or neither. It's every bit as good without the snob appeal or the cost of Napa

Lol. Yeah I know. I've been on the Napa and the backside. I like the Lodi zinfandel the best.

How damn fickle. Last Night is was all about "STRONGER TOGETHER" and this morning when the sun comes up -- it's like "Don't let the door hit you in the ass"... They just wanted to get laid... That's all..
Well, when you are an effeminate white male liberal, you take what you can get.

Id say let them secede.

Well, it is north of SF, depends where we draw the border. Though having lived in the bay area, I prefer Sonoma. Sonoma's the next valley though so it may be both or neither. It's every bit as good without the snob appeal or the cost of Napa

Lol. Yeah I know. I've been on the Napa and the backside. I like the Lodi zinfandel the best.

Have you been to Silverado? Owned originally by I think it was Walt Disney's brother. Mondavi was good too. There are a lot of good wineries. The first time I was there I was pleasantly surprised to find several that had grappa. I developed a taste for it working in Europe but don't see it over here too much

Id say let them secede.

Have you been to Silverado? Owned originally by I think it was Walt Disney's brother. Mondavi was good too. There are a lot of good wineries. The first time I was there I was pleasantly surprised to find several that had grappa. I developed a taste for it working in Europe but don't see it over here too much

I didn't get to Silverado. Ill have to try it next summer when I'm out there. I did the boutiques, Peju, Elizabeth Spencer, plumpjack.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
There was a proposal floating around about creating separate mini countries within the USA, and one of those consisted of California, Oregon, Washington, and Nevada and I think New Mexico. Might be time, actually.

State of Washington has wanted to separate into 2 states, a time or two. West side (Seattle especially) is Dem majority while the East side is predominately Republican

I love this thread... so many people want to just get rid of California, like petulant children. Oh yeah, California pays the highest amount of Federal taxes of any state in the U.S.

Ha, if California seceded then the republicans would have a stranglehold on the rest of the nation afterward.

Id say let them secede.

I agree. Let em leave. No one will miss them and jus think. They would have to support all those illegals using no Federal Money.

Hell. bankruptcy anyone??

Wrong, they provide more Federal money than any other state in the U.S.

Not if they secede from the union. They will have to use California taxes to support these people and the freeloaders without any US Fed money.

Id say let them secede.

I agree. Let em leave. No one will miss them and jus think. They would have to support all those illegals using no Federal Money.

Not if they secede from the union. They will have to use California taxes to support these people and the freeloaders without any US Fed money.

They more than cover their own state... in 2012 they gave $292 billion dollars.

Well that didn't take long

Tech founders want California to secede after Trump win

Shervin Pishevar, an early Uber investor and cofounder of Hyperloop, posted a series of tweets Tuesday night announcing his plans to fund "a legitimate campaign for California to become its own nation."
And no, he's not joking.
"Yes it's serious," Pishevar told CNNMoney in an e-mail. "It's the most patriotic thing I can do. The country is [at] a serious crossroads."
lol Epic tech guru failure.

I love this thread... so many people want to just get rid of California, like petulant children. Oh yeah, California pays the highest amount of Federal taxes of any state in the U.S.

The tech people are the ones crying and gnashing their teeth about leaving.

And to be quite honest I don't blame them. Trump has just said that he plans to kill many of their businesses by getting rid of plans by the government to look for renewable resources. Trump also wants to get rid of the Secretary of Education. Trump supporters who think Trump wants this country to get great again, really don't know what they are getting. Trump wants to turn back technology, hurt education, and help big businesses.

Id say let them secede.

They more than cover their own state... in 2012 they gave $292 billion dollars.

Good for them because they would need every dime.

Forum List

Back