Teacher calls cops on online student for seeing a gun in the background

That teacher should be fired on the spot

no question asked

enough is enough!
Not sure about firing, but the teacher and the principal need to have a counseling statement and a policy should be be in place and signed individually by both of them. While having camera to have contact with the student may be and probably is important, it is an invasion of the family home, with the teacher as an uninvited guest observer. Teacher's have no right to sick the cops of a kid or his family. It is not bringing a gun to school. Most of the guys on this board had air rifles and actual small arms for hunting, growing up. Remote classroom is not cart blanch to inflict a teacher's values on how children are raised in the home.
I find this disturbing, as my grand daughters will be have their remote schooling, here at this console in my study, starting Monday. Even though all they will see are several book cases and my schwinn Exercise bike, it seems like an invasion of my space.
Who knew teachers spying on student like SS officers would be an issue with online schooling? And now a parent is not entitled to see what is in the school file on their child?

......... According to Sperry, the spy teacher took a screenshot of the boy’s bedroom, which is incredibly creepy and a violation of the family’s privacy. When the mother demanded to see the screenshot taken by the creeper-teacher, she was told she would not be allowed to view it because it wasn’t part of his official school record.

“It’s absolutely scary to think about,” Sperry said. “Who are on these calls? Who do we have viewing [our] children and subsequently taking these screenshots that can be sent anywhere or used for any purpose?”

She told PJ Media that she decided to go public in order “to push for policy change and make parents aware” of possible violations of privacy during online classes.

This incident raises some serious questions about privacy related to virtual learning. Teachers (and perhaps others who might be watching) are granted access to children’s homes and even their bedrooms. It appears from this incident that there were no rules in place preventing the teacher from taking pictures of his bedroom. How many students has this teacher spied on? How many screenshots has she taken of them during virtual classes? Has she amassed a database of her students’ home situations?

“I have explained to my son that he did nothing wrong,” Sperry said. “He said, ‘I’m just sad because I thought the teachers were my friends.'”

The school refused to comment on the specific case but told Fox Baltimore, “There are multiple ways for families to share concerns with us. In general terms, the safety of students and staff is our chief concern, whether we are meeting in classrooms or via continuity of learning.”

“So, what are the parameters? Where are the lines drawn?” Sperry wants to know. “If my son is sitting at the kitchen island next to a butcher block, does that constitute a weapon? It’s not allowed at school, right? So, would my home then be searched because he’s sitting next to a butcher block? I feel like parents need to be made aware of what the implications are, what the expectations are.” ......More at link

That teacher possibly prevented a very volatile situation. Wouldn't you like to know if your 11 year old had a gun on his desk?
If you read the article you would know that the bb guns were on the wall in the background. It is a total violation of the privacy of the home. No excuses for this kind of crap. "For your own good" isn't working nor wanted by the majority and it sure as hell won't be accepted as the new normal.

What if the teacher notices bruises/marks on the child that are a sign of child abuse? Should they not report it because it's a violation of privacy?
Sure should. Completely different than seeing guns or knives on the walls. If she had questions, she should have contacted parents and inquired if she chose, but the teacher and principal were wrong in this case. It could have been avoided if the teacher had contacted parents. Let me know when your scenario takes place.

I agree the teacher should have contacted their principal about the situation first and then let them handle it. I think the teacher handled the situation incorrectly, but my point was that the teacher should have done something.

My response was geared toward the people claiming it's none of the teacher's business. They say that until a teacher ignores an actual gun in a teenager's bedroom and that teacher then commits suicide and then everyone wants to know why teacher did nothing.
based on the failure of teachers to actually do their job and teach
both you and that teacher need to mind your own business and fuck off,,,

As a teacher if I knowingly ignore signs of a child living in an abusive household I've violating the law. Fact.
sure,,but having a gun isnt abuse,,,

Where did I say it was?
thats what the topic is about,,,

Which is why I did not say the teacher should have reported the incident to the school's social worker (and definitely not the police) but rather the principal.

You still an unsupervised minor with a gun in their bedroom. That warrants a heads up to the principal who can then contact the parents. If that child commits suicide (It does happen) then that teacher has to explain how they potentially saw a warning sign but failed to report it...which guess what? Is against the law.
I've had a gun in my bedroom since I was 13 yrs old,,,
unless there is a GOOD reason to think abuse is happening they should mind their own business,,
a gun on the wall isnt enough,,,

That's fine but the bottom line is that if that kid kills himself-that teacher is facing severe legal consequences and loses their certification. Now we can argue whether the laws should be that way or not, but it is the way it's currently in place. The teacher would have no choice by to report it to their school if they want to follow the law. Teachers are mandatory reporters.

I too am a gun owner....I don't see how that's relevant to the topic just like yours isn't really relevant but I figured I'd be transparent.
if it didnt happen at school they arent responsible,,,
Problem is they are considering that students home the school now. Very invasive.
extremely invasive,,,

no question asked

enough is enough!
Not sure about firing, but the teacher and the principal need to have a counseling statement and a policy should be be in place and signed individually by both of them. While having camera to have contact with the student may be and probably is important, it is an invasion of the family home, with the teacher as an uninvited guest observer. Teacher's have no right to sick the cops of a kid or his family. It is not bringing a gun to school. Most of the guys on this board had air rifles and actual small arms for hunting, growing up. Remote classroom is not cart blanch to inflict a teacher's values on how children are raised in the home.
I find this disturbing, as my grand daughters will be have their remote schooling, here at this console in my study, starting Monday. Even though all they will see are several book cases and my schwinn Exercise bike, it seems like an invasion of my space.
Who knew teachers spying on student like SS officers would be an issue with online schooling? And now a parent is not entitled to see what is in the school file on their child?

......... According to Sperry, the spy teacher took a screenshot of the boy’s bedroom, which is incredibly creepy and a violation of the family’s privacy. When the mother demanded to see the screenshot taken by the creeper-teacher, she was told she would not be allowed to view it because it wasn’t part of his official school record.

“It’s absolutely scary to think about,” Sperry said. “Who are on these calls? Who do we have viewing [our] children and subsequently taking these screenshots that can be sent anywhere or used for any purpose?”

She told PJ Media that she decided to go public in order “to push for policy change and make parents aware” of possible violations of privacy during online classes.

This incident raises some serious questions about privacy related to virtual learning. Teachers (and perhaps others who might be watching) are granted access to children’s homes and even their bedrooms. It appears from this incident that there were no rules in place preventing the teacher from taking pictures of his bedroom. How many students has this teacher spied on? How many screenshots has she taken of them during virtual classes? Has she amassed a database of her students’ home situations?

“I have explained to my son that he did nothing wrong,” Sperry said. “He said, ‘I’m just sad because I thought the teachers were my friends.'”

The school refused to comment on the specific case but told Fox Baltimore, “There are multiple ways for families to share concerns with us. In general terms, the safety of students and staff is our chief concern, whether we are meeting in classrooms or via continuity of learning.”

“So, what are the parameters? Where are the lines drawn?” Sperry wants to know. “If my son is sitting at the kitchen island next to a butcher block, does that constitute a weapon? It’s not allowed at school, right? So, would my home then be searched because he’s sitting next to a butcher block? I feel like parents need to be made aware of what the implications are, what the expectations are.” ......More at link

That teacher possibly prevented a very volatile situation. Wouldn't you like to know if your 11 year old had a gun on his desk?
If you read the article you would know that the bb guns were on the wall in the background. It is a total violation of the privacy of the home. No excuses for this kind of crap. "For your own good" isn't working nor wanted by the majority and it sure as hell won't be accepted as the new normal.

What if the teacher notices bruises/marks on the child that are a sign of child abuse? Should they not report it because it's a violation of privacy?
Sure should. Completely different than seeing guns or knives on the walls. If she had questions, she should have contacted parents and inquired if she chose, but the teacher and principal were wrong in this case. It could have been avoided if the teacher had contacted parents. Let me know when your scenario takes place.

I agree the teacher should have contacted their principal about the situation first and then let them handle it. I think the teacher handled the situation incorrectly, but my point was that the teacher should have done something.

My response was geared toward the people claiming it's none of the teacher's business. They say that until a teacher ignores an actual gun in a teenager's bedroom and that teacher then commits suicide and then everyone wants to know why teacher did nothing.

As a teacher if I knowingly ignore signs of a child living in an abusive household I've violating the law. Fact.

Where did I say it was?

Which is why I did not say the teacher should have reported the incident to the school's social worker (and definitely not the police) but rather the principal.

You still an unsupervised minor with a gun in their bedroom. That warrants a heads up to the principal who can then contact the parents. If that child commits suicide (It does happen) then that teacher has to explain how they potentially saw a warning sign but failed to report it...which guess what? Is against the law.
unless there is a GOOD reason to think abuse is happening they should mind their own business,,

That's fine but the bottom line is that if that kid kills himself-that teacher is facing severe legal consequences and loses their certification. Now we can argue whether the laws should be that way or not, but it is the way it's currently in place. The teacher would have no choice by to report it to their school if they want to follow the law. Teachers are mandatory reporters.

I too am a gun owner....I don't see how that's relevant to the topic just like yours isn't really relevant but I figured I'd be transparent.

That legally is not true. Again if you don't think it should be is one thing, but it doesn't change the reality of the laws in place in most states. What should be is not always what is. If I have a student who tells me they have access to a gun and I say nothing and they kill themselves or somebody else-I'm put in a situation where I lose my certification and face legal consequences. Right or wrong, that's the way it goes.

no question asked

enough is enough!

Where did I say it was?

That legally is not true. Again if you don't think it should be is one thing, but it doesn't change the reality of the laws in place in most states. What should be is not always what is. If I have a student who tells me they have access to a gun and I say nothing and they kill themselves or somebody else-I'm put in a situation where I lose my certification and face legal consequences. Right or wrong, that's the way it goes.
curious what law says that???

Public schools are at best, trash, and at worst, outright evil.

I've known this since the 70's when those fucks were locking me in closets, and lying their asses off when I complained.

no question asked

enough is enough!

Where did I say it was?

As you can see if a child is left at home without supervision in a potentially dangerous situation (a minor with a firearm unsupervised) that falls under neglect on the poster. The teacher would face a felony and losing their certification. Almost every state has laws concerning this. Also keep in mind that just because something isn't listed specifically doesn't mean we're not required to report. For example if a kid hands me a suicide note, comes to school with unexplained bruises often, or is being neglected by parents (such as malnutrition) we're required to report all of that and personally I've reported all of that.

It would not be difficult for a lawyer to make the case that a child left unattended with a gun is an example of neglect on the case of the parents and that the teacher should have notified somebody.

Again, personally I would relay the information to my principal and let them follow through with it if they deem it necessary, but if I don't I'm risking a lot.

no question asked

enough is enough!

Where did I say it was?

As you can see if a child is left at home without supervision in a potentially dangerous situation (a minor with a firearm unsupervised) that falls under neglect on the poster. The teacher would face a felony and losing their certification. Almost every state has laws concerning this. Also keep in mind that just because something isn't listed specifically doesn't mean we're not required to report. For example if a kid hands me a suicide note, comes to school with unexplained bruises often, or is being neglected by parents (such as malnutrition) we're required to report all of that and personally I've reported all of that.

It would not be difficult for a lawyer to make the case that a child left unattended with a gun is an example of neglect on the case of the parents and that the teacher should have notified somebody.

Again, personally I would relay the information to my principal and let them follow through with it if they deem it necessary, but if I don't I'm risking a lot.
"Again, personally I would relay the information to my principal and let them follow through with it if they deem it necessary, but if I don't I'm risking a lot."

i can agree with this to a point,,

in this case according to the pictures the parents were well aware of what he had in his room and a rational person would just skip over it and not report it to anyone,,,

no question asked

enough is enough!

Very true. There was no indication of in the related story.

no question asked

enough is enough!

Where did I say it was?

"Again, personally I would relay the information to my principal and let them follow through with it if they deem it necessary, but if I don't I'm risking a lot."

in this case according to the pictures the parents were well aware of what he had in his room and a rational person would just skip over it and not report it to anyone,,,

I don't disagree with you and again I think the teacher obviously went too far in contacting the police. My point is more of a CYA by informing your principal and whatever they determine to do is on them and the district.

For me it's not worth risking my certification, job, financial security and even becoming a convicted felon of my family if I make a judgment call and it turns out to be wrong in the mind of some batshit crazy judge.

I'd like to think that rational mindedness would prevail, but that's not the teacher's place to determine that.

FWIW as stated I'm a gun owner and a parent (my children are too young to handle firearms at the moment but when they're older I will be teaching them how to properly use and handle them) and don't see it as neglect...but that doesn't mean others wont.

no question asked

enough is enough!

Where did I say it was?

I don't disagree with you and again I think the teacher obviously went too far in contacting the police. My point is more of a CYA by informing your principal and whatever they determine to do is on them and the district.

For me it's not worth risking my certification, job, financial security and even becoming a convicted felon of my family if I make a judgment call and it turns out to be wrong in the mind of some batshit crazy judge.
I guess for me its more of a human thing that if you see a kid playing with a gun and he has a history,,of course you make some phone calls,, but like you said this one went way to far,,at best the teacher can call the parent and ask to not have them in the background,,,

no question asked

enough is enough!

Where did I say it was?

I guess for me its more of a human thing that if you see a kid playing with a gun and he has a history,,of course you make some phone calls,, but like you said this one went way to far,,at best the teacher can call the parent and ask to not have them in the background,,,

I'd agree with that.

I was a very young child when my father bought a rifle. My two younger siblings and I always knew where that rifle was, and where the ammunition for it was, and any of us, at any time, could have easily gained access to it. None of us ever shot anyone, or in any way misused that rifle.

My wife has a shotgun, that her parents gave her as a Christmas present when she was eight years old.

She's never shot anyone either.

A gun visible in a home where a child lives, is not evidence of any danger that is anyone else's business.

I was a very young child when my father bought a rifle. My two younger siblings and I always knew where that rifle was, and where the ammunition for it was, and any of us, at any time, could have easily gained access to it. None of us ever shot anyone, or in any way misused that rifle.

My wife has a shotgun, that her parents gave her as a Christmas present when she was eight years old.

She's never shot anyone either.

A gun visible in a home where a child lives, is not evidence of any danger that is anyone else's business.

Your anecdotes are true for the overwhelming majority of people...but not for everybody. A visible gun in a home is one thing, a visbile gun in the bedroom as a child is a different scenario. I'm not suggesting it's abusive...but as I said if a teacher lets that slide and that child ends up killing themselves (which does happen)-that teacher is now facing a felony charge, loses their career, loses their certification, and has their family affected forever-right or wrong that's the reality of the world today. This isn't the 50's, or 60's anymore.

It's asinine to expect a teacher to take all of that risk just so they don't offend the parents who're asked by the school "hey did you know your kid has a gun in their room?" "Yes I do." "Ok cool, just checking".

The teacher wasn’t invited into the home. She shouldn’t pay attention to anything except the student’s face and the school work if necessary. Anything else is a invasion of privacy at best and a warrantless search at worst. What she observes in a public place like a school is one thing, what she observes peeping into a child’s bedroom is another.

The teacher wasn’t invited into the home. She shouldn’t pay attention to anything except the student’s face and the school work if necessary. Anything else is a invasion of privacy at best and a warrantless search at worst. What she observes in a public place like a school is one thing, what she observes peeping into a child’s bedroom is another.

If the teacher saw heroin and needles in the room should they just ignore it?

it seems like an invasion of my space.
My daughter is long out of these situations but if I had to deal with it, I'd erect a blank screen, even a simple bedsheet immediately behind her where the view of the room was blocked. The fact that power corrupts seems to be a lesson we have to revisit over and over...

“The officers were more than nice,” she wrote, “and though they did not have a warrant, I have always been taught to not only comply, but had nothing to hide and allowed them to look wherever they wanted to.”

I used to be this way. Even where I live, I'd never do this today. I support law enforcement and have always been willing to give the benefit of the doubt in situations where they seem to have over-stepped but the world has changed too much to ignore the drift into tyranny in all government these days. As a child, I was taught that police were our friends. That isn't the case any longer except in VERY limited situations. Only a fool would invite LEOs into their home these days.
If it's important enough an issue for them to need to come inside, it's important enough for them to take the time to get a warrant.

My daughter is long out of these situations but if I had to deal with it, I'd erect a blank screen, even a simple bedsheet immediately behind her where the view of the room was blocked. The fact that power corrupts seems to be a lesson we have to revisit over and over...
You don't have to go to all that trouble. You can put a virtual background on the screen that serves the same purpose.

Should not have to do that, but might be safest.

Forum List

Back