Supreme Court justices appear skeptical of California animal welfare law

You are supposed to address it.

Then why the comment "Ok, so you didn't counter anything I said"?

But just so I am clear..........if a state wishes to not have a product sold in state that is produced where they believe the animals are treated poorly, that should not be a states rights issue?

I agree with that. If California voters don't want it, it's their right not to buy it, and the farmers will just have to deal with it.

But here's the problem California's going to run into: According to the article, 99% of all pork sold in California comes from outside California. Now, out of state pork producers refuse to invest the money to adhere to the law in California, they will certainly take a hit if California stops bring pork in from other states, but they'll survive it. Those producers within California will raise their prices simply because there's no reason not to. They'll have pretty much no competition.

And how long will it take before Californians get sick and tired of pay $15 a pound for bacon?

Then why the comment "Ok, so you didn't counter anything I said"?

I agree with that. If California voters don't want it, it's their right not to buy it, and the farmers will just have to deal with it.

But here's the problem California's going to run into: According to the article, 99% of all pork sold in California comes from outside California. Now, out of state pork producers refuse to invest the money to adhere to the law in California, they will certainly take a hit if California stops bring pork in from other states, but they'll survive it. Those producers within California will raise their prices simply because there's no reason not to. They'll have pretty much no competition.

And how long will it take before Californians get sick and tired of pay $15 a pound for bacon?

Which will be the governors problem. They way it should be.

Mr. Filburn? Is that you?
There's no question at all that CA's law has an effect on interstate commerce and as such, is, at worst, subject to review by the USSC.
Given past ICC rulings , and the current court, it seems exceptionally likely that the CA restriction will be struck.

(if you don’t get the Filburn reference: Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942) )

I hope it passes. In ALL 50 states.
Many who care about more than themselves would switch parties if either party showed more compassion for the animals.
The one thing I detest most about the Right is it's blood lust and unbelieveable love for killing things. Anything. Gives them orgasms.
Notice how many put gun violence or gun worship right into their Avatars.
Swine, by the way, are HIGHLY intelligent among animals.. Like on a 5-6 year old human child level.

You're saying doing that to 5 and 6 year old humans is just fine with you for all intents and purposes.
Comes as no surprise that God seems to be brutally punishing the Right. They deserve it.
The silver lining is most of the pork lovers will die early and be fat unhealthy, disgusting slobs for much of their lives.

fat guntard.jpg

Last edited:
Contributes to my tasty grilled cheese.

Besides, I really don't think the $7.99 I paid for a pound of it is going to sway the balance of power...
Yeah, short sighted. When you and a million more people do, it adds up. But what the hey, when you are forced to learn Mandarin, you can say it was only $7.99.

Yeah, short sighted. When you and a million more people do, it adds up. But what the hey, when you are forced to learn Mandarin, you can say it was only $7.99.

Yeah, that's what's gonna' happen.

So, there's not a single thing in your home that was made in China (which, by the way, Smithfield bacon is not)?

Yeah, that's what's gonna' happen.

So, there's not a single thing in your home that was made in China (which, by the way, Smithfield bacon is not)?
Nope, Smithfield is the largest pork producer in the world. Owned by the Chinese because Obama admin allowed the sale. They also own Bar S, Armour, Nathan's, John Morrell, Hormel. Jimmie Dean, Oscar Meyer. It takes study. And yes there are Chinese products in my home, but I haven't purchased a Chinese made product that I could find a domestically produced item in at least 10 years.

Nope, Smithfield is the largest pork producer in the world. Owned by the Chinese because Obama admin allowed the sale. They also own Bar S, Armour, Nathan's, John Morrell, Hormel. Jimmie Dean, Oscar Meyer.

Pretty sure my bacon comes from North Carolina. I'll have to check the package the next time I buy some...

And yes there are Chinese products in my home, but I haven't purchased a Chinese made product that I could find a domestically produced item in at least 10 years.

I see, so you're a hypocrite.

Why do you support the trade deficit with China?

Pretty sure my bacon comes from North Carolina. I'll have to check the package the next time I buy some...

I see, so you're a hypocrite.

Why do you support the trade deficit with China?
Your bacon may come from NC but the profit goes to China--deficit. You could get bacon that is produced by American owned companies as well. Your attempt to justify your stupidity has nothing to do with hypocrisy. I made my position very clear.

Your bacon may come from NC but the profit goes to China--deficit.

The profits from Smithfield go back into Smithfield, which operates as an independent subsidiary and which is headquartered in North Carolina, providing jobs for thousands of Americans.

The acquisition of Smithfield by Shuanghui Group (now known as WH Group) was driven largely by the inability of Chinese farmers to raise enough pigs to satisfy the demand of the Chinese market. In 2012, the Chinese ate just over 83 pounds of pork per person compared to just under 60 pounds per person in the United States.

WH didn't want the money that Smithfield generated, it wanted the pork.

Do you honestly think m,y breakfast in funding more missiles for China?

You could get bacon that is produced by American owned companies as well. Your attempt to justify your stupidity has nothing to do with hypocrisy. I made my position very clear.

The only thing I'm justifying is my desire to have tasty bacon.

Like it or not, until you have no Chinese products in your home, your whining will fall on deaf ears...

Forum List

Back