Summer Olympics

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Well, the games will go on, but spectators from out of country will not be allowed to attend. Some people feel it would be better to just call them off entirely.

Next up the winter games, which may well be boycotted by a number of countries.

Gotta suck for these athletes who have been training all their lives for this.

Well, the games will go on, but spectators from out of country will not be allowed to attend. Some people feel it would be better to just call them off entirely.

No kidding. Sometimes you only get one shot. For that reason I hope they're not called off, and I'd hate to see the Winter Games boycotted or cancelled, although I suppose a strong case coujld be made for it...

No kidding. Sometimes you only get one shot. For that reason I hope they're not called off, and I'd hate to see the Winter Games boycotted or cancelled, although I suppose a strong case coujld be made for it...
I remember the boycotts back in the 80s. They didn't result in political change.

I can see giving the athletes their shot at competing. They work too hard and their olympic careers are too short to just start taking opportunities away. But it pisses me off that some asshole, MSM network will get a windfall for covering it. MSM blows.

(The Olympics) "It's a movement.. and everyone needs one!" - Harry Shearer (every week going on decades..)

Boycotting the Olympics has never resulted in any change except a tit for tax retribution for the next Olympics. As you point out, athletes train for years and then just have their one moment of glory yanked from them.

The politicalization of the Olympics is nothing new. Starting with Germany, then the USSR and the onset of the Cold War, the Olympics has been used as a propaganda tool. But the athletes kept coming, competing and experiencing.camaraderie. I think that makes it worthwhile.

What makes the Olympics just more exciting is the roar of the crowd. The excitement, the opening ceremonies, it is all very infectious. Would it be the same in an empty stadium? Probably not though professional sports marched on despite these same issues.

At any rate, I look forward to the Olympics.

I remember the boycotts back in the 80s. They didn't result in political change.

Exactly...

Pretty much. "Not just the richer nations" says my wife, "richer people!"
;) Those darn wealthy Ethiopians they get all the medals in track and field.
Yep, extremely rich. Even for Ethiopians.
Coach says around 17,000 people live in the town of Bekoji; there are 25 car owners and he knows all of them. The landscape looks arid but is incredibly fertile. Everything grows here – oil seeds, coffee, tea, spices, sugar cane, cotton, cereals. The centre of Bekoji sits 10,500 feet above sea level and has an average temperature of 66 degrees. Its inhabitants are proud of its climate and special air. On arriving, I find it hard to breathe, but when I do manage to gulp some in, I quickly realise how crisp and pure it is. If you can run here, they say, you can run anywhere.
Where everything grows and the air is clean, who needs money? I sure wouldn't.

Last edited:
The olympics is just a big powers masturbation exercise and pretty much every medal is won by the richer nations. Fuck the olympics.
You shove a caveat like "pretty much" right in their goddamn faces and some'll go there anyway.. every time.. WTF is wrong with these people??

Forum List

Back