Student has homework assignment to say she wants to be Muslim

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Stepfather refuses to let his child do homework on Islam | Daily Mail Online

'Write letter to family about converting to Islam': Furious stepfather refuses to let his stepdaughter, 12, complete her homework after she is asked to pen them a note about becoming a Muslim
  • Mark McLachlan found the homework task in his stepdaughter's school planner
  • She was to write a letter to her family explaining why she has become a Muslim
  • He was furious and refused to let her finish it, saying it was 'wholly inappropriate'

I find some interesting stuff when browsing in the wee hours over the internet, lol.

'Write letter to family about converting to Islam': Furious stepfather refuses to let his stepdaughter, 12, complete her homework after she is asked to pen them a note about becoming a Muslim
  • She was to write a letter to her family explaining why she has become a Muslim
  • He was furious and refused to let her finish it, saying it was 'wholly inappropriate'

I find some interesting stuff when browsing in the wee hours over the internet, lol.

Yeah, I mean, imagine if she had to read Harry Potter too, wow, shocking stuff this fiction nonsense. Children must know that EVERYTHING they do must be real, no cartoons, no fiction books, nothing, yeah, we'll become like... well... like radical Islam.

Hope the father goes down to school and beats the teachers ass with the principle.

Teachers have no business butting in to children's spiritual beliefs. That is the parents duty..not theirs.

Hope the father goes down to school and beats the teachers ass with the principle.

Yeah, because writing a piece of fiction is WORSE than beating someone.

Where do you people come from?

Teachers have no business butting in to children's spiritual beliefs. That is the parents duty..not theirs.

Well, as much as the assignment could have been presented in a better manner, it sounds like the aims of the assignment are to write about Islam and to do it in a more creative and engaging manner.

I hope you don't have children.

I don't think it is appropriate because the US is a secular state and this is an assignment about religion. Religion needs to be kept out of the classroom, unless it is a private religious school. I imagine the teacher's motivation was to make kids think about another religion without condeming it, but this is not the way to do do it.

That's a very inappropirate statement. Nothing I've seen would make you a better parent than anyone else.

Well, as much as the assignment could have been presented in a better manner, it sounds like the aims of the assignment are to write about Islam and to do it in a more creative and engaging manner.
Fine. But to write an essay about wanting to become such and such to their parents? WTF for??? Its an asinine idea and should not be part of any curriculum. Leave religion OUT of the school. Thats what they have been fighting for, right? No commandments, no prayers, no anything. But now all of a sudden its AOK to have kids write a fake announcement to becoming a certain religion? Gimme a break.

Why's that Gracie?

Is it because I have a brain and wouldn't bring them up to be Republican worshipers?

Harry Potter and the like is seen as evil by many extreme religious people. It deals with magic and the like, a very un-Christian thing in their view. It's fiction.

When you learn about other religions you write about them, you write about the features of those religions in order to gain an understanding.

Problem is some people don't want kids to be tolerant, do they?

Fine. But to write an essay about wanting to become such and such to their parents? WTF for??? Its an asinine idea and should not be part of any curriculum. Leave religion OUT of the school. Thats what they have been fighting for, right? No commandments, no prayers, no anything. But now all of a sudden its AOK to have kids write a fake announcement to becoming a certain religion? Gimme a break.

Like I said, it could have been presented in a better manner. Problem is teachers are often overworked and when you're overworked you don't always have time to think about all the consequences of your actions.

No, don't leave religion out of education. Kids need to learn about other people's beliefs and try and understand different people's viewpoints. It's actually a good subject to get kids thinking about things and seeing different sides of the same argument.

They don't need to pray, they need to think about why people pray and also why others don't.

Is it okay to write fiction?

If I asked kids to write about being a wizard, would that also be not okay for you?

No one has said it is okay. Do you see the left supporting this assignment? The motivation is most likely for students to look at Islam from the perspective of a Muslim, thus hoping to create a more enlightened and knowledgeable environment. Too many Americans have very skewed ideas about Islam.

But this was not an appropriate assignment. The most appropriate thing would be for this to be studied in a social studies class that studies world religions from a fact based perspective and let the students decide what they think. However, at the high school/middle school level, there isn't enough time for a curriculum that includes such specific courses; they are more likely to have such courses at the college level. High school has world history, American history, history of Western civilization, European history. That's about it.

No one has said it is okay. Do you see the left supporting this assignment? The motivation is most likely for students to look at Islam from the perspective of a Muslim, thus hoping to create a more enlightened and knowledgeable environment. Too many Americans have very skewed ideas about Islam.

But this was not an appropriate assignment. The most appropriate thing would be for this to be studied in a social studies class that studies world religions from a fact based perspective and let the students decide what they think. However, at the high school/middle school level, there isn't enough time for a curriculum that includes such specific courses; they are more likely to have such courses at the college level. High school has world history, American history, history of Western civilization, European history. That's about it.

The biggest problem here is that kids study traditional subjects. Subjects can be used as tools for certain skills, but more often than not the teachers get so used to teaching the subject rather than teaching what is necessary. To be honest a single teacher cannot cope with designing a course that is relevant for this, it needs a whole group of teachers, statewide or nationwide to get together and make something like this happen.

Learning skills and using certain subjects would be the right way forward. Were the skills to be learned made clear, then such an assignment wouldn't be so ridiculous at all.

Like I said, it could have been presented in a better manner. Problem is teachers are often overworked and when you're overworked you don't always have time to think about all the consequences of your actions.

No, don't leave religion out of education. Kids need to learn about other people's beliefs and try and understand different people's viewpoints. It's actually a good subject to get kids thinking about things and seeing different sides of the same argument.

They don't need to pray, they need to think about why people pray and also why others don't.

If I asked kids to write about being a wizard, would that also be not okay for you?
No. Kids need to learn spiritual matters from their parents. Not some teacher in a school. Just like it is not the teachers duty to spank a child. That is also the parents job. There needs to be a line here somewhere that cannot be crossed. Alas, there isn't. Which is why if I had kids that were school age...they would be home schooled.

No. Kids need to learn spiritual matters from their parents. Not some teacher in a school. Just like it is not the teachers duty to spank a child. That is also the parents job. There needs to be a line here somewhere that cannot be crossed. Alas, there isn't. Which is why if I had kids that were school age...they would be home schooled.

This isn't spiritual stuff. This is about tolerance, understand. Religion is a part of the world, you can't just ignore it.

This isn't spiritual stuff. This is about tolerance, understand. Religion is a part of the world, you can't just ignore it.
Oh yes I can, and so would my kid when at school if I had one. And yes, it is spiritual stuff. That is NOT a teachers job!!

The biggest problem here is that kids study traditional subjects. Subjects can be used as tools for certain skills, but more often than not the teachers get so used to teaching the subject rather than teaching what is necessary. To be honest a single teacher cannot cope with designing a course that is relevant for this, it needs a whole group of teachers, statewide or nationwide to get together and make something like this happen.

Learning skills and using certain subjects would be the right way forward. Were the skills to be learned made clear, then such an assignment wouldn't be so ridiculous at all.

The basics are important, and there really isn't time for courses as specific as teaching about different religions. I taught for 30 years. Most teachers are quite creative but do need to stay within curriculum requirements, as well as stay within the guidelines of a secular society. I taught for 14 years in international schools, including schools in Muslim countries. What international schools do is deal with tolerance and internationalism though celebrating the various international days such as:

International Religion Day
International Freedom Day
International Environmental Education Day
International Customs Day
Women's Day
UN Day
International Peace Day
etc.

Usually includes a big deal assembly, bulletin boards around the school, bake sales, and so on. High school students especially do not have the time to devote much more in class than what they need to meet graduation requirements and prepare for university. However, their participation in such events as listed above can be put on college applications, so they often participate as an extra-curricular activity.

I note that this occurred in Britain. If it occurred, and not presented in the article out of context, it should never have happened. Over here, in the U.S., it shows why we should never have religion in our schools and any of the school districts that allow our U.S. students to be directed toward one religion or the other, including holding mandatory assemblies that feature religious speakers and teachers who lead their students in "prayer," should be punished. A child's religious upbringing should be in the hands of the parents, so no scripture reading or prayer should be part of a student's school day.

Forum List

Back