Student debt forgiveness should be funded by fraudulent colleges that sold worthless degrees, instead of by innocent taxpayers

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
This is my own writing:

Student debt forgiveness should be funded by fraudulent colleges that sold worthless degrees, instead of by innocent taxpayers​

By Daniel Alman (aka Dan from Squirrel Hill)

January 17, 2022

Democrats think that innocent taxpayers should be forced to pay off student debt.

I think this is a horrible idea.

I’m a Libertarian, which means that I am against punishing innocent taxpayers.

It also means that I, unlike Democrats, understand the horrible incentives that would be created if innocent taxpayers were forced to pay off student debt. Such a policy would encourage colleges to raise their tuitions even more than they already have, and would also encourage future students to borrow even more money than what had been borrowed by past students. This would make the problem of student debt worse, not better.

By comparison, my proposal would not do these harmful things. On the contrary, my proposal would cause colleges to think very hard before they encourage their students and potential students to borrow money. It would also encourage colleges to reconsider their current policy of offering worthless majors that cause their graduates to end up working at Starbucks.

Well they can damn sure afford it.

Here is a list of endowments of several colleges including Ivy League and highly selective colleges and universities in billions of dollars, fiscal year ending June 30, 2020 (from the NACUBO-TIAA Study of Endowments):

• Harvard U. – $40.5
  • Yale U. – $31.2
  • Princeton – $26.5
  • MIT – $18.4
  • UPenn – $14.8
  • Columbia – $11.2
  • Northwestern U. – 10.9
  • UChicago – $8.2
  • Cornell U. – $7.2
  • Johns Hopkins U. – $6.7
  • Dartmouth College – $5.9
  • Brown U. – $4.3
  • Carnegie Mellon U. – $2.6

This is my own writing:

Student debt forgiveness should be funded by fraudulent colleges that sold worthless degrees, instead of by innocent taxpayers​

By Daniel Alman (aka Dan from Squirrel Hill)

January 17, 2022

Democrats think that innocent taxpayers should be forced to pay off student debt.

I think this is a horrible idea.

I’m a Libertarian, which means that I am against punishing innocent taxpayers.

It also means that I, unlike Democrats, understand the horrible incentives that would be created if innocent taxpayers were forced to pay off student debt. Such a policy would encourage colleges to raise their tuitions even more than they already have, and would also encourage future students to borrow even more money than what had been borrowed by past students. This would make the problem of student debt worse, not better.

By comparison, my proposal would not do these harmful things. On the contrary, my proposal would cause colleges to think very hard before they encourage their students and potential students to borrow money. It would also encourage colleges to reconsider their current policy of offering worthless majors that cause their graduates to end up working at Starbucks.
The only problem with this theory is that colleges don't care where you get the money, as long as they get it in the end.

Forum List

Back