Struggling On $174,000 A Year

Republicans will defend ANYTHING their toolie politicians do. If this had been, oh say, Nancy Pelosi bitching about her 174K salary, the right would be apoplectic about it.

You know, I'm one of those "bloated government workers" the right is always attacking. I am the sole supporter of a family of four, I live in Northern California and make considerably less than 174 thousand. My boss, an elected official, makes just about as much as this douche bag and my manager makes just slightly less than that (about $140K). Did their cost share of pension and benefits just go up? Nope, but mine did. My benefits cost share increased by 3% while they contribute NOTHING to their pensions and benefits (which they get for life...my benefits end when I retire). Are they being required to take a 2% pay cut in the form of a furlough day? Nope, but mine did and I have to take a full day without pay in the next two months.

Keep attacking "the little guy" and defending people like this. I'm sure it will serve ya'll well come the next election...

Last edited:
If you are making $174k/year and are struggling you are a financial retard.

there was some player,forget his name, a few years back with the 76ers who made 13 mill a year and wanted his contract re-negotiated.....he was pissed because he had to pay for his families health Ins.....felt the sixers should pick that up.....what a dick....

I believe you are thinking about Latrell Spreewell back in like '03 or '04 complaining that he "had a family to feed"

thats the guy Artie..... thanx.

Republicans will defend ANYTHING their toolie politicians do. If this had been, oh say, Nancy Pelosi bitching about her 174K salary, the right would be apoplectic about it.

You know, I'm one of those "bloated government workers" the right is always attacking. I am the sole supporter of a family of four, I live in Northern California and make considerably less than 174 thousand. My boss, an elected official, makes just about as much as this douche bag and my manager makes just slightly less than that (about $140K). Did their cost share of pension and benefits just go up? Nope, but mine did. My benefits cost share increased by 3% while they contribute NOTHING to their pensions and benefits (which they get for life...my benefits end when I retire). Are they being required to take a 2% pay cut in the form of a furlough day? Nope, but mine did and I have to take a full day without pay in the next two months.

Keep attacking "the little guy" and defending people like this. I'm sure it will serve ya'll well come the next election...

And you would be defending her till you were blue in the face, what's the difference?

I certainly don't consider that kind of income "rich", but to complain about it as a politician is incredibly fuckin' stupid.

Republicans will defend ANYTHING their toolie politicians do.

and Democrats dont?......

No, not to the extend that the right does. The right operates in lock step. Do you not remember the Bush years? Did you EVER hear the likes of O'Reilly, Limbaugh or Hannity questioning a THING that Bush did?

Tune into progressive radio for a day...they bash the current President as much as the right does for goodness sake.

Republicans will defend ANYTHING their toolie politicians do.

No, not to the extend that the right does. The right operates in lock step. Do you not remember the Bush years? Did you EVER hear the likes of O'Reilly, Limbaugh or Hannity questioning a THING that Bush did?

Tune into progressive radio for a day...they bash the current President as much as the right does for goodness sake.

That is VERY true, SW.

WE also see this playing on this aboard, too.

Although it is fairly clear from perspective of this boards self proclaiming conservatives I must be a leftie, I'm on record here faulting OBAMA pretty much every day.

I cannot think of any conservative on this board who is remotely as critical of the GOP as I am of the DNC.

I find it pathetic how the definition of rich is being defined down to families that make $174K per year. By the 2012 election, it's going to be below $100K, fo shizzle.

I find it pathetic that cons insist on warping every discussion about money into a 'definition of rich.' Who the eff said anything about the 'definition of rich,' besides of course, you?

I find it pathetic that people in any party or from any political persuasion constaly obsess over how much money a person makes rather than who they are as a person.

Whether someone is rich or poor doesn't make them any less my brother (though them being female would make them my sister).

Class is an illusion. It's a political construct. You cannot end class warfare until you stop seeing people as rich or poor and start recognizing them as your fellow man regardless of their wealth.

If one man through his labor makes more than me, then good for him! If another man through his labor makes less, than I'll do what I can to help better himself and survive.

We need to let go of our pride and our coveteousness. Be grateful for what we have and stop wanting what others have.

That's not it.

The way our government has chosen to distribute good and services to it's people is through the economy..and that economy is based on Capitalism. It's something I agree on very much, because, done well it's an engine that is self sustaining, gives everyone a "buy in" to their own lives and government at large. Capitalism thrives when a government is free from corruption and liberally governs. It does not thrive when the opposite is in place. Once you remove "competition" the economy you are left with is no longer Capitalism. And it's as much a threat to a Democratic Republic, and a very real one at that, then the multiple threats conservatives obsess over day in and day out.

If you create a class of "Super Wealthy" people with unlimited access to those in power..then those Super Wealthy people ultimately become the power. And we are in the process of doing just that.

Just ask the public option how the dems are in lock step, or the war in Libya, or extension of the Bush tax cuts, or Dennis Kucinich...

Now, I gave several examples of people criticizing Obama. None of them were dismissed as being DINO's. Try to find the same criticisms from the Right about Bush. Andrew Sullivan comes to mind but he was dismissed as being a "fake" conservative

That is VERY true, SW.

WE also see this playing on this aboard, too.

Although it is fairly clear from perspective of this boards self proclaiming conservatives I must be a leftie, I'm on record here faulting OBAMA pretty much every day.

I cannot think of any conservative on this board who is remotely as critical of the GOP as I am of the DNC.

That's what the left does...we question. That's not a BAD thing necessarily and I certainly support keeping the President's "feet to the fire", but jeez...take time out and celebrate accomplishments every once in a while. This President has actually got a lot done. Is it all the things a President Kucinich would do? No, but I'm not just a far left liberal progressive, I'm also a realist. There will never be a President Kucinich so you gotta work with what you got and what we got is a centrist Democrat.

Weird.

On one hand he claims to be just getting by.
Then it shows that he actually is broke.
Then he says he's for pay cuts, even to himself.

Aside from that.

FU Duffy!

If you can't get by on $174K of our money, you need to move along and not try to lead.

Sure ... and conservatism is about making a few hundred people rich and everyone else poor :cuckoo:
True but we're using rich and poor in different ways. You're using it as a liberal religious point that you're poor if someone else has more money then you. You can have a house, two cars, cable TV and enough food to be a heifer in your system and be poor because some rich cock sucking bastard has more money then you do. In my system you're rich if you are a free man in control of your own destiny operating in a free market for employees and consumers.

I don't suffer from wealth envy and you don't value being a free man. We'd never see it the same way.

Not being a nutter, I don't see it either way.

Yes, no doubt to you someone who advocates the idea you are a free man who makes your own choices, lives with the consequences of your choices and allows others to do the same would best be described to you as a "nutter"

$174K is just his salary, it doesn't include his bennies.

It was just a week or two ago that the rightwingers were melting down over how rich teachers are in Wisconsin.

Lie

It's was about breaking the state budget.

Lie

Bargaining rights have nothing to do with the budget

Yep considering that they pass that without a quorum which means it had NO EFFECT on the budget. But republicans are full of lies, its to cover up their true agenda to destroy the american dream.

$174K is just his salary, it doesn't include his bennies.

It was just a week or two ago that the rightwingers were melting down over how rich teachers are in Wisconsin.

Lie

Lie

Lie. They have everything to do with the budget. The Bargaining Rights are used to negotiate for excessive pension benefits and lifetime health insurance, which are crushing state and local governments across the country.

Lie

Lie

Lie. They have everything to do with the budget. The Bargaining Rights are used to negotiate for excessive pension benefits and lifetime health insurance, which are crushing state and local governments across the country.

Lie

They already agreed to cut benes which in your words "are crushing state and local governments across the country" and they went after bargaining rights anyway for shits and giggles

People who obsess over how much $$ others make,really are miserable Losers. Losers will always hate Winners. It has been that way long long before there ever was a United States. The Democrats just exploit this reality. So you're never gonna get through to a bitter Loser. Don't even try. They love to wallow in their Loserdom. It's all about blaming everyone else for them being Losers. But please keep in mind Losers,without the Winners you would all be much worse off. Who do you think pays for your Welfare? Just something for you Losers to chew on next time you start whining about the "Evil" Rich. You actually need the Rich. You're just too ignorant to understand this.

Last edited:
Lie

Lie

They already agreed to cut benes which in your words "are crushing state and local governments across the country" and they went after bargaining rights anyway for shits and giggles

They would not be permanent cuts. They can use Collective Bargaining to reverse the cuts. The point is to fix the long term fiscal solvency problems.

But as you don't even grok managing a $174K household budget, statewide finance is clearly above your pay grade.

Lie

They would not be permanent cuts. They can use Collective Bargaining to reverse the cuts. The point is to fix the long term fiscal solvency problems.

But as you don't even grok managing a $174K household budget, statewide finance is clearly above your pay grade.

I dont know what you're saying here...

Like I said, it wasnt about the budget because they already agreed to cuts. But the beast wanted more for no reason.

People who obsess over how much $$ others make,really are miserable Losers. Losers will always hate Winners. It has been that way long long before there ever was a United States. The Democrats just exploit this reality. So you're never gonna get through to a bitter Loser. Don't even try. They love to wallow in their Loserdom. It's all about blaming everyone else for them being Losers. But please keep in mind Losers,without the Winners you would all be much worse off. Who do you think pays for your Welfare? Just something for you Losers to chew on next time you start whining about the "Evil" Rich. You actually need the Rich. You're just too ignorant to understand this.

Couldn't agree more. If the people obsessing about what others have were to put as much effort into bettering themselves they might be surprised what might be accomplished.

It's just easier for them to blame others for their own failures than it is to do what it takes to be successful. Some folks grow out of it, the rest remain liberals for life.

Forum List

Back