Stay hydrated!

Confederate Soldier

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2021
Southerner trapped in a yankee state
Today I had a medical scare that was 100% preventable, and it was my fault.

I was at the end of my 12 hour factory shift, and I was in "the zone". I drank water throughout my shift, so I didn't think anything of it. I thought I was okay. The last hour, I slacked off, and didn't drink anything. I found my groove, thought I had enough water already, and didn't think anything of it. 15 minutes until the end of my shift, I noticed that I had stopped sweating. I couldn't focus my eyes either. I couldn't read the labels that I was supposed to put on the pallets. I knew what was wrong, and ran over to the water cooler, but by then it was too late. Management was walking by, and they knew that I was the "new guy" so they asked how my shift went. I looked at them, but I couldn't focus on their faces. Tiff, the head of HR, asked if I was okay. I shook my head "no", and said "I can't see anything right". They ran me to the hospital, where I got some IV's and a lecture from the doctor. I already knew the dangers, but I thought I was fine. I know that I am going to be the subject of next weeks safety meeting. I was released after a while, and I drove back to the factory (they took me in my own car, while another person followed to pick up my driver) to let everyone know I was okay. I felt bad for scaring everyone.

Don't be a dipshit like me. Drink water.

I was at the end of my 12 hour factory shift, and I was in "the zone". I drank water throughout my shift, so I didn't think anything of it. I thought I was okay. The last hour, I slacked off, and didn't drink anything. I found my groove, thought I had enough water already, and didn't think anything of it. 15 minutes until the end of my shift, I noticed that I had stopped sweating. I couldn't focus my eyes either. I couldn't read the labels that I was supposed to put on the pallets. I knew what was wrong, and ran over to the water cooler, but by then it was too late. Management was walking by, and they knew that I was the "new guy" so they asked how my shift went. I looked at them, but I couldn't focus on their faces. Tiff, the head of HR, asked if I was okay. I shook my head "no", and said "I can't see anything right". They ran me to the hospital, where I got some IV's and a lecture from the doctor. I already knew the dangers, but I thought I was fine. I know that I am going to be the subject of next weeks safety meeting. I was released after a while, and I drove back to the factory (they took me in my own car, while another person followed to pick up my driver) to let everyone know I was okay. I felt bad for scaring everyone.

Once this occurs it's very easy for it to happen again. Drink one propel or sports drink a day. or mix with water. You can also use a neck wrap that you can cool as well that works well.

Download that to your phone

Our super intendent passed slap out yesterday. Was hauled off to the hospital. We think it was Diabetes related that and drinking too much on weekends.

He walked into a connex box and dropped.......Other company was there who got him the ambulance.

There's something wrong with your story. I would suspect:

Excessively high temperatures in the working environment.
You've misrepresented the time without drinking and the amount you had drank before the symptoms.
A mis-diagnosis of being dehydrated, when the problem was drinking too much. (less likely)

Check out safe working requirements per OSHA.

You've misrepresented the time without drinking and the amount you had drank before the symptoms.
A mis-diagnosis of being dehydrated, when the problem was drinking too much. (less likely)

In very hot conditions it happens quick........Where I work the heat index gets 115 to 125 because of the equipment near you.........Steam leaks...........Warehouses are hot too if not enough ventillation.

Seen too many drop...........Been forced to medical myself once a long while back. Nature of the beast.

It's pretty hot in there, and I was sweating a lot, and it's very, very active work. I have no reason to misrepresent anything, it happened that quick.

Is the place not air conditioned?

It isn't. It's a large facility, and the doors are always open to the warehouse, so air conditioning would be a total waste. Fans are always running, water coolers are everywhere, and they give out those blue towels you wet and put around your neck. I thought I was good enough to last, I was so proud of the pace I was keeping, I didn't think I needed a drink just yet.

The best course of action from a worker's POV. Have your union/non-union safety representative provide the safe working requirements per OSHA. I would assume that the requirements would be similar to Canada's in high temperature environments. Specified break times in a cooler place should already be well known and specified.

Your company will place the blame on you, the worker, for not familiarizing yourself with the limitations stated by OSHA.

If this can take place in your safety meeting, the crew will learn from it and start to abide by the rules. If the company objects to workers abiding by the rules in any way, it must be recorded.

That places the onus on the company to ensure that safe working conditions and rules governing, will be adhered to. The company will then understand that an accident resulting because of neglect of safe working standards will leave the company liable.

Any questions? Just ask. I served in the role of union safety chairman in a plant the employed more than 3000 workers for a period of time close to 10 years. Beware of the company's attempts to keep the incident out of the spotlight in a safety meeting.

Don't lose this opportunity! Otherwise this situation could result in injured or dead workers with nobody to take the blame but themselves!

It isn't. It's a large facility, and the doors are always open to the warehouse, so air conditioning would be a total waste. Fans are always running, water coolers are everywhere, and they give out those blue towels you wet and put around your neck. I thought I was good enough to last, I was so proud of the pace I was keeping, I didn't think I needed a drink just yet.
There's now no doubt that rules for high heat environments are being ignored.
The cool wet towels and the fans are the evidence.

If you work in a non-union shop, best of luck!

It's pretty hot in there, and I was sweating a lot, and it's very, very active work. I have no reason to misrepresent anything, it happened that quick.
If you're not aware of OSHA's requirements for high temperature work environments, you need to make yourself aware as soon as possible. I can only offer my professional advice and the rest is up to you.

Photo copy this and have it posted throughout the work place!

There's now no doubt that rules for high heat environments are being ignored.
The cool wet towels and the fans are the evidence.

If you work in a non-union shop, best of luck!

Day shift, every half hour everyone is given a 15 minute break in the air conditioned break room, during the summer months. I work night shift. It's pretty stuffy, often quite warm, but it's the constant activity that makes it suck. Night shift doesn't get the breaks that day shift does.

My company genuinely cares about it's employees, and they try to make sure we are kept comfortable, to the best of their capabilities. They provide resources, and I was the dumbass who didn't take the recommended breaks, and actions such as drinking enough. That's another thing. When I did drink water, it wasn't enough. My dad was an EMT for 30 years. He was pissed when I talked to him on the phone earlier. I got a 15 minute lecture from the doctor, and an hour long tirade from my dad.

Too dehydrated too many times when young = kidney stones when you are older. No fun. I used to wring myself out bone dry once or twice a week for years, and I paid for it later.

Excellent advice. Thanks for the reminder. And don’t get down on yourself. You made a miscalculation. Shit happens. But at least you used it as a tool to warn others. That puts you in the “class act” league.

I'm no medical expert but I can tell from experience that some E.R. doctors don't graduate at the head of their class. A loss of vision episode ain't the result of lack of hydration. Get another opinion.

Forum List

Back